May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Shame JC

To JC and same kind of folks

You guys are so low. I bet you always look at lower part of the people whoever come near to you. Get good moral value and become more civilized.

May 8, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  2. Danny

Keep fight for us we need you Hillary.......fight until end, look Obama unelectable. Obama slow react and bad leader.

May 8, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  3. Anita

To Voter, African American people only comprise 12 percent of the U.S. population. Of that number, 68.7 percent are registered voters (2004 Census). Of that number, about one-third are registered Republican voters. This means that African Americans, by sheer number and dissention, cannot alone vote a presidential candidate into office. The facts are that white, Asian, Hispanic, Jews, and many others are voting for Senator Obama. I just wanted to present these facts because I am TIRED of hearing and reading that the so-called black vote is putting Senator Obama ahead. He is winning the popular Dem vote, as well as the pledged delegates, because people actually want CHANGE! By the way, I am African American, and half the people I know voted for Hillary Clinton because they knew very little about Obama at the time. Some African Americans will still vote for her. Get some black friends so you can form a real opinion of people who you don't seem to know anything about!

May 8, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  4. It takes a village...

"You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win."

Yeah, what it takes is *almost* shedding a few forced tears, a kitchen sink or two, some sniper fire–oops, not that one–um, some leaked misleading photos of my opponent in tribal garb, maybe a gas tax holiday–oops, not that one either–um, stirring the gossip pot about my opponent's pastor, some misinformation about my position on NAFTA, some fudged math, buying off a few superdelegates, threatening or intimidating dozens more delegates, some negative attack ads...hm, what else?–maybe pulling the civil rights card as if I really care about MI and FL, when I didn't before and agreed to not count them when they first broke the rules... Yep, I know EXACTLY what it takes! It takes a village (of idiots)!

May 8, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  5. Neutral

Hillary MUST continue all the way until all the votes are counted, that INCLUDES Florida and Michigan. IF the Democratic Party have WINNER TAKE ALL like the Republican Party, Hillary is already the nominee. The problem with the Democratic Party, they want a LONG DRAWN OUT PRIMARY, now that it is happening, they're asking Hillary to quit. What's the matter with you people? Who are you to ask her to quit? That includes these superdelegates!

Funny enough I'm not a Hillary supporter, but I can see where democrats is committing a BIG MISTAKE, incosistent with rules they make for themselves. Even John Kerry the WIMP can't shutup his mouth.

To Obama followers, your demeaning words, showing no respect for Senator Clinton is turning off a lot of people especially those who voted for him last February, there's a BUYER'S REMORSE going against your cult leader. There are thousands of people disenfranchised in Washington State that use mail-in ballot but no delegates representation.

Winning in caucus is not democratic, its more like a boiling room brawl, muscling people.

Democrats, do the right thing for your FELLOW DEMOCRATS and the AMERICAN PEOPLE, GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO CHOOSE WHO THEY WANT TO REPRESENT YOUR PARTY IN GENERAL ELECTION.

May 8, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  6. Faith - Mobile

Okay, as a Obama supporter I really tried not to lend an ear to the nonsense of Clinton supporter being mostly uneducated blue collar workers and Obama suppoters being mostly educated college grads. However, after reading blog after blog that her (Hillary) supporters will NOT VOTE for Barack should he win the nomination, honestly boggles my mind. These people (while relentless in their dedication) will ultimately elect John McCain just because...WOW! I can't bring myself to believe that her supporters will ELECT TO KEEP OUR YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN in an ENDLESS WAR BECAUSE HILLARY IS NOT THE PRESIDENT! Talk about ultimate IGNORANCE and STUPIDY! I am more inclinded to BELIEVE that her suppporters are not only uneducated...BUT HEARTLESS and EVIL as well. The THOUGHT that Hillary and HER SUPPORTERS are not more than SHAMELESS MURDERERS!

SAD...BUT NONETHELESS TRUE.

May 8, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  7. JW

For those who say Obama does not have a chance against McCain, I laugh because back when Obama first announced his candidacy for president, similar words were spoken. Which was that he didn't stand a chance of becoming the Democratic nominee.

History has shown that a majority of people in this country were racist (and it is very very prevalent in present day america ) and it is THOSE same people who, I'm sure, if they had their way, black americans would have no rights, civil or human. But guess what? Just like they could not stop Frederick Douglas, the Civil Rights Act, the 15th Amendment, Martin Luther King, etc, there will be NO stopping Barack Obama from becoming the next president of the USA beginning in 2009. Deal with it, America. The Obama train is coming and you either get on board, or get out of the way.

May 8, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  8. cjones

IS THIS MAN (LIMBAUGH) STILL ON DRUGS? I REALLY DONT THINK ANYBODY LISTENS TO HIM. IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE IN THE WORLD OF POLITICS WHO IS NOT AGAINST OBAMA? I MEAN I'M A AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE AND I LIKE CLINTON ALSO, BUT DO ANY ONE REALLY THINK SHE IS GOING TO MAKE A DIFFRENCE WITH THE OTHER COUNTRIES? NO, WHY BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN, AND THEY(LEADERS) DONT RESPECT THEIR OWN WOMAN SO WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD RESPECT OR LISTEN TO WHAT A WOMAN HAS TO SAY . THEY ARE GOING TO THINK WE ARE A WEAK COUNTRY, BUT MAKE US MAD ENOUGH AND YOU WILL SEE HOW MUCH POWER WE HAVE!! . MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!

May 8, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  9. hazel

It is time for Clinton to concede. There is no credible path remaining for her to reach the nomination. As the 'inevitable' nominee at the outset and as someone with tremendous influence with the rules committee, Clinton was in a position to make sure MI & FL would be seated BEFORE she agreed not to seat them. There was a time to voice objection and she did not. Now for her to call it a civil rights issue is blatantly manipulative and sad.

May 8, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. jim

theres every reason and cause to sound the alarm, YOUR BOAT IS SINKING! and the obama guard is picking up your supporters

May 8, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  11. An_Asian

Although I have no right to vote since I am not an America but only a resident, my side still goes with Obama. The feeling to Mrs Colinton for me is really bad. His win to the USA presidency could in future set an historical perfect case to other countries on the earth as well.

May 8, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  12. andrew

HILLARY'08!!!!!!!!

May 8, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  13. tom wittmann

Kathy in KENTUCKY writes to HILLARY:

""..STAY STRONG AND DON'T LISTEN TO THE
    GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB. WE KNOW HOW THE GOOD OLD
    BOYS WORK.""

You are so right. HILLARY has already lost and therefore should not go cajoling the GOOD OLD BOYS to reverse the people will !!!

And HILLARY wants to enfranchize the MI and FL voters and seat their delegates. ?? ACCEPT DISTRIBUTE THEIR DELEGATES and the VOTES acknowledgement proportionally to an poll of polls by agreed pollsters and OBAMA will agree !! SO SIMPLE AS THAT !!

ELGER

May 8, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  14. Boston for OBAMA

Let the truth be told. HRC is all about HRC. Any woman who would stand by and let a man say she has "Testicular Fortitude has to be out of her mind. this would be offensive to the women I know who are proud to be women. She is not charming by any stretch of the imagination. Why Hillary do you want to destroy the image of a female president in the future? The next woman who will run will probably not be a senior citizen so don't turn the country off with this macho crap.

May 8, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  15. Neutral

A dog would be a better President than Obama, this man is lower than a maggot, if Nixon was a crook, Obama top him in that area. This country will not elect a President that has close affiliation with anti-America, anti-white church, Ayers, Rezko that helped him buy his mansion in Hyde Park.

May 8, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  16. Liz

Kimberly,

as a white democrat female for over 20 years, you don't sound like a democrat to me.

May 8, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  17. Dennis

I find it interesting about the anger that Clinton supporters show towards Obama. He has run a relatively positive and clean campaign. Any negativity from his side has been in response to Hillary attacks. He has truly been a gentleman in the fact she threw the kitchen sink at him, but he could have thrown the KITCHEN at her and showed restraint. As an Obama supporter I understand why Obama people are upset with her. This is not a slam or a crack at her, but she was clearly not truthful on several issues and played out of the republican playbook when going against Obama. THIS is what has ticked us off. It was like he had one arm tied behind his back.

May 8, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  18. Bayou Joe

98% of the Black vote goes for Obama and this is not a racist candidate? Give me a break. It is all about race or gender in the Democratic Race.

In November the Real voters that actually work and pay taxes, send their children to fight for America will vote for McCain. Patriotism triumphs over inexperience.

May 8, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  19. jason

so, how is it that no one is calling her out for wanting to seat the michigan and florida delegates – and she wants to do this strictly because Obama wasn't on the ballot.

The claim that they "simply should count" is absurd – although I agree with her lie. She only wants them seated because it would give her an (unfair) edge.

I don't fully understand how people can be so naive as to buy into that nonsense still. I mean, deception is as old as politics, but why are people still falling for it? Didn't your mothers ever tell you not to believe everything you see on TV?

May 8, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  20. Bring Unity not Divide and Conquer

Bill Clinton holds a membership to an Elite white only country club that proudly displays the confederate flag that all Presidents and former Presidents have access to. If Barrack Obama was spotted on the green where Clinton has admittedly golfed, do you think they would roll out the red carpet or show him the door?

Barbara Bush stood by her President son and Bill Clinton while touring the astrodome and was recorded making these comments "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality."
    "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."
    President George W. Bush and Bill Clinton said nothing and did nothing to correct her or to apologize to those who lost family due to starvation, injury or neglect and a very poorly operated emergency aide.

if she can say such things, i wonder what amusing dinner conversation they had in the White House with the former first lady and how Hillary truly feels about the "underprivileged".

May 8, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  21. david

Sharon from Minnisota,
    There is one big problem with your logic, both candidates was on the ballots in NC and MN, both candidates was able to campaign in both NC and MN. Hillary signed the agreement not to count FL and MI so why do any of you support this idea just because she is losing. It reminds me of kids who take their ball and go home when they lose. Fl and MI votes where the way they where because they did not know Obama and the Clinton name was its own brand so by not campaigning in those states was a benefit for Clinton.

Sharon I don't know you at all you might be great at basket ball but if I had to pick a team and it was between you and Tony parkers wife I would go with Tony Parkers wife because I know his name and he is good but in reality you might be 100 times better than Tony Parker wife, but I don't know anything about you and you was not allowed to let me get to know you. I hope you get what I am saying and if you do I know you will never mention the FL and MI votes again

May 8, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  22. Overseas Bratha

I'm constantly amazed by Hilary's sheer greed and opportunism. It is remarkable that Democrats would even consider voting for her, given that she shows the same tenacity & resolute determination to inflame 'at all costs' that is reminiscent of GWB!

May 8, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  23. Joe

I'm sorry but Rev Wright was not a spiritual advisor for the Clinton's so whoever made up that balogna is full of crap

May 8, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  24. gdr

what do yuo know Obama in the gen'l election will win GA, SC, MS and win the precidency LOL..what a shame the college punks want to vote for obama just becuase the other students are doing it. Stop texting and take off that cell phone clinging to yuor ear and think for 5 minutes. All i could see from Obama supporters why they want to vote for him is because "he is nice", "he inspiring".."I like him"..WOW the reasons why you have to vote for a candidate and the tragedy is this is the educated idiots.

All Obama talks is hillary said that, she said this..bla bla.bla and the obamans cry that hillary is negative...LOL

May 8, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  25. Tricia in NH

If MI and Fl won't count, then how about we don't count Ill or NC either? What would the uproar be then? I think that if Obama was behind, he would fight for Fl & MI with as much verocity. But, if he does that now, it would put her ahead in the pop vote-that's why he's dragging his feet. Those people voted and should be counted. Most voted for her regardless of it "counting". So, how can the DNC, in all good consciousness, not count those votes? Give Obama the undecideds in MI and those votes cast for him in FL. Why is this so difficult?

Additionally, why should she drop out? Because she's a threat to the "Golden boy"? She has proven her worth, she has a proven record and her ideas and goals for this country are just what we need. She's been very specific where Obama has not.

Do the right thing! Vote Hillary! Stay in the fight!

May 8, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |