May 6th, 2008

Awaiting one county

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton leads in Indiana by four points, 52-48. But heavily-Democratic Lake County has yet to report in. It’s home to one of the state’s largest cities, Gary – and a major bloc of African-American voters.

Lake County officials have said they are waiting to count all 11,370 absentee ballots before reporting results – but that’s just about all they’re saying.

“We have called a couple of times unsuccessfully,” Pam Potesta, Democratic co-director of the Election Division in the Indiana Secretary of State’s Office, told CNN Tuesday evening. “There was no answer. We haven’t heard anything. I don’t want to assume they are having problems, but they are a large county. One thing they have against them, if you want to call it that, is they had an extra hour because of the time change.”

Potesta added that “it is not uncommon” for larger counties to take a little longer in reporting their results.

1. Chris in Va.

If Obama wins Indiana after Hillary's "victory" speech I will probably wet my pants laughing!

May 6, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. Lana

Obama O8!!!!!

May 6, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. Niel, NY

I just heard Clinton's speech.
    I just cannot understand that HOW THE HELL SHE WILL GET THE NOMINATION?
    What does she have in her hat?
    Florida/Michigan?! WHY DID SHE AGREE TO ABIDE BY THE RULES IN FIRST PLACE?

Former Clinton Supporter.

ABC (Anybody But Clinton) '08

May 6, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  4. Bubba

It's over...

May 6, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  5. Obama '08

The county that will, if not give Obama the state, but make it a virtual tie.
    You can bank on that!

Hillary just admited defeat. She said she would work with the democratic nominee for president..ha! That doesn't sound like a victory speech to me.

May 6, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  6. Sarah

So much for Clintons landslide win in Indiana. OBAMA 08'

May 6, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  7. Tab

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!

May 6, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. Venus

Yeah – I hope Hillary thugs are not cheating!

Let's get this count over – it would be nice if those votes are for Obama and he wins Indiana!

May 6, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. Paul

hmm.. seems she has already claimed the victory!!

is it just me..or does her voice drive anybody else INSANE???
    that speach should used instead of water boarding!!
    just "wah wah wah"...

May 6, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  10. Andrew in CA

Will be interesting to see. This county is half the population of Marion County which was carried by Obama with 67%. If Obama gets about 55% of the vote from the expected turnout of Marion he could possibly grab this state. Very exciting to watch!

May 6, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  11. crystal ball

It is over!!!!

Obama wins!

May 6, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  12. scott

Good for hear but I would like to know if the educated vote for Obama does that mean that Blacks have been lieing all these years about not being able to get a decent education?

May 6, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  13. EJ in TX

What a nail biter. Interestingly Clinton's speech seemed like she was sitting taking notes from Obama's. Since this county is the largest, it could change the game. Will Clinton come back out and concede?

May 6, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  14. rachel

You guys just wont stop.

May 6, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  15. Stephen David

Ding-Dong Hillary is out of it!

May 6, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  16. Matt

For someone who has long been a supporter of Hilary Clinton, I must say that after tonight I agree that she should drop out for the good of the Democratic Party and give her support to Barack Obama.

May 6, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  17. Joe

Hillary is breaking. You could tell in her speech tonight that she knows the end is near. I hope that she does the right thing and steps down, paving the way for Obama to begin preparations to take on McCain. It will be tough for her to bow out, but it is what the party needs right now. I think as Obama comes from behind and wins Indiana, her fate will be sealed.

May 6, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  18. LeanO

I have been watching a trend unfold, and that is that most of Hillary's speeches have tended to sound more like they were paraphrased or atleast developed out of Barack Obama's lines. The media has not caught this yet....Today was worse, she almost had the same things to say..This is surprising really

May 6, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. Brent

Listen people...If Obama gets the nomination, he will lose OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, AND FLORIDA very handily...I doubt even Obama can win the presidency without those states, so say hi to President McCAIN.... OH WAIT, Obama will win Utah, Alaska, and other western states.... Yeah, right.....

May 6, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  20. Rene in PA

It's not surprising that a larger poplulace county takes longer to vote.

But this does remind me of a headline that I read briefly a couple of weeks ago that Hillary's campaign people were trying to block votes from mail-in voters (in particular, military overseas votes). Any truth to that?

May 6, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  21. Barb in Tn

Something fishy in Gary IN. Could it be Chicago politics as usual? If Obama pulls out a win because of Gary I demand a recount. I lived too long in the Chicago area not to know somethings rotten when I see it.

May 6, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. Andrew in CA

Lake County's Elections website has crashed. This is too funny.

May 6, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  23. Bob

It appears we are finally going to find out who the Democratic Nominee will be. It appears O'bama will be it. That gives time for the rest of us to decide who is best for the Country. Most Clinton supporters will be hard to bring back to the fold. Also the Republicans will start heavy bombardments against O'Bama and praise Hillary's valiant run for the Nomination. Do not forget her and John McCain's close friendship. The last gas holiday ideas were the same for both of them. Hillary is much more moderate than O'Bama, so expect the socialist labeling to start. Also expect an African-American to be featured at the Republican Convention. Here in Arkansas expect Mc Cain to win unless Hillary is on the ticket. I still expect her to return to the Senate and run for Governor of New York. She can than run for President in 2012 should O'Bama lose to McCain. It's is a very interesting election. Many people ask with 300 million people are these the best we have.

May 6, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  24. Super Delegates

Listen up Super Delegates, doesn't the fact that Rush Limbaugh encouraging his listeners to vote for Hillary send a message to you! The GOP cannot win an election against Obama, and they know it! Hillary has more negatives and baggage than any candidate in history! She will be a easy target for them in the fall! I believe that the super delegates should make their move starting tomorrow! Come on Gore! We know you cannot stand the Clinton's, make the first move! Edwards you better step up too!

May 6, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  25. Caroline

I read this blog to get some idea of what Hillary Clinton had to say. When she came on the TV I had to turn it off. I use to just turn the sound off because I can't stand to listen to her, but now I can't even look at her.

May 6, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |