May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. George

I dont know why she is spoiling her image. what people will about the person who is second and seeking nomination.it is not good for her. she will lose all the upcoming contests. once people know the real face they no longer support her. so better exit with some respect. that is the only way for her.

May 8, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  2. a florida

Why should I vote for someone who has more then 1 anti- american friend or connection ..Especially in this time and age..I cant understand why anyone who has some sense would..That is why I will never vote for Obama!!!!
    It has nothing to do with race!!!

May 8, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  3. Marilyn, SD

That's true, Hillary will be working her heart out for the Democratic nominee–but only if it's her. She will never work her heart out for Barack or anyone else other than herself.

Obama 08

May 8, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  4. cathy terry

I am one of the uneducated, low income, older women that Hilary thinks she speaks for ... that I am so ignorant that I don't know that Barcak is running as a man that cares deeply about this country that just happens to be black,that doesn't know that I get that as far as she is concerned this election is all about her, her goals and her dreams and her ambitions! Top reasons I will not and canot vote for Hillary, she lies (not misspeaks), offers let them eat cake solutions and is so out of touch with the american people and what is real. As a former Republican, how far removed is so from the It's all About Me group that have almost destroyed this country - if she was honest and sincere she would get out now, not later. (Incidentally, I was thrilled when I first learned that she was running, it would give us Bill back, now I find myself appalled and very much afraid of someone who has written me off as an idiot that could so easily be swayed that I couldn't add 1+1 and come up with 2. If it looks like a d uck, and quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck it is a duck. Hillary get out now so that there is still a possibility to save this nation.

May 8, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  5. Jatovi, NC

She's finally right on something. There is no cause for alarm. It's time for Obama to focus on McCain and he has already started. The only thing left for Hilary to do is to bow out and not become the next Nader.

May 8, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  6. Ida

I and my two boys, my all family, my community will only vote and trust Obama, he is the hope for every American, he is the man of all men, he has the strength and the knowledge to lead the country, Sen. Obama I will support you till death do us a part. America welcome the new President of United States of America hurrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaay.

May 8, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  7. Jmm

A lot of people don't understand that the ball is in Clinton's court. It is essentially clinton's decision if she wants her voters to vote for Obama if he wins. She could simply take this to the floor in August and just destroy him.
    I personally think she should do this because she is the stronger candidate for President.
    This country is so scared that black people will retaliate that they will give the nomination to Obama instead to her.
    Antoher thing is that if she really wanted to, she could run as an independant against both McCain and Obama...
    Hillary 2008

May 8, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  8. Vineet

I think she forgot her opponent is black!

May 8, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  9. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Dear Hillary,
    Please stop taking money from all the ordinary people that can't afford to be giving money to you. You have millions in your own bank account – use that money! I am a woman and I will NOT vote for you because you lie too much! Please drop out and go home. Thank you.

May 8, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  10. No Bill, Hillary or McCain Ever/CA

Let's face it. The only reason Hillary became a democrat is she knew in the republican party she could NEVER go anywhere as a woman since they only like old men. She conveniently married Bill and became a democrat. All this just to get where she is now. I would really like to ask her was it worth it? This is why she is so friendly with John Insane and always agrees with the republican policies. No, she will NEVER get any of my family or friends votes. I could not sleep if I voted for this republican. Vote for the ONLY democrat running Obama. On another note, I keep hearing about Michelle's thesis-well I wish Hillary would make her's public. I think many of you would see just how sick Hillary really is. I'm sure many people would RUN to get away from her. At least Michelle's is out there for the public to see.

May 8, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  11. Brendose, Oceanside CA

What a sexist remark!!!!

Think about it if Barack Obama said something like this "I'm a man and we need to stand up for men everywhere!" He would be shunned and practically stoned.

Even if he said the same phrase with "I'm an African American and we need to stand up for African Americans everywhere"

Her loose, sexist and previous racist comments have brought forth tremendous tension between Democrats Nationwide. Please.......superdelegates........put an end to this hatred!!!!

May 8, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  12. Sheila WA

To all you on this thread complaining about Obama fans and their hateful remarks? Maybe you need to take a second or third look at some of your comments? The math isn't there. It's as simple as that. Senator Obama is winning fair and square, and no amount of threats or promises that you won't support Obama in the fall is going to change that. The DNC rules were in place long before Sen Obama ever thought of being President. This same system in place now is the same system and rules that President Bill Clinton campaigned under and won twice. MI and FL will get some resolution, but in my opinion, they didn't play by the rules and they should have to face the consequences. You don't continue to move and change the rules when they don't benefit you. For those of you who say they can't steal this election away from Hillary or you won't vote? Hillary is not winning in states won, popular vote, delegate count, so there is no stealing of the election going on. If the Supers want to hand it to Hillary, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But for right now, Hillary is in 2nd place and not the prospective nominee at this point. I also believe that half the supposed Hillary supporters on this board are really part of Operation Chaos and are here to continue the mischief and keep the divide going.

May 8, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  13. will

B.S. We should be getting panic attacks right now if she doesn't leave asap.

May 8, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  14. Danny in Pittsburgh

Before all you tizzies up and run for the old guy who can't even remember where he's speaking...consider this, WOMEN.

If you value your own reproductive rights, then you'd simply better get off the divisive train and accept that you absolutely MUST vote Democratic come November...heck, even if we ran a potato!

Because John McCain has sworn to overturn Roe V Wade...and the next President will control the balance of power on the supreme court. Enough of the race and gender baiting...EITHER candidate is a leap foward when compared to John McBush.

Stop the bickering, lick your wounds, and get serious about helping the country get better!

May 8, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  15. adele

I admire and have a lot of respect for Sen Clintons willingness to stand up for women and all groups that are and have been disscriminated to by 'the boys in Washington'..and as for all these hateful comments generated on these blogs just reminds me how small minded some of these people are.
    What a wonderful world it could be if we were all a little more respectful of others differences..which I believe Sen Clinton stands for..

May 8, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  16. Chris from San Antonio

I'd vote for any woman other than a conniving, deceitful, untrustworthy, shrill one.

May 8, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  17. Bring Unity not Divide and Conquer

Clinton: when you play the race card, the racists jump on board your pickup truck, with guns and bibles in hand.

May 8, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  18. Ernest

Go Hillary. We love you

May 8, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  19. DE

There are so many misstatements by Clinton supporters in this post I have no idea where to start.

"African Americans seem to outnumber in the democratic party" No, actually they make up less than a quarter of the Democratic electorate. Just 14% in 2004.

"Anybody but her. If she gives up, we give it to McCain." A George Bush third term, huh? Real rational thought process.

Disturbing. Now I understand why the Founders were apprehensive of letting the American people actually decide elections.

May 8, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  20. kc chicago

When OBama loses theGeneral Election in November to McCain it will be Hillary's fault you heard it here first ,92% black vote ,wont cut it folks ,wake up and smell 4 more years of Republicans,he has not won the blue collar vote and he wont ,not because he's black but because he's not ready

May 8, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  21. SAM

Yes I am an African American– 24yrs old – and always surprises me how the 92% blacks are voting for Obama – if white would have done this – every African American including the bias media would have been pointing figures on the white and call them a resist – what are we doing???? This country is not only racist but also misogynist. – farewell the old good America – you are being overtaken by the hungry devils!!!!

May 8, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  22. Country Joe

I like hillary, she is an excellent candidate. However, Obama is clearly the winner and she should start considering an exit strategy.

If she wants to continue running ... more power to her. If she is not negative and hurting obama, her staying in the race is a good thing.

May 8, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  23. Caroline

This woman has serious problems. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she is playing the gender game. I don't like her, but I feel she has really hit rock bottom. Is there no end to her power hunger?

May 8, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  24. JRC

The best thing about the race within the Democratic Party is it should not be about race or gender, we are willing, as a party to accept either one. We should, as a Party, rise above the Republicans and embrace that. We are the one's that are more highly evolved than the republicans.
    Democrats, UNITE! We cannot have 4 more years of Bush!

May 8, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  25. Michael

Sharon in Minnesota,

And all other Hillary supporters who are on this "count Florida and Michigan" kick. For some reason, you just don't get it. Or maybe, you just don't WANT to get it! You, like Hillary, pretend to be SO concerned about "disenfranchising" voters. Well, if Hillary was ahead, she would care less about them - and if you know ANYTHING about your candidate at this point, you know that's true. But everything else aside, both you AND Hillary have CHOSEN (not failed) to disregard the most important point: Hillary AGREED, as did EVERY OTHER DEMOCRAT IN THE RACE, that Florida and Michigan would NOT count before the campaigning even BEGAN! I teach third grade and I can tell you that's the kind of thing THEY do - try to change the rules as they go along to suit them - not a grown woman running for the highest office in the country! Have a little DIGNITY for goodness sakes! The words "losing graciously" are certainly not a part of Hillary's vocabulary. If she wants to stick it out until the end of the primaries in a few more weeks, by all means DO THAT - that isn't against the rules she agreed to. Trying to count delegates she AGREED not to count does go against what she agreed! Is that her way of saying that her word means NOTHING unless it benefits her? She didn't think she would need either of those states so they were non-issues for her before. Besides all of that, there is no fair formula for awarding those delegates at this point. Why? Because I have read COUNTLESS comments on blogs from citizens of those two states who are COMPLAINING about the possibility of counting their votes! Why? Because they were told they were NOT GOING TO COUNT! So aside from the obvious issues of not campaigning in Florida and names not being on the ballot in Michigan, COUNTLESS voters believed their governments and the DNC when they were told their votes would not count, so why waste your time voting? So you tell me, who is REALLY being disenfranchised here in counting the votes?!? Those who voted ANYWAY and now whose votes might count, or those who played by the rules and didn't participate?? The other thing is you have NO idea which of the two groups is larger!! That said, if I was Barack Obama, there's NO WAY I would let you attempt to allocate delegates (except 50-50), based on unreliable, skewed data. Wouldn't happen!

May 8, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |