May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. KE

Who ever gets a nomination, how the nominee treats the other candidate and his or her constituency and Michigan and Florida will make big difference in the November election, especially because the party is split in two. Joint ticket still be a way to show consideration to their democrtic consituency (unless some complications exist), anyone telling one candidate now to get out will only amplify inside problem of the party and farther damages people's faith in the party.

May 7, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  2. kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama

Did you notice all of the comments in favor of Hillary are named
    Mary, Monique, Sharon, Roxy, Karen and a few of their husbands.
    Except for me, Kathleen. I do not like a liar. Never did. Never will.

May 7, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  3. marcelo

I truly believe that women can do anything and should be entitled to earn the highest office in our country. But I don't believe that because Hillary is the first viable woman candidate, that she is somehow auto-matically entitled to the position. Just as I don't believe the first viable bi-racial (non-white) candidate should be elected into office based on the color of their skin.

In both cases, voters using these motivations to elect an official are not living up to what their race/genders' pioneers intended. In fact, in their attempt to 'balance' out history, they are advocating the same injustices upon other people.

Martin Luther King said that he wanted his children to grow up in a world that would judge them by the quality of their character and not the color of their skin.

So people who are only voting for Obama because he's not-white, or voting for Clinton because she's a Clinton and a female or voting for McCain because he's a white man... please do us all a favor and don't vote.

I believe that when the dust has settled, there will be a time of reconciliation where both Obama and Clinton candidates need to come to terms with their own wounded prides and vote with thier brains. Both Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton would be excellent democratic candidates who align more with our core values than McCain. So for those of you who are vowing to vote for McCain to spite the other candidate, please do us a favor and use your brain.

May 7, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  4. Diane in Dallas, TX

Do all you die hard Hillary supporters, who think writing her name in on the ballot will somehow make her win, know how pathetic you are? You are certainly supporting the right candidate! You deserve another 4 years of the same old same old politics as usual. You are so naive! I will agree that Hillary is smart, she is certainly smart enough to know a bunch of fools when she sees them. Why can't you see that Hillary thinks you are too stupid to understand what she is truly all about? Wake up you fools!

May 7, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  5. JB Cal

Bill, I couldn't have said it better myself.

May 7, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  6. North Carolina for Clinton

I love you Hillary.

I will follow you if you want to run as an Independent.

I'm not voting for Obama – no matter what the calls for unity are.

I'll be writing your name in on my ballot in November if you aren't on it.

May 7, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  7. Kirk

Take Away Two Big States From Obama The delegates The Popular Vote He'd Be Way Behind !!!!

I'm From Michigan , Obama And his Campaign BLOCKED The Re-vote Here In Michigan . He Will Not Get My Vote . If He makes it To the General Election . I Feel The Democratic Party Has Given Us A Bad Choice If Obama Gets The Nomination , And I Will Vote For Sen. John McCain !!!!. I'd Rather Have 4 Years Of John McCain As President , Than 1 Day Of Obama !!!

Obama Has Pissed Off This Michigan Democrat !!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  8. I AM

This is Politics Clinton Style. The SHAME of it ALL: the world is watching a deposed former president with the help of his family and like-minded fellows conspire to alter the bedrock of what America has been selling the known world for ages – US Democracy.

The shame is that this country is not divided over Barak Obama being president. Simply put: the fact that it is taking two political parties, an ever-changing "goal post", an abundance of fallacies, and racial slurring to STEAL the nomination from front runner, Senator Obama. How unpatriotic can y'all get?

Tell me, how do you sleep at nights? Tell me how do you validate turning the entire world into chaos? Tell me how do you hate the 32nd part of Black blood so bad? Tell me, how do you maintain your world prominence position? Tell me how do you feel when you speak for the United States of America?

Sounds like you, not Obama, are a people full of hate venum!
    Forbid it Lord that America should boast and continue to flaunt its sins without shame before the entire world!

Obama's rise to be the contender for the DNC presidential nominee has become the event second to Jesus Christ's ordeal. Now you tell me: Does he have to lose his life for y'all to be esteemed legal in your own eyes?

OBAMA in 2008!

May 7, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  9. goldenstate

If Hillary's supporters don't feel she was treated fairly, watch what happens in November.

May 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  10. allxdreamer

Sounds like Ross is a little as Obama calls it "bitter".
    Don't play that line just because she is a woman bit. It is just as unfair for you to speak about Hillary in a sexist way as it is for Obama to cry race all the time. What's the matter Ross? You'd rather take orders from a black man, or a senior citizen, than a woman?

May 7, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  11. Belle

This is the best Ms. Wellsley-Yale can do??? What has she ever done in her life besides marry Uncle Fuzzy and hook up with the Yuk Yuk Heads? Now how is she-he going to win? Cook up sympathy at a funeral? Have Billy get friendly with a few delegates (male, female, doesn't matter)? He'll do it but it won't be for her but for himself. Hope you're happy Hill.

May 7, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  12. Mauri

All you whiners out there who continue to call Hillary all the horrible names, don't worry. Hillary doesn't want you on her side anyway. As a supporter of hers, I know I wouldn't. As for Senator Obama, I'm sure he'll find you and make you a member of his cabinet.

May 7, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  13. sunil7

I take Rush's opinion seriously on this issue of who is the weakest candidate. After all, who is a bigger expert on weakness than Mr. Oxy Addict himself.

In all seriousness: unless you are very stupid, you realize he is now saying he prefers Obama so that Hillary might be able to make the race go on longer.

May 7, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. JImi

Hillary, we all want a fighter in the Whitehouse. The only thing is we want a fighter that is winning. Not one that is broken and beaten and patching their wounds with loans. Obama is a fighter, too. And he is a fighter that is WINNING! We want WINNERS in the Whitehouse. No more LOSERS. We've been losing for the past 8 years and it's time for America to WIN!!!
    OBAMA '08 . . . THE LOGICAL CHOICE.

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  15. marie

Well remember peter paul and clinton.. november 08 gogle it

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  16. kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama

NO cause for Alarm, Hillary! THE ALARM WENT OFF LAST NIGHT.

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. Elaine, HK

Looks like Hillary is playing the gender card now. First, the Clintons played the race card and now at the brink of game over, she flashes her gender card. Soon her tears will be rolling down her cheeks.
    Is this the strong candidiate she branded herself?? Are you going to throw your gender card in front of the international world if they do not go your way if you are the President of US?
    Ever if you have the Florida and Michigan votes, you are still behind the delegate counts. Where is your sportsmanship? Bowed out gracefully and unite your supporters behind your Democratic Party.

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. Geri

If I was Obama I would give a speech to his supporters. They are the nastiest bloggers I have ever seen. I live in Iowa and to this day I still hear that at the caucuses the Obama supporters were rude and making trouble. One town called the DNC to find out how they were to handle them. I'm still undecided but I probably won't vote if he is the nominee. Actually this whole campaign with McCain, Clinton, & Obama is the worst selection of candidates we have ever had. I never thought I"d see the day when I would be so sick of politics. We need to go to one primary date instead of having it go on for this long.

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  19. carmen collins-foran

I used to like Hillary Clinton a lot. Now I feel that perhaps all those who disliked her and President Clinton during their scandal-filled years in the White House were right all along.I am so very disappointed in her. Perhaps she can redeem herself by acting as a woman of dignity and gracefully exit the race.

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  20. mitchell from arkansaw

well i'm slightly alarmed.if she's going to loan her campaign more money ,then i guess i'll just go donate for the third time to obama's campaign.if she can try and buy the white house ,so can we.i would just rather wait,and help obama in the ge,but ,if it means driving this thing home, then what's another $25?

May 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  21. Be fair

My vote is for Hillary or McCain.

Never Obama.

Obama supporters, please watch your words before posting your comment.

May 7, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  22. Kay-Arizona

Wonder what those that support Obama so verbally here, would do if they lived in Florida or Michigan? They have as much right to participate in the election process as any of us do and would but for the manipulation attempts by the DNC. Why shouldn't states be allowed to hold their primary elections when its convenient for them? Think about it folks. Just who is right here, the voters or the power bosses?

May 7, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  23. Anthony

She is so desperate and does not see the shame in her actions. She disgracing herself and the clinton name.

May 7, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  24. Forrest Gump

How selfish. People do not want you to drop out because you are woman. They want you out because you can win democratically and legitimately.

After June, how is she going to Florida and Michigan and say "she didn't mean to blame Obama" for not having a revote!

It was so irresponsible of her to try to lay the blame on Obama.

Because now we see why the DNC and Obama were not in rush to have revote. Even if you include FL/MI or had a revote, it makes no difference! Obama still leads her in delegates and popular vote.

Now, Hillary says she needs to continue in the race because she is a WOMAN? Guess what Hillary, the world does not revolve around you. Eight years from now there will be another viable woman candidate, and her name is not Chelsea.

The election is about the people – not your ambition and legacy. You don't make your own legacy because others do.

Give it up!

May 7, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  25. Kori

to kathleen, retired Professional woman for Obama:

gee, kathleen, let's all bow down.

May 7, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |