May 6th, 2008

Schneider: Obama makes gains with women

(CNN) – Why did Barack Obama do so much better among white women in Indiana? He won two out of five, after winning fewer than a third of that group in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Could it be that Hillary Clinton’s increasingly tough persona – the ‘Annie Oakley’ factor, as Barack Obama dubbed it – is costing her among the women voters who have been her base throughout the primary season?

1. JC

Perhaps it takes a woman to see another. They are saturated with Hillary's negative attacks. They also talked to their neighbors in Ohio and decided not to be cheated again by the Clintons.

May 6, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  2. Amy in Iowa

Women saw right through Hillary's pander-mania. We do not like our intelligence insulted, even if it is a woman candidate doing the insulting.

May 6, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  3. Paul Dobro

Obama supporters, please don't jump on Hillary! She is a teamate, not an enemy. Focus your energy on the real enemy, the GOP.

Dems Unite = Obama 08

May 6, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  4. Jot

Schneiider you support Obama who cares?

May 7, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. Mary, Illinois

I like to believe that I am a fairly smart, professional woman and I trust Hilary as much as any GREAT car salesman! Everything about the way she carries herself is fake. The tears, the comedy, the tough act, all of it! I appreciate that Hilary is a strong confident woman and she has demonstrated that she can play with the big boys thats for sure! For the first time in my life, I find myself watching politics, voting for Obama, donating money, etc. I believe in Obama and everything he stands for! He has the drive and the heart that this country needs to break the sterotypes, barriers and other issues to help this country move forward and make new pages for the history books! However, if Hilary is nominated the Democratic nominee, my vote will go to McCain!

May 7, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  6. saiku

Hillary is not playing like a teammate, rather an enemy. Creating scandals to undermine barack but the american people of all races and creed knows better and obama will be the next president.

GO OBAMA!

May 7, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  7. Geri

I hope the nastiness stays out of the blogs tonight. Obama may be the eventual nominee but lets remember this is the democratic party
    and we need to stay focused on winning the general election. Not on slamming the candidates and calling names.

May 7, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  8. sjp

i would believe that most women see the writing on the wall, yes she had a great shot at becoming the first female president, but a poorly run campaign, bad money management and a few mis-spoken words brought her down. i also think her pandering on the gas tax made her look a little foolish to most females on the go.

May 7, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  9. Andy from Alabama

He got what, a little better than a third of the white female vote? So...that just means McCain will get two thirds if Hillary is not the nominee.

May 7, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  10. douadavid, PA

Obama won only the racist black vote. Hillary got the vote from all races and genders.

May 7, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  11. Connie from Ohio

Have you read any of Obama's books he is a honest man and is trying to make a difference...give him a chance.

May 7, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  12. white woman for Obama

white women's support for Obama is no surprise ans what took them so long? Hillary is abbrasive, negative, very harsh and devisive.
    American women are much more positive and prefer a person of dignity and integrity. Hillary clinton has lied to the American people and as much as most women would love to vote for a woman, they are going to vote with integrity. I, myself wish there was a real good, honest, woman of integrity to vote for. I look forward to voting for Obama in November.

May 7, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  13. Kevin

It's not her faux toughness that is turning them off; it's the mockery she is making of feminism.

May 7, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  14. Peter

really? suddenly Hillary is a team player? you guys are the biggest jokers ever.

May 7, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  15. John

If it were not for Rush's cross-over voters Obama would have won Indiana by several points. This is something the Super-deligates must consider when deciding who they are going to vote for,

May 7, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  16. Hillary has serious issues

Hillary has morphed into something that is a steroid-hyped-up hybrid of old Chicago-style politics and Old West gunslinger. Even her shoulder pads on her suits and the tone of her voice has broadened and deepened. Why? Must she become a Goldwater Republican to win some states? She can't win a General Election with this new, phoney persona. Obama has more authenticity in one finger than the Rocky Balboa 'fighter.' Oh yeah, and who do you want to take the call at 3 a.m.?

May 7, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  17. Hillary has serious issues

Hillary has morphed into something that is a steroid-hyped-up hybrid of old Chicago-style politics and Old West gunslinger. Even her shoulder pads on her suits and the tone of her voice has broadened and deepened. Why? Why must she be a Goldwater Republican to win some states? She can't win a General Election with this new, phoney persona. Obama has more authenticity in one finger than the Rocky Balboa 'fighter.' Oh yeah, an who do you want to take the call at 3 a.m.?

May 7, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  18. Lyz in MD

I really think that Clinton has turned off a lot of people, both men and women. I mean, I was an Obama supporter from the start, but I used to defend her, and I really can't do that anymore. She's lived down to a lot of the smears that I used to execrate Republicans for using on her. I don't know how many sincere supporters (as opposed to Operation Chaos supporters) she has left. She has not been acting like a Democrat, and she has not been acting in the interest of the Democratic party.

As much as I would like to think of Clinton as a teammate, I am finding it increasingly difficult to do so. She pays lipservice to party unity but I have trouble believing that she is sincere about it, or that she expects her followers to think she is sincere about it, given how much damage her scorched-earth tactics (including repeatedly endorsing McBush over Obama) have done to the party.

May 7, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  19. I hear singing

Obama makes gains with women.....Priceless !

May 7, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  20. jAYjAY

The Obama bandwagon is leaving ..............jump on Hillary.. yes there is room for you

May 7, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  21. ChrisD

We must fight racism, let's vote either Hillary or McCain.

May 7, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  22. angelina aguilar st paul mn

all people support obama, it is just the media that label us, then use polls that we have no idea who they poll

NC and IN thank you thank you,

Obama 08

I called people in IN and they are very kind people who can see through the bosnia lie, the band aid gas tax relief, and all her blah blah blah

May 7, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  23. Kevin

He is not gaining on women. He is gaining bacause of high black population in certain states that just blindly vote for him. Don't you really know that?

May 7, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  24. Kev

I'm with you Paul. Empathize with Hillary's supporters. This is a close race, and it would suck if Obama was down 150 delegates.

Also, I found that I would often put the comments of Hillary's supporters in her mouth, which was unfair and just made me bitter (hah).

World Peace and Chicken Grease!

May 7, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  25. Lyz in MD

Please tell me ChrisD (who said "We must fight racism, let's vote either Hillary or McCain") was being ironic.

May 7, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |