May 6th, 2008

Awaiting one county

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton leads in Indiana by four points, 52-48. But heavily-Democratic Lake County has yet to report in. It’s home to one of the state’s largest cities, Gary – and a major bloc of African-American voters.

Lake County officials have said they are waiting to count all 11,370 absentee ballots before reporting results – but that’s just about all they’re saying.

“We have called a couple of times unsuccessfully,” Pam Potesta, Democratic co-director of the Election Division in the Indiana Secretary of State’s Office, told CNN Tuesday evening. “There was no answer. We haven’t heard anything. I don’t want to assume they are having problems, but they are a large county. One thing they have against them, if you want to call it that, is they had an extra hour because of the time change.”

Potesta added that “it is not uncommon” for larger counties to take a little longer in reporting their results.

1. Mr. Reese

Im from Gary and i know that the issue there is jobs Inland Steel, U.S Steel are your core base of buisness in that city that has turned there backs on the people of Gary and the city development . By Hilary coming to the city and all that is said over drinks is that we need to stop out sourceing our jobs meant nothing to the core citizen of Gary . The state goverment has turned its back on the city and its time for change and it start tonight .

May 6, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  2. Jay

Obama fans dont get it...Obama will never win it all.

May 6, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  3. rusty

Indiana goes to -HILLARY!!!
    And she's the candidate that can beat McCain handily. Why?
    Answers: Florida,Michigan,Ohio, Pennsylvania. Another answer:
    I am not voting for NObama if he gets nominated. I live in Illinois. If he cannot help his constituents here in Illinois, how can he help the nation? Nothing substantial done in his own backyard , just the good old rhetoric and platitude.

May 6, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  4. nick furdeck

I am a obama supporter but If cnn thinks that he will carry 60% of the lake county vote they are mistaken. yes, Gary is a large city and mostly african american but Hilary Clinton covered every city in our county and east chicago indiana is either hispanic or ethnic senior citizen which is a hilary demograhic. Im from Hammond and I would be shocked if clinton didnt carry the vote as her support has been overwhelming. The Rev wright commercials were not as prevelent as reported. Obama might not even win the county and it would be strickly on lack of campaining.

May 6, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  5. mgoody

If Obama does not win Indiana, He again could not put her away. I will say that Hillary is a hell of a fighter. She is a very strong woman. The one thing you can say about me is that I am loyal. I will not vote for Obama. I will stay home for the first time in my life. I just can't bring myself to vote for him and a lot of other people I know WILL be staying home. I think most of you Obama fans have been very rude, mean and nasty. No issues just personal attacks.Maybe it says something about Obama.

May 6, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  6. Des

If I wanted a perfect person for President I will pretend to forget all the things that have happen with Obama in the past week and vote for him but the fact that he too is not perfect , then worst of all has NO RECORD ON ACCOMPLISHING ANYTHING except for telling me he wants to change America, he wants to change the way things work in washington etc please then don't count on my vote. Atleast I know what McCain has done in the past, I believe he will stick to his believe and for that he gets my vote.

May 6, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  7. Katie

mgoody, hillary is a hell of a fighter my sweet little tootsie. She's one hell of a liar! and a cheater!

May 6, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  8. Sylvia

Good for Barack Obama with a great win in North Carolina!!

And, it would appear that there is still time to win that extra catch-up vote in and around Gary - All that is needed is an extra 40,000 votes to get Barack up to Hillary. Wouldn't that upset be something?

Superdelegates take note - Obama is on the way up. I believe Sen. Clinton should plan on continuing her career in the Senate for the duration. She has been a formidable opponent, and has a lot of potential to offer her services for the good of the people through her position in the Senate. Thank you Hillary, for being such a good sport and bowing out at this juncture.

You go Barack Obama!!!

May 6, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  9. Zeb Martin

Obama wins. America loses.
    Clinton wins. America loses a bit less.
    McCain wins. America goes to sleep.

May 6, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  10. Deborah

Hillary please GO HOME!!!!

May 6, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  11. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

I think Obama just won INDIANA!!!!! The liar and cheater can go home and cry with Bill and Chelsea

May 6, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  12. tailored purple

This is my first blog ever. Hats off to CNN for trying to get the story straight when all of network projected early in Indiana. Whatever happens, CNN is the best! BTW, John King is the REAL King of CNN! Job well done.

May 7, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  13. Sarah

ONLY A 20,000 vote difference now. No landslide here for Clinton. No winner called yet. OBAMA 08'

May 7, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  14. Very Sad U.S. Citizen

This is a very sad day in America. The election has obviously been rigged to favor Obama. All of us, Obama and Hillary supporters, need to take a stand on this. I've lost faith in my country - it appears our elections are just as crooked as those in third world countries - how very very sad.

May 7, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  15. mellowyellow

HILLARY '08!!

May 7, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  16. sjp

hillary is a heck of a fighter, she has been knocked down 2 or three times and got back up, but this round she has recieved a huge standing 8 count and any fight judge has to wonder if the refs (superdelegates) are gonna stop the fight. i would.

May 7, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  17. Tell the truth

Mgoody. I'm a Obama support and I'm loyal but I would vote for Hilliary. Please do not beleive all the other blogger. They might not be a true Dem could be Rep. Please we all want the same thing.

May 7, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  18. Mallory

Some of us well educated people would like to hear fair and balanced reporting from CNN. Please keep in mind the fact that no one has reached the magic number making them the candidate – so quite calling the race before the convention.

I would like my Michigan vote to count! Perhaps if super delegates were an all or nothing deal for the winner of their state we could end this stalemate.

There should be praise for both sides as they both have run a fantastic race: bringing out more voters than many national elections. How about praising rather than tearing down the candidates and inventing controversy where none would otherwise exists.

CNN are you aware of the power of your influence on this race? Your speculations and opinions are causing more divisions than would naturally exist in this race.

May 7, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. dave e

Hillary, as the more experienced candidate, should be the nominee. It is painfully obvious.

May 7, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  20. Lissa

The bitterness of Clinton supporters is sad. Saying they won't vote for Obama – or won't vote at all – is sour grapes. Obama said it tonight: this is the Democratic party, not the Obama or Clinton party. Unity is what is needed if the Dems are going to win in November; support your party and don't let the loss of your candidate allow another Bush term to happen...

May 7, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  21. "Typical"

If he cant even stand the pressure now from Hillary and the media....How can he handle John McCain and the Republican party? This is hilarious, just how delusional you obama supporters are! Wake up, people! It's like your in the fog of "change", well do you know just what that "change" is all about? Joke's on you "If" he wins in Nov. You might not like the "change" he's gonna dish out at you!

May 7, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  22. Tim, Seattle

Wow! Obama gaining now at 51-49....Yesssss!

May 7, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  23. Gina

Thank you N.C. for supporting Obama..."YES WE CAN" for the sake of our Dem. party and our country...without HOPE...we're left with nothing but DESPAIR.

May 7, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  24. Connie from Ohio

don't make this a black white thing. I don't like seeing you break down %white %black %women %men % elderly. We are all people and we want Obama to win!!

May 7, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  25. Keith Prewitt

Well, regardless of who wins tonight (no matter how you slice it) the Dems are losing it. Does America really understand this process? Does everyone remember how they kept asking themselves how Bush (Jr.) won not once, but twice?

While I hate to admit it, Obama will never be elected this go around. The voters (the ones that vote that is) are going to put McCain in office out of spite.

Lichtenstein here I come....

May 7, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |