May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Carl Douglas

Senator Clinton is a strong person, she is not a quitter like most male politicians. I admire her fortitude. He can not win until he has 2025 delegate. The last tome I checked he was 189 short. So if you want her out, the light hearted superdelegate politicians will have to finally take a stand on something.

That is what is wrong with our country. The people Barack says need to change are the Washington insiders, but he has to pander to them to get his nomination to run, so do you really believe that his change policy is real?

Those people do not have to change because he needs them to survive now and in the future. this pandering is much wose than the gas tax. This is the fairy tale that Bill spoke of. i am a black man so i think I can say it without being accused of playing the race card!

May 8, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  2. madeleine

Here's the dirty little secret the democrats don't want to discuss.
    If Obama becomes the nominee – blue collar dems will vote McCain.
    If Hillary becomes the nominee African Americans will be upset, but will
    come out and vote for Hillary in November. Bottom line – the super delegates know this and that's the only reason they have not all come out
    in favor of Obama. The powers that be WANT Hillary to find a way to become the nominee or kiss the White House goodbye.

May 8, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  3. Monica A.

If Obama is the nominee I get to save 65,000 $. The DNC, the DCCC will not get a dime of my money this time around.. I will not pick up pen in hand for the left wing of the Democratic party. Obama supporters have been making personal attacks on Clinton from the inception of this campaign as well as some very sexist comments. I like the idea of writing Hillary's name in if Obama wins the nomination. Maybe the DNC will wake up and pay attention to the moderates in the party. It would be a great way to protest the level of sexism and have our voices heard. As for the 65K I am saving I think women should pool some of our resources and fight back, its about time.

May 8, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  4. Jesus

If Obama does not choose Hillary as his VP, I will vote for McCain, and I don't like him. But you don't just get the hardest job in the world by applying with no credentials, inexperience is not the change I want in Washington.

May 8, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  5. vote4thebest

The media constantly rewrite their 'bar' for Clinton. The media and Obama's supporters were bullying her before Pennsylvania to drop out. How they said, not only she had to win, but to win big. Then even when she won by 9-10 points, they would focus on the fact that she started out at 20points. Why not applying the same bar to Obama? Why not beating him to death the same way they did with Clinton about how he was supposed to win Indiana but lost. What would be the headline if Obama won Pennsylvania by 2%? Media and pundits have lost not only their credibility but their ethics as well.

The deep anger from Clinton's voters only get deeper with this kind of unfair treatment that they see from the party leaders and the media.

May 8, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  6. Drew

GO RUSH GO RUSH GO RUSH!

McCain please be ready to take out the demi-god.

May 8, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  7. mary

Let's be fair – Please present the news that helps us to decide what person is best prepared for the job of President. I think the news needs to scrutinize and tell us about Michelle Obama as I feel she is somewhat arrogant and I do not feel that she would make a good first lady as she appears to be very polarizing. The news media seems to be more favorable toward Obama – come on, lets be fair to the voters – we want this to play out till the last state has a chance to voice the choice for this important leader position.

May 8, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  8. White collar worker

When the Republicans are voting for Obama then you know that Hillary is the right person. I feel Hillary would smoke Mc Cain in this election. Would all Demacrats think of it that way. I am a white collar worker and Obama does not have any interest in helping me. Just because someone seems cool doesn't mean he know how to run the country. Hillary has been there and if I can remember right we were in our best financial position as a country until He took over and wanted to be "king of war". Time for a change woman or not she is the best person for the job.

May 8, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  9. katie, NM

IN voter–
    How do you say,'One of the things that I've really appreciated about Barack Obama's campaign has been his refusal to play the "race card" in his effort to gain supporters.'

How come 91% black votes for Obama ?

Look at the actual number of votes:

In NC Obama gets around 549,000 black votes and his total vote is around 870,000. More than 63% of the total vote is from AFRICAN AMERICAN. However, only 30% (not 63%) of population is Black in NC.

Who is voting for him? You must be dumbed by his SPEECH like many others.

May 8, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  10. ad

HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT 2008!!!

Don't quit girl. Nobody ever likes a strong woman and it's blatantly obvious by now that Barack has only won so many states because blacks have voted for him. Have they looked at the issues or just skin color?

He doesn't have the female or blue collar votes needed to win and believe me, if African Americans think they're the only ones that can withhold their votes in November, think again. Two can play at that game just fine.

May 8, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  11. Stephen

I am so proud of you Hillary for running your campaign on your own and using your own rhetoric. We need more senators like you and not like the puppet masters who call themselves Kerry, Dean and Kennedy. It is funny how these people could not get elected to the Presidency. Now they are using Obama as a puppet. He cannot lead on his own. He will be like Bush. You were a strong contender! I appreciate that. Unfortunately, no matter what Obama says or does to romance/shmooze Clinton supporters , I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HIM. OBAMA has left a bad taste in my mouth just like Bush did. MCCain is the American Way compared to Obama. So I will vote American this time around. MCCAIN '08

May 8, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  12. MD

Keep pandering Hillary. That is the ONLY thing you are good at.

May 8, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  13. LPL

Yes....Ron from earlier...
    I like the idea of an OBAMA / EDWARDS 2008. It would be an excellent ticket. I consider it a LANDSLIDE!! Both young, vibrant, excellent fresh ideas and on the same page about what the future of America should be like!!

May 8, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  14. nancy

Until a candidate reaches the magic number of 2025, the nomination remains open for the candidates to pursue the remaining primaries. Let the other states have a say in the polls as to who the nominee will be. Why do political analysts get in the way?. Let both Barack and Hillary persuade the remaining voters. I personally like the exposure of both the candidates in the media under these stressful times. Go Hillary. Your tenacity will win in the end.

May 8, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  15. Alex

I'm not american but if I were to vote, I vote Hillary.

May 8, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  16. Michael from Notre Dame

To all the people saying they are going to vote via write-in for Hillary in November: ARE YOU INSANE? Why don't you just hand McCain the presidency right now. You people are nuts.

May 8, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  17. Rave

I dont know if the polls are accurate, but some or many of Hillary's voters recently said that they would vote for McCain if Obama is the democratic nominee.
    That confirms John Kerry's statement to be true.. these Hillary voters are actually Rush Limpbaugh's (Fat Chow on Drugs) followers. So we take out these operation chaos fake voters , basically Hillary must have got about 25% of the real popular vote or less in both states.
    No matter what the polls say or want to show, if Hillary becomes the nominee...most (atleast 75%) of Obama supporters will not vote for her or McCain....even if Obama himself comes out and supports Hillary.
    Hillary will be a good candidate for Republican Vice President.. since most of her voters are from Operation Chaos led by Mr. Rush Limp. I cant believe this fat junkie (wanna be god) is hosting a radio show.

May 8, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  18. Brad IL.

I will not vote for Barack Obama . He is not the right person to have at this time and the Democrats better wake up. I will change over to the Republican Party for the General Election. My family will also. Hillary keep on fighting , you still have alot of supporters who don't want you to drop out. If you do thanks for the strong fight you gave us. Hopefully you will run again in 2012 against John McCain . He should be done running the country by then. We will really need you then more then ever. Good luck on what ever road you decide to take. Tell Bill & Chelsea hello from this family in IL.

May 8, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  19. J El Educado

I love women as obviously I was given birth by the best there is, but it is sad that the abundant majority of the posters that support Clinton's refusal to concede are women. It is a bit too obvious that people are ignoring the issues and on one side voting because of race and on the other side because of gender. This is your government people. This is your future and your children's future. How can you be so shallow?

Educated hispanic for Obama the uniter.

May 8, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  20. alex

hillarty, i'm on your side all the way! fight untill the end, then i will vote for the winner. i will be happy to vote for obama in nov.

May 8, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  21. Norm

Another great example of Clinton double-standard.
    Before the primary seasons, when FL and MI were warned repeatedly about the consequences of pushing their state primaries earlier, HELLary full heartedly supported the DNC decisions. Then, after the Super Tuesday that severely hurt HELLary's compaign, she started arguing that FL and MI votes should be allowed.
    I want to ask the citizens of this great nation if they want a candidate that can't keep her promise, a candidate that desperately tries to divide the country because she's trying to revenge her losses, a candidate that wants to play the gender card just for her meaningless lusts, a candidate that would put her own interests ahead of the nation's values and interest? If those are the qualities you are looking for in a president then HELLAry is your candidate...a symbole of stupidity and sickness....

May 8, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  22. DeeJam

Hillary has lost respect from many people who see her as desperately clinging to this campaign. I understand that she should continue until the last primary in June but she should not be negative any longer. So far, I haven't seen any negativity coming from her and I believe that is a sign that she is considering dropping out soon. When she does this, she will put her full support behind Obama and his campaign and I hope her supporters understand that this is mostly politics and our country will be much better with either Obama or Hillary (not Mcain).

May 8, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  23. Mike

Reading people won't vote for Obama. After eight years of Bush could we really afford four years of McCain(same as Bush). Could people really be that small minded and not vote For Obama base on his skin color? People please open your eyes do not vote for McCain this country could not take four more years of Bush. I will be voting for our next President of these United States of America BARACK OBAMA

May 8, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |