May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. mitchell from arkansaw

gender card? oh well,she will quit ,soon.

May 7, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  2. scott from LA

Keep going Hillary!!! I want a fighter in the white house not a man who reminds me of a minister. And as far as Indiana goes...how many points were you behind just a week ago before you WON the Indiana Primary? Obama said the night before "a win is a win." Oh I see, only if it's on his side right? Real presidential material he is...hope...change...hope...change....Rev. wright...hope....change..."for the first time in my life, I'm proud to be a American."...hope...change..."people in small towns like their guns and religion because of the economy"...hope...change. Oh one more thing...if he is the nominee I guess he will expect McCain to drop out too? What a fighter Obama is.

May 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. fred

the party is over. so save your face and be a good loser and get out

May 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  4. Brent

I will vote for McCain over Obama if Hillary doesnt get the nomination... McCain knows what he is talking about at least and has experience in for the position for which he is running. Obama made one silly speach and thinks he is qualified to make a presidential bid, and that is a joke...a joke to me....our country...and the people who have more experience than him. I am a hardcore liberal and have been forever but will not vote for an empty candidate. Its one thing talking about what youre going to do, but when he has to actually do it....who knows?

Every time Obama wins another state, people condemn Hillary, but whenever Hillary wins Pennsylvania, Ohio, or another HUGE state by a 10 point margin its "OH WELL, HILLARY WAS SUPPOSED TO WIN THERE, LETS MOVE ON"??? It doesnt seem fair....

May 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  5. tom

She's Crying to women Now.

May 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  6. LD

go home hillary

May 7, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  7. Linda, Kentucky

To IN voter: I agree completely. There are many women who are more qualified than Hillary Clinton. We can't support her only because she's a woman, and in fact that's degrading to women.

To Called Upon: I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the caller. Actually, I'm wondering if the call was legitimate because, as far as I know, Obama supporters don't calls asking for donations. The woman who called you sounded very unprofessional, whoever she was. That's not the Obama campaign style.

May 7, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  8. Ernesto Lopez

is OK that Hillary uses the gender card in her favor, but if Obama tries to use the race card he would get automatically destroyed.

"Oh look at me I'm a poor elitist woman lying manipulator rat , vote for me!"

May 7, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  9. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

Thank you Mrs. Clinton for informing me that I shoudl vote for you because you are a woman. Perhaps I should vote for Obama becuase he has worked hard as an African-American.... or McCain for being a senior.

I thought you were the one telling us that its not about race/gender. That its about "solutions". How is voting a woman for being a woman a solution to anything??

It sounds like discrimination to me and the same old idea of men promoting men, just in reverse. So its okay for women to do it, but not white men?

May 7, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  10. Voter

My hope is for McCain rather than the newbie Obama. I have one vote. Hillary would have had mine and if she is not on the ballot, McCain will have my vote. This is not tit for tat but this is because, I believe McCain would do a better job with the presidency than Obama would! Hillary would have been great but the African Americans seem to outnumber in the democratic party at this time and they have been voting color instead of for policy. Without them, Obama would never have come thus far.

May 7, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. Janice

Keep going Hillary! If you're still game I'll back you all the way–more money to come. We are electing a president, not a party. May the best candidate win!

May 7, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. Laura

I want her to continue!! Hillary Clinton is the person for me and the strength of this country. I am ashamed to call my self a democrat after the disloyalty this party has shown her. If Obama wins the nomination I will be voting for McCain and will change my party preference to independent. I can not vote or support a man who claims he has the experience and love to run this country when he can’t even manage to speak about or state what he really stands for. Nothing but complete and utter ignorance on his part and I for one do not trust him nor believe in him, despite what others are saying not all educated voters are voting for him. I am a proud and educated Latina who is choosing NOT to vote or support him.

May 7, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. Susan MO

Intelligent, experienced, for the people, and a fighter.

What we need for a president.

Hillary 08 :)

May 7, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  14. SLAPSTICK, FLORIDA

Wow, she says no cause for an alarm. I guess she won't be the one waking up at 3:00 AM in the morning to answer our calls after all.

May 7, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  15. Mag

Right now it doesn't look good for Hillary but she can pull this off.
    She should be commended. She is not quitting and this alone should tell everyone she is a fighter and she is exactly what our country needs. If by chance she doesn't win, come November my vote along with many others will vote republican.

May 7, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. SB

Hillary save face and stop. You said Bill didn't get the nomination until June, Honey you ain't Bill. Is that what this is all about? Besting Bill? You need therapy Girl Friend!

May 7, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  17. Ken

I totally agree with Mary (above), I too will write in Hillary's name as a write in candidate for President. I too will let the DNC what I think of the way they count the delegates.

ALL of those whining and wanting Hillary to drop out are still worried that she can still turn this around at the convention and become the nominee. Keep in mind that the "Super Delegates" can change their mind and vote for the one that they know can beat McCain in November. Hillary is the one that can do just that.

Obama still DOES NOT have the talent, skills, knowledge and experience to beat McCain. If it comes down to Obama verses McCain, the Democrats will NOT win the White House!

WAKE UP AMERICA! We ALL need to get behind Hillary and push her over the finish line. If we want our great country back, then we need Hillary Clinton to make it happen.

I DON"T want a "Rookie" or "Pied Piper" for a President.

May 7, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  18. ck

She talks as if we should elect her simply because she is a woman.

I guess she finally realized nobody is buying her nonsense that she is somehow experienced.

May 7, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  19. ABC

It is NOT for the people of America to decide the DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE!!! It is for the people of America to elect the President who MAY be the Democratic nominee. Its up to the Democratic party to chose their nominee however they see fit. Just because they have chosen a ridiculous system does not give the government or even the American public at large the right to change their choice, be it Obama or Clinton. WHY has this situation not prompted discussions of the possibility of actually viable third parties? If the Democrats are so divided let them split! The leadership might not want to loose half their bargining power (voters) but too bad for them. Then maybe we'd have 3 major political parties and the American public would understand that choosing the Democratic, Republican, etc party nominee is not their inalienable right!

The primaries are not the playoffs to determine the President. They are to determine the candidates for President. If you don't want to see your options for President limited like this push for more parties!

Regardless of who wins the Democratic nomination I DO NOT want to see any government involvement unless it is into voting fraud. The government helps with the mechanics of voting in the primaries. The need to keep their hands off otherwise. The general election is a different story.

May 7, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. keekouu

Keep going Hillary! I will be voting for her next Tuesday. Can't wait to see Bill in Philippi, WV tomorrow.

May 7, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  21. Ron

I am sick of your lies and twisted self proclaiming ideas. Go home Hillary

Go Obama / Edwards 08

May 7, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  22. To Sharon in Minn

Yes- great idea. Let's take away the votes of North Carolina and how about Georgia (since right by Florida). Of course, neither are swing states but what the heck. Lets also take away all the pledged delegtes and superdelegates from these states. Obama and his supporters would surely not mind since they are supporting the exclusion of two other states from the democratic process. Oh, and then lets block any revote too. That surely fits in line with Obama's tactics.
    I cannot believe that a democratic presidential candidiate would support the disenfranchisement of voters like Obama has done.

SEAT THE FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN DELEGATES!!

May 7, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  23. Pat in Florida

Keep Running Hillary!
    Run Hillary Run!!
    Run on the beach!
    Run on the sidewalk!
    Just Run!
    Run far, far away!

OBAMA 2008

May 7, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. Clinton is a LOSER

hey Sharon....North Carolina and Minnesota followed the rules!!!! just a thought.

May 7, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  25. allxdreamer

whoa Bill:

The rules are all votes are to be counted. That is not Hillary's rules nor Obama's. That is the American rights. Seems to be just fine for some of you that Florida and Michigan votes are not counted.

I bet if it were vise versa and Obama needed those Florida votes, he'd be crying and you know what, all he'd have to cry is "race" and every white politican in all states would break their necks to get this taken care of a.s.a p.

Don't try to belittle Hillary just because she is a woman. Those days are over with. She is tough and smart. She knows how to hold her own. Even with ppl like you.

May 7, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |