May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. barackobama44thpresidentofusa.blogspot.com

It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time for Barack Obama for president !

May 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  2. Sharon - NC

I think all of the non-thinking women of the country who support Hillary Clinton should go ahead and send her the $30 they would have saved by repealing the gas tax for the summer (as if she had the power and the time frame within which to accomplish this ridiculous notion) so that she can pay off her debt and go away. Go ahead, let her use you some more.

May 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  3. Peter

I trust that the good people of Oregon will finally terminate Hillary's delusion and the Democrat's nightmare.
    Obama simply cannot accept her as a VP, it would be an utter disaster! After Oregon, Obama will have enough delegates and supers to allow MI and FL to be counted as they now stand. At this point he will not need more supers, his lead will be reduced but he will cross the 2025 finish line. The DNC will not give Hillary what she most wants – a new finish line of 2250 delegates.
    This way FL and MI are happy, Obama is happy, the DNC are happy, the superdelegates are happy since they don't have to choose or switch alligences, and Hillary Clinton is gone!

May 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  4. European Guest

It is awesome to see from europe:

The democratic party still discuss about a nominee while one of them is unbeatable in the popular vote. This fight only reduces the chance for a win in november. You should seriously make a decision now, before the reputation of Sen. Obama is damaged to hard by the unfaily campain of Sen. Clinton. If this would be a public played chess game, nobody would understand why Sen. Clinton still is going on without the chance of a win. She is wasting money of there supporters and even worse: time for the democratic party to start a working campain for november.

May 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. Monique from NC

No matter how you feel about him, his opinion is not to be taken lightly. Hillary is the stronger candidate.

May 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  6. Sharon Minnesota

Please, Please, Obama supporters try to be civil. It's getting so that I can hardly look at these posts anymore. You will be the only voice heard pretty soon as people are getting so put off with your negative and hateful remarks about the Clintons. Is that what you are really looking for, complete isolation from your fellow democrats?

May 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  7. Behold, The Queen From The Twilight Zone Arriveth!

Oh, you all thought that 2,025 was the number for victory? Well, Queen Hillary from the Twilight Zone is here to correct your foolish mistake!

This lady has mental health issues.

May 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. Voter

Because the democratic party has a super delegate system, and the super delegates do not vote until the convention, Obama will not be the nominee until Hillary gives up! It is that simple. Hillary has to give up for Obama to win. How can Hillary give up if she and her supporters believe that she has the best solutions for our country. The United States of America is above any party – Republican or Democratic. Hillary should fight on if she believes in her Solutions for America. This is the only way! People will support her if they believe in her solutions. If she loses, the next best person will gain their support. Why should someone vote for a party - this is about the president of the United States of America!

May 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  9. Ron

Give Sen Clinton Mi and FL base it on the average that she won iin states which is 52 %

Clinton 1686 + 52% of 368 = 1876
    Obama 1845 + 48% of 368 = 2021

Go Obama / Edwards 08

May 7, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. Debra

It is for the people of the United States of America to decide who is the best candidate. Based on current numbers, that is not you Mrs. Clinton. Let the race continue and when all have voted and you are still behind, will you step down. I doubt it. This is your destiny in your eyes. Maybe 8 or 4 years ago, but not today. Today it is our time whether you like it or not.

May 7, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. Mary

This is the first time ever that I will not support the Democratic Ticket. I am not voting for McCain or Obama. I too will be writing in my candidate's name (Hillary Clinton) on my ballot in the November general election. I have never done a write-in candidiate before…but now is the time!! I am sending my message to the DNC (who messed-up Florida and Michigan and who created the ridiculous proportional delegate system) and to those who discounted and tried to discredit the most qualified candidiate (the first woman who could have been president). Shame on the Democratic Party.

May 7, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  12. Jodie, Idaho

How different would this be if Hillary was ahead and Obama was in her place? Understand Hillary supporters you might be mad now, but think what a vote for McCain means. It means a continuation of the REPUBLICAN

May 7, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  13. David D Kollie

On the field of play, the experience player keeps rolling the ball whereas the inexperience player struggle for the ball behind the experience player.
    This is totally opposite of the game that is going on between Hillary and Obama. She is experienced but struggling behind the inexperience. LOL.
    This only raise a question what are superdelegates waiting for to put an end to this game?

May 7, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. Chris W, AZ

They say that it ain't over until the fat lady sings...
    But I am getitng tired listening to the same old song; So can someone, PLEASE, hand Mrs Clinton a hearing-aid???

May 7, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. Bill

Lets see. First she signs an agreement not to count Mich. and Florida.
    She ends up behind, then she wants to count them. Not by a re-do, but just by those who voted. Then it is the pledged delegates. Nope, behind there to, so then it is the popular vote. Nope, behind there to. Now it is "If we had a set up like the Republicans do, I would win." Oh, appoint me because I say I am more electable and would make a better President. Lets not forget, only I can win the big states. That comment alone should make all of the rest of the states feel real good. She has come up with every way possible to win this, except where it counts. In the eyes of the voters. The results show it. She expects everyone to let her pick the way for her to win. Does that not tell you something about this person? Oh, just heard. Do you know how hard it is for a woman? Man, I get dizzy just hearing her change her mind on how she should win. I guess we should just throw out everything and just let her have it after she picks the way in which she wants to win. The heck with the rules and what the people have said. Face it, the Clintons just want the power and will do anything it takes to achieve it. The fact of the matter is that Obama has taken on Bill, Hillary, The Rev., and everything else that has been thrown at him, and he is still winning. Should tell you something. Nice speech last night. I am working for you, but please send me more of your ever shrinking dollars, so I can keep going. Not enough? I will put in more of my own. If she cannot run her campaign without running out of money, how can she be trusted to run the country? She has better judgement? If she does, why is she getting beat by a virtual unknown in popular vote, pledged delegates, and almost tied in super delegates and is behind in states won? I will use her own words here, " a win is a win".I don't think she did a good job of judging Obama. Don't even bring race into this. I am a typical, 57 year old white man. One who is not yet senile enough to fall for the Clinton's spin. The whole problem is the she expected to get into the White House on the Clinton name alone.

May 7, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  16. son of Rush

The Hillary democrats will leave the party in droves if Barak steals the nomination from her. One very good reason: The Radical left wing of the party has hijacked the Democratic party and driven it's conservative base to McCain.

obeemer will lose to McKane

May 7, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  17. mike concerned democrate

A previous Hillary supporter – no longer – question the whole party who allow this to erode and split the party – allowing personal motivations flying in the face of common sense to make all of democrates to look weak !!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  18. Alex

WOW! This is outrageous!!!!!! So CNN you are being hushed about Paul V Clinton, this is unbelievable. Well you can be sure I will be spreading this around blogs. I can't even find the words for this injustice. CNN you spend almost a month on Rev Wright, but you won't cover Paul V Clinton for a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought this was a relatively objective network, I was wrong and people will find out about this.

May 7, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Chad

"DON'T GIVE UP HILLARY, FIGHT ALL THE WAY WE KNOW
    WE CAN DO THIS. WE KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU
    ARE EXPERIENCED,STRONG AND THAT IS WHAT AMERICA
    NEEDS NOW. SO STAY STONG AND DON'T LISTEN TO THE
    GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB. WE KNOW HOW THE GOOD OLD
    BOYS WORK.

GO HILLARY'

I'm old enough to remember disputed conventions. She can't win, hon. If she somehow managed to GET the nomination now, we'll still lose. She doesn't CARE. THAT is what you have to step back and see.

May 7, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. JC

Hillary:
    No cause for alarm. I just have to add more blackness to Obama by tattooing Wright to his forehead, even though his mother, Dr. Ann Dunham was as white as I am. Oops, I forgot that Bill sought spiritual counseling from Rev. Wright when Monica occupied the air waves in the nation. Why things like this always happened to me?

May 7, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. allxdreamer

We love you Hillary! We are with you 100%.
    Hillary Clinton 2008!!!

May 7, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. Danny

Please post this:

Instead of looking at the FL situation as a political issue, take a more philosophical stance.

If the election in Florida was unfair, then the votes should not count. Our democracy was established to resist unfair elections just as much as it was to ensure there were elections.

Using John Rawls's "Veil of Ignorance," we can see that the election in Florida was unfair. If prior to the election, and prior to knowing anything about who would play what roles in the election, both Obama and Clinton had the opportunity to look at what would happen in FL (not knowing which of them would fulfill each roll), then they would have determined the election in Florida to be unfair.

I'm not going to write a detailed analysis of this here, but anyone who cares to spend 10 minutes researching the issue will agree with me.

The election in Florida was unfair. Therefore, it should not count. I say this as a Florida voter, although that is irrelevant.

May 7, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. Annamica, OH

We will win Hillary! And if Obama is the nominee we will run and we will win in 2012. I'm so proud of you.

It's time women stood up for their right!

May 7, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. Good Day

Its a great day in America. Clinton is done she can't win unless she get 86 percent of the rest of the delegates which we all know is impossible. So we finally get a non Clinton or Bush in the White House

May 7, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. gerald strother

Is is all over HIllary, I am beginning to not like you This is NOT about YOU have you no Shame ? do you not care anymore you have lost the game and you know it so why am i beginning to not like you do the right thing

May 7, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |