May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Dave

What I would like to know, and which, try as I might, can see nobody else wondering about this in the comments sections, is why did they allow Billary to meet with the DNC about allowing the votes of Fl. and Mi. to count, and senator Obama was not? Sounds a LOT like she is getting preferential treatment for SOME reason! hmmmmm

May 8, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  2. Olga

Sharon M

Ther is no logic to what you say.
    North Carolina and Minnesotta did not break the party rules. Florida and Michigan did. Do you know who helped to write these rules, such that the votes would not count and the delegates would not be seated? Well, it was none other than Hillary's advisor, Harold Ickes. Yes, the Hillary team helped to write the rules to punish the states of Florida and Michigan. This was when they believed that they would wrap up the nomination by Super Tuesday and she would not need those two states. So, she never felt that they were important until she desparately needed them. If you want to spout off about things, you should really have your facts straight.
    The rules were put in place and Michigan and Florida broke them. That is by the DNC not the candidates. Why don't you do some research and find the video clips of Hillary acknowledging that the votes will not count and then find copies of the documents she signed.
    Please get your information before you start talking so irrationally.

All of you women out there, who are holding onto your allegiance to Hillary, and refuse to reunite behind the party nominee, need to seriously thnk of the consequences of a another Republican administration. Think about the war, that will continue, the appointment of judges to the Supreme Court, health care, just to name a few. I hope that you will be able to look your children in the eyes and know that you are taking away their future.

May 8, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  3. Ed NJ

Talk about an Elitist!

She is rich enough to continue this scorched earth campaign to the detriment of Obama and the Democratic party.

Instead of rallying women behind Barack, she is making this a divisive gender driven campaign now. The Super delegates are super blind to what she is now doing.

May 8, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  4. Dem in Cincinnati

The hatred that is inspired by Obama and carried out by his supporters is what is tearing the Dem party apart. Hillary is a fighter. Her energy is unending. Obama has already fueled the Republican party with enough content to tear him to shreds in a general election. Hillary however has taken all that is thrown at her, lived through hell and survived. What hardships did Obama go through? He has managed to polarize the party with his smugness , elite condescending attitude. I will write in Hillary on the ballot, and be the first to say "I told you so" when McCain wins.

May 8, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  5. Val

I am an Obama supporter that likes Hillary. There are however, things she has said that really turns me off:
    1. Her frequent use the gender card (beginning to sound like a victim) This is a horrible double standard and really not fair to us women, OR to the Black candidate who has NOT ONCE spoke about how hard it is being a black man.

2. The fact that she's asking for more money from us Americans so she can pay off her debt. What about us? You talk about how we suffer and that $30 would save us money, but yet you want contributions for a campaign that is barely hanging on. How would you really handle the economy?
    Man, I feel like such a fool in believing in Hillary all these years.

May 8, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  6. Brit Nawlins

I see people saying MEAN HATEFUL things about SENATOR CLINTON and making up reasons why she remains in this race ..
    She remains because MILLIONS of American Voters want her to stay in ...
    Are you people NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the millions who have voted for her and CONTINUE to VOTE FOR HER ?
    We want her IN .... Period .. If you want to say bad things about people say them about us .. We after all are the reason she is still in it ...

May 8, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  7. Bring Unity not Divide and Conquer

To McCain. Do you think we should wear our patriotism on our sleeves? the swastika was a sign of patriotism and people wore them out fear. hmmm. sounds familiar.

As for Hillary, i don't think that reaching out to white voters while toting guns and 20 dollar bills in the back of a pickup truck claiming god chose you sits well with the rest of us.

i keep thinking the soundtrack to that movie would involve tanks, airaids, and marching through the streets or hillbilly chase music.

May 8, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  8. An concerned citizen

Cham May 7th, 2008 10:11 pm ET

If Hillary was leading the delegate counts, the number of delegates needed would be no more than 2,025. Further, she would suggest that the trailing candidate should bow out once she reached that number.

**************************

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE RULES, IT IS O.K. TO DISENFRANCHISE FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN, BUT YOU SAY IT IS O.K. FOR THEM TO CHANGE THE RULES FOR CHANGE THE OFFICIAL DELEGATE COUNT FROM 2200 TO 2025....

May 8, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  9. john m

Clinton: "No cause for alarm"
    What a leadership she's displaying here! - this proves Hillary is a great leader for us. Normally, most people would be discouraged, but, she is not. Wow, is female really a weaker sex? - she is amazing.

Yes We Will!
    Hillary '08

May 8, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  10. jason

i feel sorry for the Clintons...

not enough to vote for them though.

May 8, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  11. Jon

Hillary represents what we stand for. I will never vote for Obama. If Hillary drops out, no matter what results, if Obama is the Dem nominee, I will be voting for McCain. Hundreds of my colleagues feel the same way.

May 8, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  12. JRC

Interesting, CALLED UPON and CALLED UPON TOO

I got called by Obama's campaign office and was only asked if I would vote for him and if I would tell my friends that I felt he would be an excellent candidate. No mention of a donation.....

I think you should report this to Obama's headquarters.

May 8, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  13. Von

It's funny how backwards this country STILL is. Choose one... Obama's not black because he was raised white or is he racist because of the words from someone else's mouth? The argument has been made that Clinton is experienced and Obama is not. Where is that logic coming from? Her years as first lady? Since when did people start getting credit for the work of their spouse? The two terms she has served on the Senate? O.k. All I know about her is that she went on a few diplomatic trips as first lady and knows how to rub elbows with the good ol' boys (which is what I thought this country was trying to get away from).

Personally, I'm tired of being robbed at the gas station and by the electric companies. These men are called into Congress and questioned on the increases and they say the same thing "When we say RECORD PROFITS, that's not what we mean. We are just getting by." And our government as it stands says o.k. That's it, nobody has to answer for anything and the ordinary people have to just suck it up. All this bickering and pettiness needs to end. People of other countries look upon these sites and feed into their stereotypes; that Americans are ignorant and incapable of deep thought. Please people stop proving them right!! We let our minds get so clouded with the non-issues, people like Bush get elected into office. Destroy our chance for the White House if you want to but don't complain about it later.

We need an educated person in office that thinks before he/she acts. We need a person that has not been corrupted by the current political system, and still feel that they are on a mission for the AMERICAN people and not their personal bank account. We need someone capable of rebuilding the respect we once held in other Nations. We need someone who will work to strengthen our economic status and not feed us BS. Right now we need Barack Obama.

May 8, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  14. RB in Madison, WI

Hillary- this is exactly why I love you to death. You've had a world of crap fall on you and you're still standing tall. You're courageous, optimistic, and an inspiration to women everywhere. STAY IN THIS! Don't let them push you out.

FL & MI's delegates will be seated somehow, much to the dismay of your so-called "noble opponent."

PA was yours, NC was his, and IN was the tie-breaker; you won.

You are why I turn to my 6 year old sister when we see you on tv and say, "See? You can be anything you want."

WE NEED YOU – DON'T GIVE IN!
    Everyone knows McCain is a shoe-in if Obama gets the nom.

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON, HILLARY!!

May 8, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  15. No Bill, Hillary or McCain Ever/CA

Here we go again-playing the feminist to get your small group of supporters all up in arms. Well, I am a middle aged woman and I DO NOT want you as a role model for me or my young female family members EVER.

May 8, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  16. HRC SUPPORTER

I love the fact that she is a fighter. She's in till the end and if at the end she falls short, then she knows she did her best. Who in the hell would put up with so much, just to give it away.

May 8, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  17. Jason

Give her a chance. She is a historic candidate and the democrats shouldn't decide this contest before the voting is over. I personally am one of those people who would still like to see both candidates on the ticket.

May 8, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  18. debbie in Arkansas

I don't get it, but then again I can't see up her sleeve.

Whatever trick is hiding there must be worth about $5.0 mil...

One can only suppose, she's betting on that one, and it will sure be interesting to watch.

May 8, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  19. Rob

Kimberly, You and your family can go ahead and do that.

And when McCain still has our troops in Iraq and is building up against Iran...If you want someone to blame. Just look in a mirror.

May 8, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  20. Tina

For all of those people who say that they will vote for Mccain if Obama get's the nomination: I don't care who you vote for as long as Hillary is NOT our next president. Anyone is better than her; Obama, Mccain, the easter bunny..... Anybody but Hillary Clinton!!

May 8, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  21. a florida

Why should I vote for someone who has more then 1 anti- american friend or connection ..Especially in this time and age..I cant understand why anyone who has some sense would.. It has nothing to do with race..That is why I will never vote for Obama!!!!

May 8, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  22. debbie Arkansas

Can't post now...have to get my cookies out of the oven...

May 8, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  23. LT for Obama

I just read an article on USA Today where Michigan is offering to delegate 69 delegates to Clinton and 59 to Obama so that they can be seated at the convention.

How is anything other than 50/50 fair when they did not campaign nor was he on the ballot in that state? They said that he would have gotten 55 delegates based on the Jan voting. How can they determine that when, again, he was not in the ballot and there was no campaigning?

I am really getting pretty pissed off with these people in Michigan and Florida. They need to settle this so that it is fair to EVERYONE.

May 8, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  24. NOOBAMA

When Obama first ran for office, he knocked his opponents out by charging false accusations. They did not have the funds or time to fight it so dropped out. Then he gets the slum landlord, Rezko to campaign and support him using tainted money and won. He had helped Rezko get up to $100 million in grants or cheap loans for his business and Rezko paid him back by helping to purchase his mansion and the land.. He also had Bill Ayers open the door to the Chicago elite group for him. He used his church and pastor for political gain, then flushed them for political gain. This man is not honest and has no credibility, just a lot of big talk and false promises. If Obama wins, America loses.

May 8, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  25. Kay

Should all females vote for HRC? Of course not. When did it stop being about the party? If BO doesn't complete his first term to the countries satisfaction, we (dem. party) are obligated to vote him out in 4 years. But right now he is our best hope for correcting the mess the bush/clinton administrations have created. Give him a chance to compete against McCain. I'm looking forward to the debates.

All I ask is that Hillary and her supporters stop wishing bad luck on our nominee. Remember, karma is a bi–h, what goes around comes back around. Twice as hard, too.

May 8, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |