May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. RIF

Kimberly May 7th, 2008 11:29 pm ET
    ________________________________

What in the world so Sharpton and Jackson have to do with anything? I guess you are impliing that those are the "voices" of the black community. I guess I'll just imply that Hannity and O'Reilly are the "voices" of your "klan".

Hope you, your mom, brother, two adult kids and husband make more that $250,000 a year like I do so we can all enjoy McCain's tax cut for the weatlhy when he's in office.

Hannity's hate blog is at foxnews. Thanks

Obama '08

May 7, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  2. Suzanne for Hillary

I will NOT vote for Obama, no matter what. He is a flawed candidate and will be defeated in November. Hillary was the only hope for the democratic party. These Obama-philes need to wake up and understand that they cannot win without Hillary's supporters. And they have bashed her so badly that there is no hope of uniting the party behind Obama. They will never get our votes and will go down in defeat. Enjoy your win in NC – it means nothing in November! Obama will lose to McCain and I will be there voting against OB. Hillary should not quit – she should see it through all the primaries. Why can't she run as an independent and whup him that way?

May 7, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  3. Rick OH

The Clintons 'came up' during the transition between old-style 'machine' politics, and the continuous 'vetting' of politicians by 24/7 news organizations. Hillary is far more apt (than Bill) to apply political tactics from the past, but I think she is basically sincere in her positions, and the validity of her campaign.

I have sided with and chosen to work for her opponent, but I respect her and her family. What I find disheartening is the 'mean spirited nature' of so many comments on this and other sites. It is OK to disagree; it is counter-productive to be 'disagreeable.'

May 7, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  4. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

Maybe Hillary can pimp "Baby Clinton" out for extra campaign money. That way, when Hillary loses, Chelsea will have a trade to fall back on.

May 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  5. KM

I am a supporter of Sen. Obama and let me say to all my fellow democrats, Let's stop all the name calling and derogatory remarks towards the other candidate. Yes, I want Obama to be the Democratic nominee but if by chance he is not, I will just have to re-evaluate who is more in line with my thinking.

We should all understand that we don't have to tear the other person down just to make our candidate look good. The Bush administration have did more harm to this country than most people realize.

May 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  6. fran

Keep on fighting Hillary.

May 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  7. Michigan Voter !!!

Take Away Two Big States From Obama The delegates The Popular Vote He'd Be Way Behind !!!!

Obama Has Pissed Off This Michigan Democrat

May 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  8. Dennise

She probably went int the meeting with a wallet full of cash and bribed them her way...Ayy give up and let it go.

May 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  9. SJT

I wont vote for Obama because of the comments that have been made by his supporters towards those of us that support Clinton. These comments have ageist ( we should stay home and either play canasta or watch Matlock and let the young people vote), sexist ( women's right to vote should be taken away), insulting ( we are dumber and less educated). Now that Obama is cloding in on the nomination his suppoters want unity. It way too late for that. They should have thought of that before the wrote all those condescending comments about the people who support Hillary.

May 7, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  10. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

Hey Kimberly, do you think you just "might "be a racist?

May 7, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  11. Ohio Hillary

All Hillary democrats need to write Hillary in if she doesn't get the nomination. We can defeat Obambi one way or another. Make a commitment now to do this. He does not deserve our vote.

Hillary in 2008 – one way or another!

May 7, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  12. Kirk

I'm From Michigan , Obama And his Campaign BLOCKED The Re-vote Here In Michigan . He Will Not Get My Vote . If He makes it To the General Election . I Feel The Democratic Party Has Given Us A Bad Choice If Obama Gets The Nomination , And I Will Vote For Sen. John McCain !!!!. I'd Rather Have 4 Years Of John McCain As President , Than 1 Day Of Obama !!! .

Obama Has Pissed Off This Michigan Democrat !!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  13. Ms. White

Bill
    You sum it up very simple for the HRC's supporters. She has changed her reason(s) for running for president and as a leader of the USA (it amaze me how people are buy it) how would anyone believe her when she speaks to us as American citiizens? For those who would vote for McCain or sit out would just continue 4 more years of bad goverment. Do you really want that? Take a chance for change....it can't be any risky that what we have now.
    OBAMA 08/12

May 7, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  14. Gillis

It appears Kimberly's family and friends are very "bitter" Would an Obama / Sebelius ticket help? Katherine Sebelius is a woman I would support and vote for and contribute financially too. She would help heal the wounds of Hillary's supporters.

May 7, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  15. Real Dem

You misguided people, why is it that the O'bama supporters would vote for Hillary if she was the nominee but Hillary supporters would vote for McCain? Because of your disapproval of O'bama you are willing to continue this disaster that Bush has made for another 4 years. If you are willing to vote for McCain knowing that nothing will change then why not take the chance with O'bama? If you all didn't know Minister Wright endorsed Bill Clinton back then and I guess it was ok but now you all need something to nitpick with to show your disapproval of O'bama. And you say it has nothing to do with race? You really think your fooling people? Just be honest with yourselves an admit that it's not about his qualifications it's about his color.

May 7, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  16. terri, montana

""""Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.
    “Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”""" Now what if we trade the name "Clinton" with "Obama" and the word "woman" with the word "african american"? Can your imagine the attacks of he had the audacity to say that?
    Obama can afford to not have the angry little voters writing in the name Hillary on the ballots, He has enough men, women, young, old, educated, working, rich, poor, white, black, hispanic, asian, native amreican, christian, mormon, catholic, muslim, jewish, happy, bitter, democratic, independent and republican voters on his side! YES WE CAN!!! GO OBAMA

May 7, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  17. Boomer Jackson, Pennsylvania

How do you spell relief – Clinton drops out and we get back to the issues.
    Phases of the Hillary Campaign:
    1. inevitable.
    2. ready.
    3. change.
    4. solutions.
    5. chaotic, broke, and pathetic
    6. history (as in gone).

May 7, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  18. Roger

I love people that go on these boards as say "if _____ wins, I will vote for McCain or not at all". I am sure that impacts the strategies of Clinton and Obama! Get over yourself and realize that Obama is winning fair and square, has taken the high road by not going negative on Clinton's character even though there is plenty of opportunity (Bosnia lies, Paul vs. Clinton, Columbia, NAFTA., etc.) Even the exit polls show most question her honesty and integrity but he hasn't gone there like she has.

May 7, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  19. EC in MD

This is so sad! She can play the gender card out right and nobody says a thing! If Obama dared to play the race card White America would be up in arms against him like he burned a flag. This is why we are so divided! I am beyond disgusted with her and all of the women votes that say it's OK to vote for her just because she's a woman! I am a BLACK MAN and I am voting for Obama!

HRC BEWARE!!! YOU WILL NOT GET THE BLACK VOTE!!!! NO DEMOCRAT CAN WIN THE WHITE HOUSE WITHOUT THE BLACK VOTE!

May 7, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  20. Dori in AZ

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” There we go, girls. Poor sad lot that we all are, right? MEOW!

Why would I want a woman like that as my President? There are far more viable, smarter, capable, well-respected, & honest women in this country. They're out walking & working amongst us & for us every single day.

Another political woman is bound to take a shot at it & do a better job! So, don't fret the small stuff. We WILL have a woman President at some point in the near future. It just won't be this time around because this election year, the better candidate happens to be a man. And, it never will be Hillary.

May 7, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  21. Matt

Kimberly you basically just said you would not vote for him because he is black. You are about as ignorant as they come. Have you not heard his message? The hope to make America a better place? His lack of "kitchen sink" politics? Have you lost your mind? He has not said vote for me because I am black once. Hillary has said vote for me because I am a woman. He has not thrown nearly as much poo as she has, and she has more skeletons in her closet than any candidate!! Are you totally ignorant or did you not realize that Sharpton and Jackson have had no part of his campaign? Wait. You are as ignorant as they come...I forgot.

May 7, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  22. observer

.....It also explains why America is in a total mess today

May 7, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  23. Dori in AZ

Hillary is enjoying the drama. Imagine how much fun any one of us could have if we had millions of dollars to "lend" to whatever our current hobby was? Ah, to be rich & famous! It's only money. Can't take it with you!

May 7, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Amanda

I understand completely what HRC is saying about women, but my God man what about the African-American struggle for the office? Hillary is just gonna stomp her feet and temper tantrum until someone stops her. Come on superdelegates.

May 7, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  25. Edryn

This makes me sick to my stomach! She plays the gender card and it's OK! If Obama played the race card White America would have a STROKE! Just goes to show that America will always have a double standard when it comes to race. How dare anyone say it's harder to be a woman than being black!

HRC WILL NOT GET THE BLACK VOTE IF SHE BECOMES THE NOMINEE!!! AS A BLACK MAN I AM TELLING YOU ALL WHAT I KNOW! WE WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN! FOR FAR TOO LONG THE DEMOCRATS HAVE TAKEN OUR VOTE FOR GRANTED. WELL NOT THIS TIME!

May 7, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |