May 5th, 2008

McCain: "I channel surf like every body else"

Sen. John McCain said he has no opinion on the Democratic battle for a nominee.
Sen. John McCain said he has no opinion on the Democratic battle for a nominee.

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (CNN) – John McCain, who consistently avoids commenting on the Democratic horserace, was forced to discuss the ongoing fight between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama on Monday when a voter asked him: “What scenario is best for you?”

McCain admitted he watches cable news coverage of the Demoratic race “like everybody else.”

“I observe with interest,” McCain answered. “I have heard one argument that says this that the competition between Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama allows me a chance to establish roots, unite the party, et cetera.”

“And then I have heard the other argument on the other side, and I channel surf like every body else, that this is a chance for the Democrats to sign up new voters and invigorate their party,” he said. “I really have no opinion because I really have no influence on it.”

Despite McCain’s ability to get his message out relatively unfettered as the Democratic candidates do battle, he suggested his current advantage ultimately may not matter.

“I do believe that most Americans do make a decision generally after the conventions,” he continued. “They watch the conventions and then they start watching the campaign.”

On the issues of health care, judicial appointments, taxes and national security, McCain rattled off a litany of policy differences between himself and the Democrats. He said the general election will offer “as probably as stark a choice as Americans have ever had.”

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Mary

The Republicans want Hillary to win for the simple fact being she will never beat Senator MCCain.

May 5, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  2. maria Mtl, Can.

Oh are you medical report is ready now, ,,,

May 5, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  3. mcd

Obama had 6 delegates endorse him today – I think that is news, don't you CNN?

May 5, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  4. Sylvia

McCain,
    Do you surf the web?

May 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. marcelo

K,

Obama isn't arrogant, its that he's not petty like most of these people on here judging him.

And Obama isn't racist either. His pastor may have some anger about injustices he's witnessed during his life... but hey, my father (a chinese man) has the same anger against blacks... But that doesn't make me a racist... and as much as I'm dissappointed in my father's racial prejudism, I can understand that he had different experiences than me growing up, and beneath that layer of his personality, he's a great dad, a strong catholic and loves his family and community very much... my hope is that time will heal his wounds.

Meanwhile, I don't excuse his outrageous behavior but I don't abandon his 28 years of love either.

May 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  6. Jed in Texas

Whos he kidding,he watches Faux News,thats why hes brain washed in right wing blather.He could have been the original Spanky in Our Gang.His Pastor is and end of the world zealot,whats that tell you?They want to save themselves and dont care who gets killed.

May 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. Doubting Thomas

If God brings this nation into judgment," he warns in an undated video on YouTube.com, "he will very likely release the terrorists you've let get here through the ridiculous immigration policy you refuse to stop, and this nation is going to go through a bloodbath."

May 5, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Doubting Thomas

Reverend Hagee

McCain 08???

May 5, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. Anti K

Dear ignorant K, Please try with all of your lack of education to comment intelligently. The ignorant trailor trash of this nation will ruin this country just as they have by voting for George Bush.

Know your numbers, Hilary can not win!!

HILARY DROP OUT AND DO US ALL A FAVOR.

But K can bough for only 30 bucks, cheap date!

May 5, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. KE

If Obama can pull off series of negative coverage like Hillary had to do with hers it will make him a stronger candidate. If two candidates can unite it will be much more stronger.

One of the reason Sen. Obama got good numbers of votes is remember all the media gave very good words and praises for him. Most of us relay on the news.

Remember how Hillary was bombarded with negative coverage and also lost all the black votes to Obama. Yet, Hillary still managed to get good half of the American votes (not including Michigan and Florida). Remember how the media and the Obama people wanted Hillary to get out before we even know the race is over.

Speaking positive about Obama was not the problem, the way the media and the Obama people went little too far belittling other candidate got some of us upset and question about the coverage and the fairness of the election.

We don't know what will happen when McCain comes in to focus.

May 5, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  11. John Smith

We need real change in the criteria for "voting" in any election for the presidency". Here is my proposal, and I await your comments:

Only people with at least an AA degree from a community college should vote for the nominee. That is, we need only those who are "informed" about policy issues to vote.

We expect our president to be brilliant and learned, so should the voters.

May 5, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  12. Mark

I really need to figure out a scam to rip off some of these Hillary supporters. Whether it be the gas tax or sniper fire, these guys will believe anything!

May 5, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  13. ne, Pa.

Obama's the only candidate that can shake-up Washington.
    Something has to change and it won't with McBush or Billary.

May 5, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  14. Anonymous

I wonder if CNN has a conscious or believes that what you put out into the world has any ramifications. Your coverage on the Wright controversy has only added to your rating & thats why you put it out there, you don't care that your actions just makes our country have increased racial divides.
    If Barack does not win because of this controversy will you even think about your hand in his demise, I wonder !! Maybe he could of been a great president that would of brought us together and made this country stronger well if he doesn't win I guess we will never know.

From a white girl

May 5, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  15. Knew Hilary

I am from Park Ridge Illinois and my family knew Hilary, we went to Main East High School and she is an elietist and was always better then everyone else. Her family is of privilege and were always Republicans. She use to work for Berry Goldwater and shares republican values, don't you really wonder why Rush Limbaugh is telling his audiance to voter for her, he really wants her in the White House. Rush hates John McCain!

May 5, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  16. kayla

IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE ( k ) WHOEVER YOU ARE! PUTZ! TO YOU.

May 5, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. Terrence - Winston Salem, NC

This dude really needs to go retire and chill out. We do NOT need 4 more years of Bush.

May 5, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  18. Robbie

Im learning this in school and it's an example of plain folk propaganda. Im in middle school.

May 5, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  19. Indra in FL

Obviously this is her MO – the day before a big primary she releases a negative ad. I hope Obama's camp figured this out by now and planned for this.

She is such a hypocrite – claims to care about "disenfranchised" voters in FL and MI, while all the while knowing that the ONLY way she can win is by disenfranchising the majority of voters who voted for Obama.

I swear, I used to not care if either she or Obama won at first. But the more I've seen her act and react, the less I like her.

May 5, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  20. Gloria

McCain doen't appear to have any comment or opinion on much of anything. I cannot wait for the debates between him and whoever becomes the Democrated nominee. They will be fun to watch.

May 5, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  21. Aces full of Kings

You have two choices, either get behind Barack Obama now and support him all the way to the general election, or, if Hillary wins, you can kiss the black vote and Obama supporters goodbye, and McCain will win. Think about it...Vote Barack Obama! If Obama is denied in the convention, you will most definitely have 12 years of Republican corruption. $5/gal gas is just around the corner.

May 5, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  22. mitchell

you have nothing to do with it,and yet you've spent most of your time bashing obama and trying to help hillary win ,because you know she would be easier to beat ,in the fall.

May 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. Doubting Thomas

Reverend Hagee

McCain 08????

May 5, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  24. Steve

I'm glad to hear that McCain can channel surf. Good for you, John!!!
    Have you ever heard of a thing called "The Internet"?

May 5, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |