May 7th, 2008

Clinton makes case at DNC

Clinton speaks with reporters after exiting the Democratic National Committee headquarters.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton met with Democratic Party officials and undecided members of Congress Tuesday afternoon to make her case for the party's nomination and press for a resolution to seating the delegations of Florida and Michigan.

The meeting, which lasted approximately two hours, took place at the Democratic National Committee headquarters.

Clinton spoke briefly to cameras while departing the building, saying she had met with "members of Congress and others who have a role to play in this process."

She refused to say if she won any commitments from any undecided superdelegates.

It was not immediately clear with which members of Congress Clinton met.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kelly -las vegas

hillary...sit down. We do not need another clinton in the office anymore. I am so tired of her with her lying self. try telling the truth for a change. I was considering voting for her but I can't. I don't think she has what it takes to run this country. she has proved that she is a snake just the rest of them.

May 7, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. Sharon Minnesota

If the North Carolina voters were disenfranchized by penalizing them, what would the Obama people be saying then????

To be fair, I suggest that North Carolina and, let's see ahh, how about Minnesota, lets wipe their votes out too. That should even things out for both candidates.

How about it Clinton supporters, let's have your opinion on this.

COUNT FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN VOTES!!!

May 7, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  3. DON'T HAND OBAMA THE NOMINATION MAKE HIM WORK FOR IT

I am an 35 yr old African American woman and Hillary Clinton supporter. I am so sick of hearing that Obama is the candidate of "change". What is he changing? He gives sermons not solutions and everyone is so touched by it. All of my African American friends support him but I have never heard him say one thing about the Sean Bell verdict in NY, but then again he doesn't have to say anything about it he has already inherited that vote without even trying. At least I know where Hillary stands and everyone knows she has controversy, but no one really knows anything about Obama. He has presented himself as being against old politcs and politicians, and by doing this he can't afford any type of scandal. If Obama wins and the republicans expose new info about Obama then McCain will be our new president. It's hard to believe that such an intelligent man whose political career means so much can be clueless about the views of his church and minister of 20yrs. He gave this lame excuse that he didn't know his Rev views or opinions and his supporters ate it up. UNBELIEVABLE. Initially I was gonna vote for any democratic nominee, but after the last few weeks I have changed my mind. If Hillary isn't the nominee then I will vote for the 3rd party or not at all. I refuse to vote for the Chi-town slickster that can't get enough delegates to win and end the primary race once and for all. Hopefully the Superdelegates will be smart enough to realize that Hillary can beat McCain and that Obama is one scandal away from disaster.

HILLARY 08!

May 7, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  4. j. greene

I am an older white woman on a pension. I understand that this description qualifies to be one of those folks who typically votes for Mrs. Clinton. I am also a KY resident and registered Independent.

I am angry, though, about MI and FL. I don't understand why Mrs. Clinton thinks it is fair to take FL and MIN votes and put them on her plate when Mr. Obama followed the rules and didn't even include his name on the MI ballot.

It bothers me that Mrs. Clinton thinks delgate votes should be taken into consideration when MI delegates had no say.

The only way this can be truly fair is for there two states' residents to go back to the voting booths. The argument that wasn't their fault, that it was the fault of the politicians is ridiculous. The residents of these states voted for the politicians who decided to break the rules in the first place. That they can't afford to return to the booths is just too bad.

If Mrs. Clinton really wants fairness, she needs to bite the bullet and ask the two states she thinks belongs to her alone to bite the financial bullet and return to the booths to prove it to her and vote for her.

May 7, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  5. GA FOR HILLARY

HANG TOUGH, HILLARY! WE HERE IN GEORGIA SUPPORT YOU ALL THE WAY!

May 7, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  6. Deborah

Hillary just go home already.

Democrats do not want you Hillary.

You can save face if you just get out now.

May 7, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. STOP THE MADNESS

THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD HER THEN SHE HAS TO GO,GET OUT OF THIS RACE! WHY ARE THEY PLAYING AROUND WITH THIS, IT MAKES NO SENSE, NO SENSE AT ALL ULESS THEY TOO ARE FIGHTING AGAINST OBAMA AND IF SO WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??????

ALL I KNOW IS THIS OBAMA IS GETTING A RAW DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  8. Will, Florida

First of all let me say that being a Florida resident I am appalled at the notion that Hillary Clinton believes Florida votes should stand. I abstained from voting since my state violated Democratic making the vote not count. I am sure that others in my state took my outlook on our primary election as well. It is regretful that I opted not to exercise my supposed right to vote. Especially, now that there is so much discussion from the Clinton campaign to make Florida count without a revote. However, I am willing to concede the possibility Mrs. Clinton could win with a revote but not with mine. I do agree with everyone that believes the voters should decide which candidate is elected. Not some cartoon character “Super Delegate”. So here we are in another election debacle except this time we Floridian’s are not alone. Maybe it’s time our government managed federal elections instead of the states. Oh, never mind they would just mess things up worse than they already are.

May 7, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. Voter

A lot of democrats are trying to prop up an African American because he is a newbie. This will be the first time to vote Republican for me. I will not be writing in my vote and I hope there will be others who do the same. I was voting for Hillary's brains. Not for an African American or a Woman but for someone who I believed would lead our country to a position of strength. I still believe she would have helped us get out of this mess that we are in - another newbie (as opposed to the experienced Gore) got us in here. Now the democrats are propping up someone who is even more inexperienced. A real nightmare! No Hillary means – A vote for the Republicans. I hope the democrats lose in the Fall for failing to recognize the needs of our country.

May 7, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. Erin

Continuation … In sports and other arenas, a win is a win even if you win by one point.

Senator Obama is supposedly bringing the country together. However, his candidacy is having the opposite effect. I am African American. But, I have a problem seeing 92% of African Americans vote for an African American President. I am of the opinion that these people are not looking beyond the color of his race. This is certainly not what Dr. Martin Luther King stood for or represented. People really need to get a clue.

What happened to voting for someone based on their platform, ideals, and values, etc.? Senator Clinton should continue her campaign for as long as she wants to. Furthermore, why can’t the super delegates determine the best candidate to run against Senator McCain?

May 7, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  11. Xango

a true leader knows when it is time to step down and when is time to go on. Mrs. clinton continues to create such chaos, division, and at the expense of the Democratic party. A true leader puts their country first, no matter what, and their personal egos aside, this is why she can not win this nomination. Her ego is so huge that she forgot the people dedice.
    everywhere you read, everyone you talk tells you and every single poll including cnn poll today (67% ) say she needs to drop out. Obviously she will not because she does not listen to anyone, hopefully teh DNC can tell her for good, enough is enough..............

with all due respect, please step down, just be courageus enough and take a deep breath.............

May 7, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  12. Brandi S.

Hang in there Hillary! America NEEDS you! Obama will NEVER be president of our country. YOU are our only chance!

May 7, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  13. Geraldine Ciesielski

As one of Hillary's supporters along with many friends and family, we will not vote for Obama. His lies with Rezko and Wright are turning us off. You people voted for Bush twice and what did you get.

May 7, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  14. Yankee Dog

She's toast. Time to move on Democrats and rally behind a person that can finally bring real change....

Go Obama!

May 7, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  15. Liberal Loons

This is hilarious! What a party!

Tweedle-Dumb and Tweedle-Dumber fighting it out for the honor of becoming the lamb led to a national election slaughter!

The Dems are so pathetic they can't even pin anything on McCain other than some lame slogan "McCain = Third Bush Term."

On the Dems side, one candidate was indoctrinated by a bigoted preacher and is married to a woman who makes Teresa Heinz-Kerry look like Laura Bush. The other candidate is a serial liar who lhas no idea what she is doing.

Two candidates with liberal anti-trade, anti-business, anti-anti terror, with a pro-tax (only for the "rich" of course) and weak on defense mindset.

This is a 40 state win for McCain.

May 7, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  16. New Yorker

Hillary needs our donations to repay her SIX million dollar Loan. We are suppose to donate (GIVE) to her campaign, but she only LENDS to her campaign.
    Do you really expect her to throw in the towel before she gets her money out??? Suckers.

May 7, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  17. Madrugada Jones

I don't understand these Hillary supporters who won't support Obama in November. Lookit: John McCain can't wait to go to war with Iran and he doesn't care if we're in Iraq for 100 more years. Americans must unite behind Obama.

Cartoons here: http://spinachflame.wordpress.com/

May 7, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  18. Jason, Texas

Florida and Michigan need to blame their own democratic leaders and quit whining. They broke the rules and frankly they need to live with it. If the DNC folds, it will show that they have no backbone and no authority.

Stop whining Hilary... go away... stop dividing the party and MOVE ON!

All you superdelegates, you had better follow the will of the people. Those of you who don't, I hope you get ousted in your next elections.

May 7, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  19. Write-in Hillary on ballot?

I don't know if this will be possible, or if the presidential election ballots will allow this, but as for me, if possible, and if Obama is the nominee, I will WRITE IN Hillary Clinton's name. Everyone who supports Hillary, please consider this.

May 7, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  20. Charles

Florida has a legitimate complaint as it was a Republican legislature and a Republican Governor voted to move the primary. Something needs to be worked out for them. Michigan, however, knew the consequences of their actions.

As for not voting for the candidate that gets the nomination, do people really want Bush II to choose the next one or two Supreme Court Justices....Roe v Wade is a critical decision that governs at least half of the country. Or the recent decision by the Supreme Court that denies the right to vote to a group of nuns (real law breakers there).....I won't even begin to talk about Bush II's health care plan for the insurance companies.....

It does no good to pout and say I am taking my ball and going home....the person who leaves gets punished just as much as those who don't.....

May 7, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  21. Francisco Anguiano

How do we agree to disagree with Hillary supporters?

Would you rather a closure proof or a veto over ride proof, democratic majority?

May 7, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  22. JOE

There a lingering belief that Clinton has to be in the ballot and despite everything that Obama has done to prove he is capable of winning in fall election the process looks like it tailor made to only accept Clinton.This is the height of all hypocrisy and such should be shunned because democrats would be shooting themselves on the leg by nominating Clinton through the back door.

May 7, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  23. PCS / North Carolina

HOmi wrote May 7th, 2008 7:02 pm ET

"Hillary has won all of the big states (electorally-speaking), except Obama's home state of Illinois. Counting electoral votes on the states both have won thus far, Clinton would have 295 electoral votes, to Obama's 213 electoral votes."

You must be kidding. Hillary's followers are paranoid and delusional. Electoral votes will be counted in November, now it is the delegate vote. Learn to FOLLOW THE RULES. Whether you win or loose, learn to accept anything graciously. Judgment and ability to follow the law is the most important quality of a president. The way Hillary is playing this election, if elected she will be worse than GDB.

May 7, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  24. ColoradoWoman4Obama

Staying in the race despite the fact that it is mathematically impossible for Clinton to overcome Senator Obama’s lead in delegates, states won, or popular vote – while she claims that the voters of Florida and Michigan are being disenfranchised? What would Senator Clinton say if the Superdelegates were to overturn the decision of ALL the votes cast during this Democratic Primary? While it’s entirely within their rights to do so, I fully believe that the Democratic Party would suffer permanent damage because that would be the epitome of all ‘disenfranchisements.’

May 7, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  25. Becky

Hilllary my advice to you is to go let by gones be by gones. You are trying to handle something that may not give you an over the edge. I know some want Hillary to continue so why don't you all that love her finance her campaign.

May 7, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |