May 7th, 2008

Clinton makes case at DNC

Clinton speaks with reporters after exiting the Democratic National Committee headquarters.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton met with Democratic Party officials and undecided members of Congress Tuesday afternoon to make her case for the party's nomination and press for a resolution to seating the delegations of Florida and Michigan.

The meeting, which lasted approximately two hours, took place at the Democratic National Committee headquarters.

Clinton spoke briefly to cameras while departing the building, saying she had met with "members of Congress and others who have a role to play in this process."

She refused to say if she won any commitments from any undecided superdelegates.

It was not immediately clear with which members of Congress Clinton met.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. jimmy vekmen

I AGREE VERY MUCH SO WITH NOBUBBAGUMP. LOL

May 7, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. Sam

common sense: hillary can not win the nomination

respect to her and bill for there services to your country.

people are coming up with excuses to not vote for Obama.

1. Pastor – Obama is NOT rev. wright and OBVIOUSLY does not share the same views.

2. Obama has done a lot for workers.. why do u think he has the support?

3. Clearly not an elitist compared to Mccain and Clinton.

4. Sticks to his PRINCIPLES and to MORAL VALUES.

5. RULES ARE RULES – they both agreed FL and MI would NOT count. you dont change the rules in the middle of a football game do u? AND Howard Dean DNC chair has said that u have to respect the other states that followed the rules.

You guys need to remember that.

I also think that a lot of people are coming up with excuses not to vote for Obama? why?

Not long ago ppl would say they really dont have much differences in policies.

SO WHY WOULD CLINTON SUPPORTERS VOTE mccain???? that is BEYOND ANY COMMON SENSE OR GOOD JUDGEMENT.. I would go as far as saying it is an immature and ridiculous protest, only because the person u wanted didnt get it...

If the Democratic Party unites... u guys will win in novemver, doesnt matter if its Obama or Clinton. simple as.

I'm not American... but I have been, and i respect. but I'm beginning to question why it is called the "United" states of America at all..

Americans UNITE, the world doesn't need a 3rd Bush term and for ur OWN sake, for ur own INTERNATIONAL reputation... the world wants to see u guys do well... rally behind nominee and support him all the way. Stop debating over petty differences and UNITE

May 7, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  3. Kathy

Hillary is my choice for President. I can not absolutely vote for McCain. The only way I would be comfortable voting for Obama would be if she was the vice President. But, I am still hopeful for her to be the top of the ticket.

May 7, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. Called Upon

Yesterday I received a call from Obama's campaign asking for money. What was notable about the call was the disrespectful and disdainful way the Obama worker spoke of Clinton and the whole primary process. The call was so negative that I was completely turned off. Obama's campaign seems to think that letting people vote is a bother and they have no respect for Sen. Clinton (a current 2 term Senator, former first lady, and the first viable woman presidential candidiate).
    That phone call summed up so many problems with Obama's approach to the Democratic Party and Presidency.
    I will not support Obama.
    I will write in Hillary in November if I have to.

May 7, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  5. MB 37

Hillary claims that she will unite the party but pitches to the superdelegates that her supporters may never back Obama. She wants it both ways. Why don't they just seat the Florida delegates based on the voting and split the Michigan delegates since Obama wasn't on the ballot. He still wins regardless. Give up Hillary!!

May 7, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  6. Nowhere Man

If, and when, Obama does finally win this, the Hillary defeat will go down as the biggest CHOKE by any politician .... EVER! Going into this election she had everything : Name recognition, wife of a popular ex-president, two term Senator, cash flowing into her coffers on a daily basis, "Ready Day One" with her 35,000 years of experience, the "Inevitable Candidate", No Worries, just bring on the Rep challenger!

They will be writing books for years about one of the worst campaigns ever run. The second-guessing, the backroom hysterics, the gnashing of teeth, the finger-pointing will go on for a very, very, very long time .....

Obama '08!

May 7, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  7. nikki

Joyce from FL. I have one question. Did you know that in order for a re-vote to take, or a ballot my mail to take it had to be voted on by the Legistlature in both FL and MI? Do you know what the legistlature in both states did. They choose to go home rather than take a vote one way or another. Neither state had the decency to make a choice one or another. Instead they choose to act like nothing was wrong and go home. Now I want to know the same thing other bloggers have asked: how in the world is Obama, or Clinton for that matter responsible for the actions of Republican controlled state legistlatures? They aren't. Neither Clinton or Obama could have forced the legistlature in either state to make a choice. The legistlature in both states knew full well what was on the line, and they choose to sit back and do nothing. These are Republicans. And then you call yourself a democrat and have the nerve to say if Hillary doesn't get the nomination you will vote for McCain who is a Republican. Even though his party has already disenfranchised the voters in both MI and FL. Wake up people!! If you can honestly afford another 4 years of Bush-McCain then by all means cut off your nose to spite your face, but if you are like most Americans who are losing jobs, paying high gas prices, and have loved ones on their 3rd and 4th tour of duty in Iraq then the choice is simple. Vote democrat come this Fall or continue the downward spiral America is on.

May 7, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  8. Leapfrog

The issue in Florida and Michigan was a DNC issue. The democratic party members in both states had ample warning what the consequences would be should they move their primaries forward. Clinton was OK with that decision before Super Tuesday (because she expected to walk away with the nomination). The DNC has authority over this issue. It is a Democratic party issue, not a constitutional issue. Clinton has become delusional if she thinks that Dean will back down on this issue…especially since the majority of democrats back him up on this. Anyone in Florida and Michigan knew about this before the election day, and there were no legal challenges then. It is highly improper to follow the rules until you don't like the results and then try to change the rules after the fact so they satisfy you…

It is now impossible for Clinton to win the majority of the popular vote (her back up plan), and the odds are even higher for her to get the required 2,025 delegate count. Even with Florida and Michigan in her corner, she'd have to win every remaining primary with 75% of the vote or higher to win.

It's time for her to concede defeat.

May 7, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  9. emzee

Florida and Michigan broke the rules, even though the DNC forwarned them of the consequences – rewarding them for breaking the rules (48 states did abide by the rules) by counting their votes – what do you think would happen next time during elections? CHAOS as every state will set thier primaries as they deem fit – ignoring the DNC; folks – is this what we democrats want???

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  10. LT for Obama

So many are blaming Barack Obama for blocking the vote in Michigan. I just did some research into that and I found a very interesting quote:

"State Rep. Matt Gillard, D-Alpena, said the do-over primary will create as many problems as it solves, including barring participation by Democrats who, because they thought their party's Jan. 15 primary was a farce, voted for a Republican.
    "This won't work," Gillard said. "People were told the Jan. 15 primary didn't matter. Now they're being told if they voted in it, they can't vote in one that does matter."

So even if there was a revote, according to Gillard, those who voted for a republican because they could not vote for a democrat will not be able to revote. How do you fix this?

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Pete from BC Canada

Jane Davis wrote:
    "I think if Hillary cannot use Michigan and Florida's delegate count, then I think that amount should be subtracted from Obama's total delegate count. That would put them on level playing ground."

TALK ABOUT INSANITY. CLINTON SUPPORTERS ARE NOT THE BRIGHTEST BULBS ON THE STRING. REMOVE DELEGATES FROM BARACK'S TOTAL THAT HE DID NOT RECEIVE? SEND THIS MESSAGE TO HILLARY. THIS COULD BE HER NEXT STRATEGY TO STEAL WHAT SHE COULD NOT WIN.

DESPARATION IS OOZING OUT OF EVERY POST FROM CLINTON SUPPORTERS. THERE IS ONLY ONE PERSON LEFT IN THE DEM CAMPAIGN.

May 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. Roxy

Hillary is THE ONLY choice that makes sense and the Super delegates need to see it. Florida & Michigan delegates need to be seated if the Dems don't want those 2 states to go to Mccain in November!
    The super delegates must do their job and go with Hillary, riots or not. The future of our beloved country is down the line.

Hillary 08

May 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  13. Carol

What is the big deal, I did not hear you NEW PEOPLE down play Huckabee when he stayed till the end. YOU HAD IT IN FOR HILLARY
    from the start. Will see what kind of TUNE you sing when Obama don't
    get in the White House. He said he a Christian. I grew up in church. In my 54 years in church NOT ONCE have I ever heard my pastor my mother say anything like what Rev Wright did about our country. A real Christian would not set in church for 20 years & listen to that. That is why we have a division, in this country. People like Rev Wright.

May 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  14. Richard, FL

More than half of Hillary's supporters believe she wasn't honest or trustworthy when she has made statements like ""I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January. I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do.". They do not trust her judgement and will not listen to her and will not vote for Obama. Not much of an endorsement by her own people, is it?

May 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. anne in wisconsin

Listen, I am a Democratic Woman who fully supports Hillary (and I'm only 44!). Once Obama HAS the nomination in hand, ALL of the votes he needs, I will support him. But he is not there yet. Obama is not so rude and disrespectful to completely write off Hillary Clinton, the first serious female candidate for president but MANY of his supporters are. They are shameful on these posts. This behavior of his supporters, more than ANYTHING Mr. Obama has done, strengthens my fear that Obama is all fluff & style and that his "followers" are not serious people. Stop it!!! You are not being the "change that you seek" to quote your leader! Democrats cannot afford to disenfranchise the fervent Hillary supporters OR the Obama supporters.

May 7, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  16. NickNas

This is not healthy. No good for anyone anywhere. Hillary doesn't care.

May 7, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  17. Krys

For all of those who never told a lie, step forward and run for President.

May 7, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  18. Diane

Tamara, Apparently you didn't see on the numerous articles and news reports that Obama wasn't even on the ballot on MI, since you being an intelligent individual or I'm sure you wouldn't have said that that race was stolen from her. I'm sure you would also realize that rules are put in place for a reason and not changed because of some person having a temper tantrum to get their way.

May 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  19. Betty

OK let's look at this real close. Clinton was for the DNC not counting the FL and MI votes. Now that she is losing she is whinning and complaning as she has accused Obama. I say if the heat is too hot get out of the kitchen. I have heard her say more than three times she will do whatever it takes to win. Now that it seems that might not happen, now she wants to change the rules (again) and make a case for something that should not even be discussed. Florida and Michigan did what they did now live with it! Stop complaining get over it, lets us bring the party back together so we can look at the real issues of our country and possible stop the bleeding of the American people paying for Bush's retirement throught excessive oil profits!

May 7, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  20. tom

Chris May 7th, 2008 5:58 pm ET

When you agreed to not include MI and FL prior to any primaries, did you include their delegates? No, you wrote them off like every other candidate.

The number is 2,025 until the Rules committee and the candidates meet on May 31 to decide what to do with MI and FL.

You have only made this an issue for months now because your campaign was not ready on Day 1 for a serious competition for the nomination.

thanks chris

May 7, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  21. Anita

Some of you people are incredibily uninformed. My family lives in Florida. Did you know that Obama's name WAS NOT ON THE BALLOT in either state. My mom voted for Hillary in Florida because Obama's name was not an option. Also, he DID NOT veto the opportunity to count those states' votes. STOP IT! Please study the facts before posting ridiculous comments. Hillary, I voted for you, but it's time to go!

May 7, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  22. mitchell from arkansaw

if she had gotten any commitments she would have said so.

May 7, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  23. Jodie, Idaho

This is ridiculous. First of all, I regret the way the DNC handled the Michigan and Florida issue, but they should of thought of that before they made the rules. YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE RULES TO SUIT YOU. Think about what would happen if you changed the rules of any sport in the middle of the game. You just can not do it. It is the leadership of Florida and Michigan's fault and the DNC. Secondly, who is the DNC? These people who followed the rules have voted and have decided they want Obama. They should be counted. Hillary can continue if she wants, but they can not change the outcome just because Bill was once president and Hillary thinks she owns the DNC. Hillary, the people have spoke loud and clear and they do not want you as their president! Plain and simple. If it was Obama, I would be saying the same thing.

May 7, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama

TWO HOURS OF HILLARY. DID SHE RUIN YOUR LUNCH OR YOU
    JUST COULD'NT EAT AFTER SHE LEFT. BAD STOMACH ACHE?

I BET THE DNC CAN'T STAND UP TO POUNCER!!!!

May 7, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  25. Alice in Fort Myers, FL

Leapfrog – the issue in Florida and Michigan was ORIGINALLY a DNC issue. Wealthy Clinton backers offered to pay for a revote in Florida, but Barack hired lawyers to block it because he is a crooked Chicago-type politician and was afraid of the outcome.

Barack stole my vote for Hillary. Hope he rejoices over that fact when this life-long Democrat votes for McCain in November.

I will NEVER forget that the "great Uniter" stole my vote for Hillary. He won't steal it from McCain. The fact that he stole my vote is Issue #1 for me.

If all his rhetoric about "change" is changing the fact that we're ALL entitled to vote, then I'm afraid he's change for the worse, not change for the better.

May 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |