May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Called Upon

Yesterday I received a call from Obama's campaign asking for money. What was notable about the call was the disrespectful and disdainful way the Obama worker spoke of Clinton and the whole primary process. Moreover, the caller did not have a true understanding of the campaign finace laws or electoral college of which she spoke. The call was so negative that I was completely turned off. Obama's campaign seems to think that letting people vote is a bother and they have no respect for Sen. Clinton (a current 2 term Senator , former first lady, and the first viable woman presidential candidiate).
    That phone call summed up so many problems with Obama's approach to the Democratic Party and Presidency.
    I will not support Obama.
    I will write in Hillary in November if I have to.

May 7, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Roxy

Go Hillary, we need a fighter in the White House!

Hillary 08

May 7, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  3. JC

Well, Hillary met House Speaker Nancy Pelosi today.
    She should have asked Nancy for advice on how to be more convincing as

"Hillary lacks conviction of anything." – Dr. Robert Reich, Bill's labor secretary.

Nancy can make a point without being a liar and spinner.
    Nancy will not laugh at you for believing, God forbid, her lie.
    Nancy is an excellent role model for American women, while Hillary puts women to shame. She will make it much more difficult for the next woman candidate. What does she care?

Nobody should stand up and say he or she is the best at anything.
    That is left for others to say. Endorsements from own family are meaningless. You don't ask your husband as your reference when you apply for any job. The Clintons just don't get it, because they think they are above us.

May 7, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  4. Gerry In Toronto

The interpetation of this message, is help Hillary pay off her campaign debt, so she can repay herself.

May 7, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  5. Don

How can Hillary say let the super delegates decide when Obama hasthe the majority of the popular votes. Just like the Clintons to not listen to the majority and make decisions for their own gain. Obsma has an insurmountable lead in every category and is the Democratic choice. Get over it Hillary and serve the people by resigning.

May 7, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  6. Pat in Cali

If Rev. Wright would not have been Hillary's pastor, how come he was Bill and Hillary's spiritual adviser during the Monica scandal. Bill would not be my husband if he committed adultery and got caught red handed.

And how come Catholics do not leave their churches when they find out that their priest have been molesting their sons. Is there a double standard here?

Hillary has to stay in the race until her supporters give her enough money to pay herself back $11 million and pay the rest of her campaign debts. No cause for alarm until she gets some more contributions. Now that's a shell game for you.

May 7, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  7. Peter

Listen – If Hillary Clinton says "No cause for alarm", there is BIG cause for alarm!
    If Hillary Clinton says "I will wholeheartedly support the nominee", she means that SHE will be the nominee, otherwise she will give the same level of support to Obama as Edwards gave to Kerry ie..NONE.
    Hillary, if you have 35 years experience, why didn't you forgo 4 of them and take on incumbent Bush in 2004??? That's when America needed you, in 2008 you need America!

May 7, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  8. BJ

That's right Hillary!

Obama supporters are ALWAYS so hasty in asking you to quit. GEEZ, he only ONE primary in 2 months! The same thing happened before until you SILENCED them with PA.

NC is predominantly Black, so what good does it do Obama being the BLACK CANDIDATE? I'm not even worried about the young kids, because by Nov. they will have forgotten. Short attention span. He still CANNOT WIN in NOV.

Rush Limbaugh thinks too highly of himself, if he thinks you won IND because "he" told Reps to vote your way. Legend in his own mind truly!

YOU are the only one that can beat McCain in Nov. So if the Democrats deny you the nomination, then GO INDEPENDENT and we'll follow you! The Democrats can continue losing for the next 100 years!

May 7, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  9. allxdreamer

I think many ppl are just acting silly. First of all Hillary WON Indiana, a state Obama said would be the tie breaker. Hillary also did well in N.C. considering Obama is getting 90%+ of the black vote. She still managed to get 43% of the votes, almost half. Everyone knew Obama was going to win N.C. that was no new factor. But everyone didn't know is that although through a narrow margin, HILLARY CLINTON WON ANOTHER STATE. If Obama was doing so well as the pudits are trying to imply, why didn't Obama win INDIANA? The fact is Obama is still a weak candidate. I still believe the Republicans know Hillary would the the toughest opponent and that is why many have voted for Obama. The problem is coming in November, this game will not play out for Obama and the republicans who are allowed to vote in the DEM Primary will vote for MCCain.
    I have heard some say Hillary's supporters are bitter. Well, I am not bitter that ppl are voting. That is what the primary was made for. What I am bitter about is just because Obama won N.C. as everyone projected considering the large black vote but still lost INDIANA, Hillary should drop out. NON SENSE. Whether Hillary wins or not, she has a right to continue on. As long as she is still winning states, AND SHE IS STILL WINNING STATES OVER OBAMA, there is no reason for her to drop out. I think most superdelegates will understand that the big states are important states and if Obama can't win over Hillary, how is he going to win over John MCCAIN and all the negatives he will use in the general election. Stop saying Hillary should quit; she has every right to go on so every vote is counted.

May 7, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  10. mzgemini, carnegie,pa

It is truly a sad state of affairs when one selfish person is willing to sacrifice the good of the entire party because of her feeling of entitlement. It is more of a disgrace that she will take money from people for a failed campaign at a time when many people are struggling just to make it. Instead of trying to sell false hope and gimmicks, Hillary should exit with whatever dignity she has left and try to help the democratic party take back the White House in Nov.

It appears that her only motive now is to force Obama to lose so that she can say I told you so and come back and try to run in 2012.

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Adam Schifter

Good bye Hillary. It was a nobel run. Please bow out while you still have the respect of your party.

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  12. Write - In

If Obama takes the nomination, then I am writing in Hillary's name in November.
    I am tired of standing by and supporting whichever left wing liberal the DNC throws at us even though they can't win in a general election.
    Clinton is the best candidiate and she has been treated terribly by the media and the corrupt DNC. Plus, Obama has been disrespectful of her from the start.
    I'm writing in her name in November if I have to. I'm fed-up, and I'm not supporting the Democratic ticket this year if she is not the nominee.

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  13. Independent

Clinton is calculating her chance again: secretly wishing that a scandel explores Obama since this is all what she got to know in her own life. She has miscalculated. if Republicans got some attack to do, they'll wait after the nomination, not now. The porblem is that demographic superdelegates are shortsighted to go alone with it. They are making a mistake.

I won't t trust Clinton in her words such as 'work her heart out" for Obama. Believe me, she is not trusworthy and can be malicious. Just look at her patterns of behavior.

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  14. DC

That is precisely the problem with Hillary: do what it takes to actually win. Bush demonstrated that Americans are gulible and easily driven by fear when he so easily sold the war and Hillary has jumped on the Bush fear monger band wagon.

May 7, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  15. Hillary Lies!

Entitlement, it's a powerful thing.

May 7, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  16. Ross in MD

Great rationale – "I know I lost the election, ran my campaign $20 million in the hole, insulted half the Democratic party, but hey I'm a woman. Vote for me, I won't get prostate cancer"!

May 7, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  17. Jay from Chicago

I think this is a great idea by the Obama campaign to encourage supporters to donate in order to match Hillary's loans to her campaign.

I hope and pray that Hillary drops out so that our country can begin the healing process to take on John Mccain in the fall. Don't her supporters see that Hillary is only looking out for her own ambition at this point.

It's funny how Clinton who is worth 109 million dollars is asking working people to support her dying campaign. Even more ridiculous is that she is charging her supporters interest on the loans she gave the campaign. Even more stunning, she is just using the rest of the funds she gets from now on to pay off outstanding debts and reimburse herself with the money of people who are struggling to make ends meet..

how ironic..she is the antichrist

Obama 2008

May 7, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  18. Sharon Minnesota

If the North Carolina voters were disenfranchised by taking away their votes due to a bogus penalty where the opposing party was responsible, what would the Obama people be saying then????

To even the score, I suggest that North Carolina and, let's see ahh, how about Minnesota, lets wipe their votes out too. That make it fair for both candidates. Silly, I know but it makes as much sense to nullify the votes in Florida and Michigan too.

How about it Clinton supporters, let's have your opinion on this.

COUNT FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN VOTES!!!

May 7, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  19. Monique from NC

This is exactly why I love her! She is a fighter, an optimist and I'm behind her all the way.

May 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  20. Robert

Hillary really seems obsessed with her gender. Perhaps thats been part of the problem. She doesn't want to be the next great president as much as she wants to be the first female president.

May 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  21. No McSame

None for you $100,000,000 woman. Can't sell me don't worry be happy Bush already used that pitch.

May 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  22. NH Mom

Hillary you are absolutely amazing. You are tireless, tenacious, tough, and brilliant. I admire you greatly. I don't know how you do it and I wish I had just an ounce of your courage and energy.
    I support you fully.
    Step back and give the lady some room for a change. And, some well deserved respect too.

Hillary all the way. If she doesn't get the nomination, then I'm writing her name in on my ballot in November. I will be proud to do so.

May 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. Karen G

Hillary is right she is the best candidate, people seem to forget how many times obama has lied to the public, his first lie is posing as a black man, though he is far from black. He is so white in his upbringing he will never have the values of the black people. If you are voting for him just because you are black, you will be sadly disappointed, he is only using you. The misstruths that Hillary has said are not near as bad as obama's, get real and look at the big picture and quit voting with your skin.He will drop you like a hot cake and go back to his white roots,after he has used you.

May 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  24. Mark

I hope Hillary will restore some of credentials, that are lost throughout this campaign, in the remaining few days of her campaign by elevating the bitterness that has grown among deomcrats.

May 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  25. New Yok

Mrs. "Do or say anything" I am so tired of your spin. If it was the other way around you would have been shouting from the mountain top for BO to end his campaign and NOT he should stay in the race because it is so hard for someone like him to be best at anything. I am so thankful for the results yesterday! Sooner or later you will have have to end it. Please God let it be sooner!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |