May 7th, 2008

Analysis: As Obama nears finish line, can Clinton rebound?

After Tuesday night, Obama took a larger lead in pledged delegates as well as the overall popular vote.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Barack Obama took a major step Tuesday toward securing the Democratic presidential nomination. Not only did he score a convincing victory in North Carolina; but by drawing to a virtual tie in Indiana he made an already difficult path for Hillary Clinton to the presidential nomination significantly more challenging.

But Clinton vowed to soldier on, telling supporters at a rally in Indiana "it's full-speed on to the White House."

Obama wakes up this morning with a larger lead in pledged delegates as well as the overall popular vote. For Clinton, time for a rebound may be slipping away.

Full story

1. Simply_Amazed

Does she honestly believe she can win? I think her campaign has been "mispeaking" to her. They can make the statistics say whatever they want...for example "Hillary, you are leading among the white men who gets their haircut on Tuesday afternoon when it is overcast and drink their coffee with the left hand." 50% of statistics lie anyway, right...Come on Hillary give it up for the good of the campaign....And to think I am not voting for either one.

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  2. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Hillary is just being STUPID now as she trudges on for no good reason. She cannot win the nomination... I think she'd be a perfect SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR under OBAMA....

SHUT HER UP and SEND HER PACKING.... ENOUGH OF HAGGY HILLARY

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  3. Chanda-Cincinnati Ohio

She stated last night that Florida and Michigan delegates need to count. NOW THEY NEED TO COUNT. I believe when all of the candidates agreed to the DNC's sanction of Florida and Michigan were wrong. SHE WAS ONE OF THOSE CANDIDATES! The rules were set and that was how they agreed to play the game. She arrogantly thought Michigan and Florida would not matter. She thought she would have this thing sown up after Super Tuesday. Now that she needs Michigan and Florida, she is "fighting for your rights". What a crock! Seat Florida as is, she still will be behind in the popular vote and the delegate count. Seating Michigan as is should not even be a thought on the mind of anyone with any common sense. Obama was not on the ballot. For that matter neither was Edwards, and at that time he was still a viable candidate. Michigan wanted a revote for JUST Michigan Democrats. So are we saying its okay to disenfranchise independents and republicans who wanted to vote for a democratic nominee, so long as democrats get to revote? How hypocritical is that!!!! But consider this people, she was the only real viable democrat on the Michigan ballot, and she still only got a little over 50% of the vote!!! I know that the Clintons's are always considered the come back kids, but its over. As of June 3rd, she will still be behind. For her to even consider taking this primary to the convention in August and having the superdelegates, not the people, give her the nomination tells me that Sen.Clinton is selfish, divisive, and could give a rat's behind about the people of this country. The people are speaking loud and clear, and she refuses to listen. Its all about the power of being POTUS. A superdelegate over through of these primary results would be the greatest disenfranchisement of voters in modern US history!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  4. lou

ok...everyone needs to start coming together now. Let's stop the silly talk about Obama losing the general and how clinton supporters will go to McCain...it does no good now.

McCain will leave our kids in Iraq in harms way for no good reason. Its time to band together for those kids and get them home.

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  5. LaToya

Hillary just go home...PLEASE

Your win at any costs is not resignating with the American public at least not the ones with the ablity to think rationally. If I were in your shoes:

1. Worth over $100M
    2. With incomed gurantteed for life with Bill Salaries and your libraries etc
    3. Only connected with OLD people, UNeducated people, and housewives, i would just quit.

Let's face it, these three groups of folk are beloved by our country but ARE NOT the people we look to for innovation and to help solve the issues facing us today.

This is why I BEG you to stop being selfish and just go HOME. Old people are not equipped to face the challenges you allowed this adminsitration to get us in beyond the war in Iraq, housewives especailly those that are educated are great women but let them stay with the kids and read stories while the other educated moms that work outside of the home and do EXACTLY what they do EVERYday solve challenges as we are so equipped at doing at twice the stress level because lets be honest....if I have to take care of the home and earn the bacon....I am just on another level than the average stay at home mom no matter how beloved they are and let's not talk about the uneducated....I persoanlly think you should have to take an exam to vote as the public on whole are well ignorant. I don't mean to be curel but I am a 31 Phd....less than 2% of the public have been willing to make th sacrafices i have and I am a mom of a 13 y/o (31 May)....
    Must i say anymore!

Let the uneducated drink beer and watch American Idol or Dancing with the Stars and allow myself, Obama, and the other brains of this country (however few still remain) do what we do best...sovle problems to allow you to have the time to drink your shots and plug in to the TV and out of the world. Don't start thinking now, you have not done your homework....

Once again I don't want to be cruel but how can it be that the Indianans, Ohioans...folks that have suffered the most by Clintons Nafta (BOTH CLINTONS) be so willingly to blindly support her...?

This is why you should shutup and color and why you Hillary should go home and have a coke a smile and STOP lobbying to the C-, D+ students of the world becuase you are not smart enough to hang with the smart kids....we tend to THINK and apply logic vice emotion. WHO CARES ABOUT REV WRIGHT? No more than i care your husband was engaged in sexual activity in the White House that my tax dollars maintain....You want to hold Obama accountable for a Rev but you hold no responsiblity in your poor decision making to include marrying a compuslive liar and cheat, your vote for the war; your coward appoarch to healthcare (which also reflects your inability to work within your own party; never mind across party lines); your death toll to inlcude JFK Jr...yeah I said it and yes I am one of those people that tend to follow the money and analyse who benefits when strange things happen in this country. The recent murder (sucide) of the DC Madame, did you and Bill do that one too?

Lady Go HOME....
    You are worth more than 99% of PEOPLE will ever see, what else do you want? totoal obliferation.

Sorry not a great speller!

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Tony S

Now let's see how Lanny Davis spins this. THE biggest Clinton sycophant going!! Sad thing is, he has been drinking from the Clinton well since their college days, and honestly, if there were a video of Hillary robbing a 7-11 at gunpoint, he would try to spin it as she was there protecting the owner from higher taxes or something. Lanny....stop sucking at her teat, it's over!!!

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  7. Kerri

According to CNN's delegate calculator, even if Clinton wins the remaining contests by 20 points, she still needs over 75% of the remaining unpledged delegates. Gee, think maybe it's time for her to BOW OUT? Too bad she'll keep ripping the party apart for her own selfish reasons despite not having a realistic shot to win.

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  8. crat3

The black racism in the North Carolina win cannot triumph over the nomination process. The Indiana win of a mere 9 counties by Obama out of more than 100 counties cannot triumph over the nomination process. Florida and Michigan must be counted; the remaining states must vote; and the superdelegates must use their independent judgment to select the best qualified candidate for the presidency and that is Hillary Clinton. The fight for the future of America continues.

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  9. Ed, FL

Yes, When pigs fly!!!!
    Obama 08!!

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  10. Marshall in Nebraska

This life long Republican is ready for a change and supporting Obama. Keep it going.

May 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  11. Cheryl

Nice rebound from what's been a rough few weeks. It's been a brutal, tough and sometimes unfair race, it was nice to see Senator Obama find his rhythm again last evening. No matter how it ends, I salute my candidate for his perseverance and his willingness to be candid, to admit whatever faults he has and to remain committed to the final goal. He's run a campaign he can be proud of and I really hope we can send the world a very positive message in November that America wants to return to the ideals, integrity and promise of days past.

I was also pretty happy to hear Senator Clinton last night reinforce her intention to rally this party together, no matter who the nominee is. If it should be Obama, I really hope her supporters will listen to what she has to say. Here's to hoping we can keep our eyes locked on the bigger objective without getting lost in the candidate war. If not, I suspect the message we send is we're still very willing to cut off our nose to spite our face.

May 7, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  12. Marc - Canada supports Obama

Until now Hillary was praised for being tenacious and determined. If she continues on the praise will turn to criticism for being stubborn and selfish and for not thinking of the party first.

Hillary's tirade about going after OPEC is dangerous. Just to prove her wrong OPEC are now talking $200 a barrel. Give it a rest Hillary. You are doing more harm than good.

May 7, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  13. manubi

I Don't think that will ever happen. She LOANED her own campaign for 6.4 million dollars??? There is a reason why she was outspent!

May 7, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  14. IF

She vowed to "soldier on" before she knew how tiny her margin was in Indiana. Still, I believe she would "soldier on" even if she lost both contests. She's hoping for some miracle, aka she'll find some real dirt on Obama or if she can't find if some mud will stick anyway.

Obama made a great speech. She just followed some of his leads. She spoke of the world's "we are all americans" after 9.11 and says she plans to make America likeable again. Well... if she measures likeable by herself, then she probably thinks her sentence about obliterating Iran is a major step forward.

My bet is she'll go all the away to the convention, and she'll have to be dragged away screaming and biting. She's wounding her party and she doesn't seem to care. Or maybe, deep down, she really has a soft heart... for the Republicans.

15. scott

She will not win and ether will Obama in the main. There is no way I could ever vote for a man that has based his whole election on race and the hate of his supporters descised as hope.
    the man has won other elections by default.
    he has continually lied and then switched his statement
    His supporters have continually threatened but yet its Hillary that is the neg.
    He is without a doubt raceist to benifit his needs.
    he is a typical politian
    He has all talk and no action,
    His wife I dont even know where to start.about her
    He will have us out of Irag but not out of war it will just be moved over the boarder.
    He will Loose in the long run and we will be stuck with McCain

16. LaToya

Fred, if only you had a brain...

:) :) :)

17. Suju

No.No.No.NC and IN(close call) proved that there are few takers for her blatant lies.She was surprised with the result ?! Am so glad she finally got what she deserved.
    But we all know shes a "fighter" – BS.She wants to continue competing so she can pressurize the DNC to make her atleast obamas running mate.Dont let that happen OBAMA !

Comon Billary, you can still try to totally not destroy the Dem party.People have spoken with thier votes – Dont you see the message?Leave the race NOW with any dignity left.

NO COUNTRY FOR LIARS AND OLD MEN !

O8AMA !

18. Todd

I like the "He won the majority of the black vote, big surprise" comment. You know what? Black voters don't make up the majority in NC either! Roughly, I believe, 1/3rd of the registered voters. You can't get those kind of margins on just 1/3rd of the voters. The arguement that he only wins in black voters is ignorant of the facts, and sounds somewhat racist to me.

Yes, I'm a white male, I'm college educated. To top that all off, I live in Florida. Obama has my vote. Heck, I've never voted before, none of the other elections had cantidates that made any sense to me. I find Obama refreshing.

I also have to wonder, did anyone else think the Clinton supporters on CNN last night sounded... desperate? Almost like they were in denial, whats with this "new number" crap? The DNC rules committe says the number is what it is, individual cantidates can't set their own benchmarks for electability. If it wasn't so sad, it'd be funny.

I also like Hillary's camp's arguements that the Super Delegates can override the popular vote, and should do so. For people who are so concerned about disenfranchising the Michigan/Florida vote, they certainly don't seem worried about disenfranchising everyone by having the super delegates go against the will of the people.

19. John B

To frame my comments, I voted for President Clinton in '96 (too young in '92) and was very happy with his presidency on a whole. I started this election season supporting Sen Clinton but now Sen Obama has won my support. IF Clinton wins the nomination, I will vote for her in the general election because I honestly believe that she will be a better president than John McCain.

Having said that, where in the HELL do the Clintons find these sycophantic supporters? Man, it seems like every Clinton supporter that gets an interview lives in a fantasy world where she couldn't possibly lose the nomination. They talk as if they honestly believe that there is NO CHANCE of Obama winning the nomination. Did anyone see Lanny Davis speak with the CNN election coverage people last night? This isn't a knock on Sen Clinton, actually it's admirable. I wish that I could inspire the level of blind loyalty that she and Pres Clinton can. But I'm not sure I want some of her supporters to have a seat at the table. They just don't seem to want to recognize that thing that most people call the real world.

20. LT for Obama

Stop trying to make this all about the African American vote. In Indiana, that are far more white voters and they came out for Obama.

She only eked out IN because of the Senior vote. I can guarantee you that come November he will win.

To answer the question of do I think he is qualified? Yes. I would not be supporting him if I did not think so.

21. Philadelphia, PA.

Not only can't she rebound but now she had to loan her campaign 6 million dollars. Poorly run campaign all around. Too many people just don't believe in her. Wonder why...................................I think i will donate another fifty to Barack.

22. Val, Pennsylvania

No. She cannot rebound.....and inside, she KNOWS this.
    She can, however, keep dividing the party she claims to love.
    What has become very clear is that this is NOT about the democrats winning the White House this year....it's about Hillary Clinton winning it.

It's an awful spectacle to watch. Her ego is out of control.
    She doesn't love this country, she loves herself.

23. Dillia

No matter what hatred the far right tries to bring into the race, by dividing us, by race, SHE will lose.There is going to be huge backlash because she didn't have to divide the party, just so she could still lose. Hillary is corrupt, a liar, cheater, racist ( her and Bill),can't face the facts. America is ready to move forward...Hillary, I hope you and Bill get found guilty on the fraud charges you're facing. YOU WILL CONTINUE TO LOSE. He is winning big states too..

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. lisa

i know that if clinton wins the nomination alot of people will vote for her over mccain. but if obama wins the nomination they will definitely be voting for mccain no matter their party affiliation!!

25. Mark

People always try to say that the Republican candidate is chosen by the rich and powerful in their party. I don't see any evidence of that this year. However, if Clinton wins this, it is purely because of the super deligates. Who are the super deligates if not the rich and powerful in the party? Do the Dems want to become the embodiment of what they mock the GOP for?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17