May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Peter

You go, girl!

May 7, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. Marie in California

I hope Hillary doesn't throw in the towel. She's got to keep fighting. She got my vote and some of my money.

I'm not a "party animal" so I don't give a hoot about the Democratic party itself. I support candidates instead. Hillary is my first choice. McCain is my second choice. Obama isn't even on the list.

May 7, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  3. Ron

Please go away New York must be in shambles with you gone for so long. Time to get back to work.

Go Obama / Edwards 08

May 7, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  4. Bill, Florida

It is very much a civil rights issue. If I don't have a say in the democratic primary, I won't exercise my right to vote in the crucial general election, even if Hillary is the nominee. And no, I'm not just another statistic that will come around to vote in November. If the DNC refuses to seat the delegates from Michigan and Florida, I would feel very turned off from the party, and that feeling will not go away.

May 7, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. Liz in SD

Hillary, do all women a favor and stop acting totally irrational. It's over, end this gracefully. Do you really think your talk of Senator Obama's electability is helpful in the general? You know you're hurting your party. We won't forget.

May 7, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Steve, NJ

One would hope....one would hope....

May 7, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  7. lol

dnc if you disenfranchise florida, and MI., the republicans will be happy to take the votes. In FL hillary won big, mccains and hillary's voting record are similar. they will not vote democratic if their votes are not counted.

May 7, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. s.positive

The delusion in this camp cannot be overemphaized...

May 7, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Dylan John

Gee... it's just so easy for Hillary to play the gender card over and over again and get away with it every time. Just IMAGINE Obama saying...

“Do you know how difficult it is for (black people) to stand up and say we are the best at anything? The Democratic Party has to know that (black people) are the core, (black people) have to be at the table and (black people) are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

He would be called a "racist" and that would be the end of his campaign. I'm proud of him for not resorting to Clintonesque pandering and card-playing and continuing to choose the high road.

Obama 08

May 7, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. chris

Why didn't she care so much about Florida and Michigan earlier if it is such a civil rights issue?

May 7, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. Charlotte

Women have had to be twice as smart and 10 times more determined to overcome bias. Go Hillary

May 7, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. Steven

Hmm, the start of jockeying for a VP spot on the ticket I think, and carrying on the slash and burn tactics, she's basically saying between the lines if Obama doesn't accept (which he shouldn't) he's disenfranchising women voters which will obviously cost him votes and makes a mockery of the preceding "I will do anything to help the nominee" part.

Sure you will, but only if you're also on the ticket, otherwise you'll take them down with you! I think she would literally say or do anthing for a chance at any power.

May 7, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. Sarah Smith

There will be NO UNITY YOU BALD FACED

PATHOLOGICAL LIAR!!

YOU (HILLY) are a scallywag! a wretch! scum! voyeurer!

Let's revisit what your husband DID because you ??? !!! aren't

'traditional' pls TELL your consitutents..

YOU are more in favor of the MORMON POLYGAMY Modus than we realize!!!

Bill can pursue to his heart's content while YOU OBSESS on running for prez!

Ha Ha ! You represent PERVERSION..... !!!

YOU DO NOT REPRESENT MY VALUES!!!

May 7, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  14. Marlye

OBAMA FARAGON 08

May 7, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  15. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

Question: If Obama did a speech like this to an ALL BLACK crowd, would he be racist?

May 7, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  16. Tom

This woman will stop at nothing to sabotage this election. She is only succeeding in alienating women from the only party in which they can find a decent voice and an acceptable agenda for equality.
    Just drop out Hillary and begin to support the actual, voted upon and delegate leading Democratic candidate. Stop your ego trip now.

May 7, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Independent99999

Fact is she never was in the lead since Iowa!
    She never performed as expected.
    A person with a name like Obama beating a name like Clinton – that tells the World something right?. The victory of Obama is no ordinary thing. It is a story of rising star / iconic in stature and a story that does not repeat in a 100 years.
    All of us living are fortunate to see this unfold in front of our eyes. It is one for the history books – a name like Obama beating a name like Clinton in one year!

May 7, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  18. Brad

Funny how in October she had no problem with the status of Micigan and Florida.

"We believe that Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina play a unique and special role in the nominating process and we believe the DNC's rules and its calendar provide the necessary structure to respect and honor that role. Thus we will be signing the pledge to adhere to the DNC's approved nominating calendar"
    Quoted from a release by Clinton and her campaign.

Further she stated in regards to Michigan:
    "I personally did not think it made a differance whether my name was on the ballot. You know its clear this election they're having is not going to count for anything"

Not until she fell behind in the delegates did she start touting MI and FL as being crucial.

May 7, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. SERIOUSLY

Where was the calm after she beat Obama in the last contest? This should highlight a key difference in the way these two have been managing their campaigns(which is a great indicator of how they would manage their duties as President). Obama is not afraid to let voters think for a minute, while Clinton wants to shove her opinions and false information down the throat of every person she can reach. And she realizes she can reach a lot more people if she gives herself a boost in the form of a $6.4 Million personal loan.

Funny. Play the scenarios out from the last few months.

Clinton loses a contest when there's still some time left – ATTACK THE HELL OUT OF OBAMA
    Clinton wins a contest towards the end of the fight – ATTACK THE HELL OUT OF OBAMA
    Clinton in effect loses the last major set of contests left in the race – HOLD ON NOW! DON'T START ATTACKING ME. EVERYONE CALM DOWN.

May 7, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  20. Tony in Atlanta

Race card is off limits but its open season for the gender card

May 7, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  21. JacknJill

What a joke, Hillary. Women have been leaving your side for the last few months as you have lied, pandered and slithered through your attempts to derail Obama.
    You lie, good women don't have to lie.

You pander, American's are tired of that kind of politics.

You slither like a snake (learning it from Carville?) when you speak of Obama as though he's not worthy of saving our country from the likes of you.

The women I know, and we are a STRONG family of women are far better than you could ever try to be. We would have NEVER stayed with a lying philandering husband just to get us a dream job. Ewww!

May 7, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  22. Sean

There is no civil rights issue. It is a private party. There is NO disenfranchisement. Federal law only applies to the November election. She is bound and determined to destroy this election.

May 7, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  23. JC

she (Hillary) said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

I wonder what kind of heart she has.
    She is simply unbelievable.

May 7, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  24. Say Good Bye!!!!!

What math is HRC using? Her own, is she going to change the rules?
    Even with Mich. and Fl. she will be unable to catch up. May she should contact some experts in math to get their opinion...oh yeah that's right she doesn't need them. If she can't add or subtract or remember the total needed...how is she going to fix the economy? Yes it would be nice to have a women president but we need one who can be......not HRC.

May 7, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  25. Jim

and why your at it will you please help me pay off my dept....

May 7, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |