May 7th, 2008

Analysis: As Obama nears finish line, can Clinton rebound?

After Tuesday night, Obama took a larger lead in pledged delegates as well as the overall popular vote.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Barack Obama took a major step Tuesday toward securing the Democratic presidential nomination. Not only did he score a convincing victory in North Carolina; but by drawing to a virtual tie in Indiana he made an already difficult path for Hillary Clinton to the presidential nomination significantly more challenging.

But Clinton vowed to soldier on, telling supporters at a rally in Indiana "it's full-speed on to the White House."

Obama wakes up this morning with a larger lead in pledged delegates as well as the overall popular vote. For Clinton, time for a rebound may be slipping away.

Full story

1. James

I reapeat. Why will it be ok when Obama pulls in nearly 100% of the largest black black votes in November? It may not be malicious, but someone make a legit argument why this is not race driven voting.

May 7, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. AceAce1

All the Clinton Supporters are saying Obama can't win with them but did anyone stop to think that she can't win without Obama supporters..I honestly believe she only won because of "Operation Chaos"I believe they said she had a 6 or 9 point lead 2 days ago and she just beat him by 2%. I like Hillary and I like Obama but I think it is really time for her to step down and back Obama before we all lose.

May 7, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Jodie

Lets get past the divisions and move on to make some changes that we could all benefit from.

May 7, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. walter omondi from nairobi

Im thousands of miles away from US but have been following every proceeding of the primaries.

obama, im praying for u so hard u secure the nomination. ua words inspire.

GO OBAMA.................

May 7, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  5. RON

hell no

May 7, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  6. Mike in PA

Thanks NC and Indiana, thanks for cleaning up the mess we made here in PA.

Obama '08!

May 7, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Delton

Hillary.....Really, It's Time To Go.

May 7, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Laura

As a disapointed democratic in the party, Obama will NEVER have my vote nor support. Obama does not care about anyone but HIMSELF!!!

GO McCAIN you have my vote at least with you we know what to expect but having someone so inexperienced like Obama scares me!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. Kentucky Girl

Without further a-due....Introducing...Hillary Clinton, the Huckabee of the Democratic race for the White House!

May 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  10. Spotlight

Obama needs less than 200 points to win the require 2025 points to win the nomination which the superdelegates will give him soon. That will save Clinton some trouble from loaning herself money :-D

Obama 2008!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. peter30

Yes she can

Go hillary

For me #1Hillary #2 McCain

May 7, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  12. fred

Benjamin from Columbus, Ohio, I bet it wasn't 91 to 92 %!!!

May 7, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. Ron

when he was a community worker in Chicago sen obama kept going after and blaming much of the problems on the goverment. being senator for illinois how will he answer sen Mccain when he asks him why he hasn't help those same people now that he is in a position to do so?

May 7, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  14. Jeff, Hampshire, IL

To "The honesty you dont want to hear":

You are a racist. Only a small minded hateful person would categorize an entire race of people like that. You're worthless and a shame to your country.

May 7, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  15. Not Black Anymore

I'm a huge Hillary supporter but I also agree the writing may be on the wall.

It's time for a Survivor deal – "drop out and I'll offer you the VP spot"!!

May 7, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  16. superdelegate

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BARACK

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lvc-azCXY&w=640&h=390]

May 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. CJM

Hillary can not swallow her pride and do the right thing. She knows that her chances of winning are slim. Her plan is to make history as the first woman President, how selfish. Nearly half of the people that support her have prejudices against African Americans. Why would they choose to vote for McCain? The few people that support Obama and claim they will vote for McCain if Clinton is the nominee are just as bitter and have their prejudices. People wake up! To all of the Obama supporters that claim they will support McCain if Clinton was to some how beat the odds, please reconsider this foolish thing that you are about to do. I feel I will be wasting my time to ask this of Clinton supporters that plan to do the same, they are too full of pride and ignorance to listen. It is not the end of the world if one or the other wins. I personally do not plan to vote anymore do to my belief that Christians can not force change through politics. Change comes through personal action out of love.

May 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. ITS NOT 3AM, PLS WAKE HILARY UP, THE GAME CHANGER IS OBAMA AND HE IS VETTED

NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST BARACK OBAMA WILL PROSPER.

THANK YOU HILLARYMCCAIN FOR HELPING US VET OBAMA... 2 MONTHS OF VETTING WHILE YOU WERE LET OFF THE BAIT??

YOU SHOULD BE SATISFIED NOW..SO PLEASE BOW OUT GRACEFULLY!

May 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. Kentucky Girl

CNN you are RIDICULOUS!!!! Show Obama some RESPECT!! for completely blowing her out last night. Give this black man some respect! I said black because its really CNN injecting race in this by not showing respect for a minority!!!!!

May 7, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. ds

"It's full speed ahead" reminded me of Bush declaring victory in the war.

If Clinton actually understook economics, she'd realize that there is eventually a point (long since past, in this case) when quitting makes the best sense. Wait, what am I saying? She DOES know economics–even better than nobel laureates, according to her recent stance.

May 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. joseph quaye

CLINTTON YOU ARE A FIGHTER AND WE LOVE AND APPLUASE YOU FOR THAT- OBAMA NEED YOU TO GRACEFFULY STEP DOWN AND SUPPORT HIM WITH YOUR FIGHTING SPIRIT .

CONGRATULATION TO YOU AND OUR NOMINEE PRESIDENT OBAMA

May 7, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Jeff

Are you all kidding me?????

There is an 18% African American population in the United States. If, and I repeat, if EVERY African American voted for Obama, that would give him 18% of the vote.

So clearly there are more than African Americans voting for Obama. This white guy from the Northeast did.

Democrats have received 90% of the black vote for many years. That wasn't a problem until the Queen was refused her throne.

May 7, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. Venus

This is sweet! Thank you North Carolina!

Indiana – thank you for not giving Hillary a BIG WIN in your state!

Ha,ha,aha,aaaaaaaaaaaa! Hillary is BROKE!

Go Obama!

May 7, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. Pamela (Oceanside, Ca)

Go Obama. Your a winner and you'll be the next president of the united states.

May 7, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  25. George James

"The foolish and the dead alone never change their openions"
    To accept a defeat you require some intelligence.And Hillary is lacking it.Optimism is good,but overoptimism very very bad.

May 7, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |