May 7th, 2008

Analysis: As Obama nears finish line, can Clinton rebound?

After Tuesday night, Obama took a larger lead in pledged delegates as well as the overall popular vote.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Barack Obama took a major step Tuesday toward securing the Democratic presidential nomination. Not only did he score a convincing victory in North Carolina; but by drawing to a virtual tie in Indiana he made an already difficult path for Hillary Clinton to the presidential nomination significantly more challenging.

But Clinton vowed to soldier on, telling supporters at a rally in Indiana "it's full-speed on to the White House."

Obama wakes up this morning with a larger lead in pledged delegates as well as the overall popular vote. For Clinton, time for a rebound may be slipping away.

Full story

1. Gail

Keep up the nasty comments Obama supporters, we already hate Obama.

May 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. Freddie, La

HRC won IN by 2% and 7% of that was from Rep., come on Dems let unite so we don't have 4 more years of McBush. And please HRC supports let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. Are you better off now than you were 7 years ago?

May 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. voter in PA

And I wonder how the results might have shifted had everyone had the opportunity to vote!!

May 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. kswing88

Obama has won the White House by beating the "presumptive" Clinton nominee. McCain can't stand a chance. He's still taking Econ 101 to get prepared to get overwhelmed by the Obama train.

Obama '08

May 7, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  5. James B. New Jersey

The biggest difference I see is their foreign policy stance and their healthcare stance. I like the healthcare my company offers and I don’t want them to decide to have be pay into a government-sponsored plan that will fine me if I do not participate. I also don’t want any more war in the Middle East while gas prices and food prices soar. I think we need to talk to Iran not obliterate them. But I could be wrong so if someone could convince me please I welcome you.

May 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. kswing88

Will Hillary still push for the gas tax suspension for the summer now that she is further behind? Pandering goes NOWHERE!

Obama '08

May 7, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. Ben

I keep reading posts where Clinton supporters are telling Obama supporters they better be nice. To quote the person you support "If you can't stand the heat . . ."
    This is a political blog. Some of these writers actually are 10 year olds, so I wouldn't get so upset.

May 7, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  8. june

Yes she can Yes she will

May 7, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  9. Sam

Hillary has sung her last note..
    She should take a bow and exit left...

May 7, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  10. Al

If Hillary really has a better chance to beat McCain in the fall, then why are Republicans coming out in huge numbers to vote against Obama in the primary? Because they're scared of him!! They know they would have no problem mopping the floor with Hillary so they're trying to get her the democratic nomination.

Wake up Hillary supporters. Your candidate lost. Get over it. Your arguments are weak.

May 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  11. Gail

RON:

Florida supported Hillary. Where were you?

May 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  12. Jeff - Schaumburg, IL

the answer is no, Hillary does not stand a chance. Obama has become the presumptive nominee, and it is time for Hillary Clinton to begin fighting for the Democratic Party in the battle to put President Obama in the White House.

Congratulations on sealing the deal Barack!!

May 7, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. Kevin

Go Obama – 2008 & 2012

May 7, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  14. lostin ohio

stop the attacks dems and lets win this thing in nov.hrc supporters you are hurting right now but by nov we will heal and join together and get mCcain out of here

May 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. Clare

If this were a basketball game the crowd would be chanting "It's all over", shaking the keys and warming up the bus. Obama all the way!!

May 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. Tom

Hey, look at the picture on the Political homepage on this site, doesn't Hillary look like Christopher Walken in that picture?

May 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. Don from Canada

Its simple the answer is 'NO"

May 7, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. Fran

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS TOAST!

Please Hill........run for the hills!

May 7, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. Delegate Counter

If you think Hillary has a chance to win, do me a favor and use the delegate counter, now, set every contest including superdelegates to be 60-40 in Clinton's favor, tell me who gets over 2,022. I rest my case.

May 7, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  20. MM/FL

Many Thanks to the voters in Indiana and North Carolina, You proved how educated and far smarter than most of the voters in PA that bought into her phony solutions

May 7, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  21. Janis

The presidential democratic nominee came out in full view last night. So glad to see the right candidate win. Bill & Hillary, however, didn't look so good last night & it's been a long time coming. Congratulations Barack Obama!
    Obama '08

May 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. Stacy

We can argue over it but the fact is that Obama is winning.

May 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Audrey, San Francisco

Hey CNN – wake up & smell the coffee. All the other major news outlets can see that Sen Clinton is, and I quote, "TOAST".

May 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. D24

true comments will not be posted on here...what a crock

cnn biased and for only one candidate.

May 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. Johnny Be Good

I would like to express a heart felt apology to people who support HRC. I have said some very bad things about her and I am sorry. I just feel that Obama is a better choice the HRC. We need to get over our differences and support whoever our candiate is.

Also, I know several HRC supporters who go online and post as pro-Obama. My wife actually does it. I saw one of her posts and she was saying how dumb HRC supporters are. She stated to me that it ticks people off and then the vote for HRC over Obama because HRC people think we are mean and evil people.

So when I see an Obama supporter bashing HRC, I am suspect because we need everybody.

May 7, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |