May 6th, 2008

Will Republicans cause chaos in Indiana's Democratic primary?

CNN

Watch Query and Stacy discuss Indiana's Democratic primary.

(CNN) – Tuesday’s Democratic primary in Indiana is a major test for three campaigns: Hillary Clinton’s Barack Obama’s — and Rush Limbaugh’s.

Because many Republicans believe Sen. John McCain, the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee, has a better chance of beating Clinton in the general election, Limbaugh has encouraged listeners to his popular radio show to vote for the New York senator. Limbaugh’s pro-Clinton campaign has been dubbed “Operation Chaos.”

Some exit polls from Ohio and Texas suggest that Limbaugh’s “Operation Chaos” may have had an impact on results in both states.

Indiana “is so red and so Republican,” said Indianapolis radio host Jake Query, that one of the interesting questions on Tuesday “is how many people who are actually registered Republicans will now switch over for this primary and vote” for Clinton.

“There is some talk about that, there really is,” Query’s co-host Terri Stacy said Tuesday about Limbaugh’s campaign in favor of Clinton.

Query and Stacy host a morning news show on Indianapolis radio station WIBC. They discussed Indiana’s Democratic primary with CNN’s Alina Cho on American Morning. Indiana’s open primary system allows supporters of the Republican Party to vote in Tuesday’s Democratic contest between Clinton and Obama.

1. phillykat

Clinton is the easiest target because she LIED repeatedly. You folks who want to crucify Barack because of what his pastor said, are pathetic! It is possible to be a member of a church and disagree with some aspects of it, including a blow hard pastor or a wayward deacon or even trustee. For those of you who haven't lived the horror that is mostly the Black experience in America, I'll say this; educate yourselves about the true history of this country. If not, stick to the issues that affect us all. Nobody's pastor no matter how he speaks or no fellow board member is going to change this fix we're in.
    Please vote for change!!!!
    Obama '08

May 6, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. An American

IQ level of these comments=25

May 6, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Dedrick from Atlanta (in Portland)

Terrible....makes me sick.

May 6, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. nwcanadian

You can't violate the privacy of the voting booth. Who, or for what reasons, a person votes is entirely up to that person and cannot be subjected to "tests." A lot of people, not just those who follow Rush Limbaugh, don't make their final decision until they are standing in that booth.

May 6, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. Chuck in Alabama

Now you know why Howard Dean wanted the race to end early. So America wouldn't see how messed up the Democrat's primary season is.

All of the problems with the DNC are the responsibility of the Chairman. Howard Dean must go!!!

This race would have been over months ago, had it not been for his idiocy.

May 6, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Dave

Democrats have used voting across the aisle for years.

This is still a republic and anyone can vote for whom they choose.

May 6, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. Richard Head

This type of perversion of the democratic process is precisely why I left the Republican party after 31 years. It has totally undermined the credibitility of the party, cheapens the idea of democracy,
    and, in my opinion, borders on treason.

As a veteran who proudly served his country when many others managed to avoid service, I must say that I feel that this is an insult to every person who served and defended our country and its way of life. Rush, you have made an absolute mockery of the system you claim to be so supportive of.

That being said, I have not since become a Democrat, however I do now call myself a "Recovering Republican."

May 6, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Aren't you tired of it too?

I don't know about the rest of you Dems, but the MSM has exhausted the Rev. Wright story to such a degree that I don't think he would be as effective a weapon as the republicans think.

I think the silver lining here as that this saturation media is making many of us desensitized to this issue. I know I'm sick to death of it already!!

VOTE ISSUES 08

May 6, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  9. southerner

I don't see what people say is so "unAmerican" about a Republican voting in a Democratic primary, if the state party's rules specifically allow it.

The Republican primary is over. McCain won. The only choice voters now have is who they want on the other ticket. It's possible that some will vote based on whom they think is more beatable. I also believe that many will vote based on whom they feel would be the best alternative (or at least the less bad alternative) if McCain loses. Clearly Republicans are as split on that as Democrats, since the crossover voters are splitting down the middle in most states.

If the Republican race had been over when my state voted, I would have voted in the Democratic primary, not because I give a hill of beans what Rush says, but because I find one of the Democrats to be a much worse choice than the other.

Besides, as I said before, the rules specifically allow it. Keep in mind, these same rules are the ones that are repeatedly being used to defend not counting the votes in FL and MI, two states who make up 10% of the US population. If THOSE RULES make that outcome fair, thhen THESE RULES make this just as fair.

May 6, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Tea Party

Dear Erik from Dallas,
    What exactly do you think is the driver in all this? OpCHAOS is in DIRECT, yes DIRECT, response to all the Dems and so-called independents (sorry, if you only vote for Dems and REFUSE to vote for a Conservative now and then, you technically cannot be called an independent) who crossed over in Republican open primaries gave us McCain as the Republican nominee.

Nothing illegal has been done in OpCHAOS. Changing your political party is not illegal. Voting for the candidate of your choice is not illegal. In fact, my grandfather said the only time he ever voted Republican was to keep McGovern out of the White House.

OpCHAOS is in no way "tampering" with the election process. The national parties control the specifics (ie rules) on how they want to select their nominee. The primary process is arbitrary, at best, and is not governed by the Constitution.

Democrats are simply the Gang that Can't Shoot Straight. They were handed this election on a silver platter, but still managed to open the door up into their noses. If these clowns can't even manage the process to SELECT their candidate, how in the hell do you think they can defend against Global Jihad?

May 6, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. nina

What a disgrace. But very easy to fix.

Once you register to vote for a primary or caucus....you will stay registered for the same party in the GE.....no switchbacks.

How sad that this has been going on. I'm from Canada and heard about this well before the Texas and Ohio primaries.

I'm sure the media was well aware also.....just ratings prove more important than true democracy.

Hopefully the SD's are paying attention. I believe that's why they were elected.....to ensure democracy works.

May 6, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |