May 7th, 2008

Clinton: No cause for alarm

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton called for calm Wednesday evening following a narrow win in Indiana and a significant loss in North Carolina that increased Barack Obama’s delegate lead and raised questions about whether Clinton should drop out.

“There is no cause for alarm, sometimes you got to calm people down a little bit,” Clinton told thousands of cheering female supporters at a fundraiser in Washington called ‘Generations of Women for Hillary.’

“I understand that some people are getting a little nervous, and I have to say that there really is no cause for nervousness, because we will have a unified Democratic Party,” she said. “I will work my heart out for the nominee of our party and I believe that Sen. Obama will work as hard as he can for the nominee of our party.”

Clinton added that the differences between her and Obama are minimal compared to Democrats’ differences with McCain.

Flanked onstage by daughter Chelsea and mother Dorothy Rodham, Clinton told the crowd that too many people have fought to make history by nominating a woman to give up.

“Do you know difficult it is for women to stand up and say we are the best at anything?” Clinton asked. “The Democratic Party has to know that women are the core, women have to be at the table and women are going to be heard as we continue in these contests until they finally end.”

Clinton said earlier in the day at a rally in West Virginia – the next state to hold a primary contest – that the number of delegates needed to win the nomination is actually 2,209 – not the 2,025 the Democratic Party requires. At the fundraiser, she insisted that Florida and Michigan’s votes be counted, calling it a civil rights issue.

“I will be sending a letter to Sen. Obama and to Chairman [Howard] Dean expressing my strong belief that this issue about the voters in Florida and Michigan is a civil rights issue,” said Clinton. “We need to stand up and say the Democratic Party is smart enough to figure how to be sure we don’t disenfranchise two states we have to win when it comes to the November election.”

Clinton closed by reminding the crowd she’s been counted out before, only to win.

“I landed in New Hampshire on Thursday night down nine points and I won Tuesday. You can turn elections in a day, you can turn them in a week if you know what it takes to actually win,” said Clinton.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Oliver Cromwell

YOU HAVE BEEN SAT TO LONG HERE FOR ANY GOOD YOU HAVE BEEN DOING. DEPART, I SAY, AND LET US HAVE DONE WITH YOU. IN THE NAME OF GOD, GO!.

May 7, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  2. Alice

I just want o say two things.

First, in response to "Called Upon" - who received a rude call from an Obama volunteer - I have received both polite calls and rude calls from both the Hillary and Obama campaigns. These are unpaid, barely trained volunteers, not candidates. You should not impute their flaws to the candidates they represent.

Second, in response to those of you who love Hillary's "refusal to give up" despite great odds, may I remind you that conservative Republicans feel the same way about George W Bush. In Bush's case, you probably call it stubbornness and/or denial.

May 7, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  3. eyeroll

What we need in the white house is more cucqueaned girl power!

May 7, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  4. J Bailey

I am sorry to say that I will be voting Republican in the GE for the first time in my life. And it is obvious that we will have a Republican President again. I will never vote for Obama. The man is a liar and typical politician. He talks about change. I have no doubts that he has plans to change things but not for the good of the whole country, only for himself.

May 7, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  5. Alex From Georgia

We have to stop this lady. She already knows is mathematically impossible for her to win the nomination. She accepts in the last debate that Obama can beat Mcain. She doesn't have the money, and the superdelegates are starting to back Obama. She proclaims herself as a fighter.....jajaja......this is not a fighter, this is an addict. She just can't accept losing!.

Now, this is not about us anymore or the party, this is about her!!!.
    This is an obsession!. If she needs to declare herself in bankrupcy to continue with her obsession she will do it. Is like an alcoholic.....she just can't quit, and she doesn't care if she's risking us.

Is impossible for her to win and she keeps asking for more money. Now we have to finance her obsession!. I'm a psychologist, I know what I'm telling you. "OBSESSION".

May 7, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  6. Chris in NC

Billary Rodham Clinton: you are done!

No amount of math manipulation will allow you to side-step the facts that Obama is ahead in popular vote, total delgates and states won. MI and FL are not and will not be in the equation. The party leaders in those states broke the rules, and that is that.

Your argument that the DNC and the superdelegates should pull for you because, in your opinion, you would fare better in a national election - and ignore the will of the people - is the most selfish thing I've seen a politician pull in a long time and that's saying something!

You are not entitled to anything because of your (hyphenated) last name and it's time to face the facts.

May 7, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  7. LiLi King in OHIO

To Sharon – NC

We Hillary supporters are ladies with warming hearts and great minds perfectly combined. Shame on you to call us "non-thinking women". All my female friends who strongly support Hillary are brilliant and outstanding workers in the great companies and research institutes. They also are great mothers who are very responsible for their children and their communities.

What kind of lady you are?

We will support Hillary all the way. Hillary is the smartest choice for America.

May 7, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  8. Steven

Why so much hate on this thread? Have any of you actually met HIllary Clinton? She's not your mom, you know...

The popular vote is split, with 1% dividing Obama and Clinton. Remember how you felt when Gore was asked to "step down" and just let Bush win? The only way Obama can win the nomination right now is for HIllary to quit. It's a transparent argument.

May 7, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  9. TEXAN FOR THE NAKED TRUTH.

Then I guess we should vote of Obama cause he's an African-American. What idiots. He may wqin because C acuses are not primarys. They do not represent the majority of the people. As you dumb-butts will see come November. McCAIN will win the White House walking away laughing at the joke of the Democrats.

May 7, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  10. Grammie

First, I want Senator Clinton to continue since she is the very best candidate. She understands the American family and shares our values.
    Senator Obama is a selfish, self-centered man who political ambition far outweigh his abilities. He will say and do anything for this power trip. He should just go back to South Chicago and fulfill his promises to the people there that he made in the mid 90s. The changes he is talking about will make us a socialist nation. That is not what the signers of the Constitution wanted for our country. He prevented a new election in Michigan because he knew he would lose. McCain will win easliy over Obama, Voters know McCain loves his country.

May 7, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  11. Maxx

No cause for alarm? Hillary would go down in history as a great woman, great first lady, great senator if she endorsed Obama ASAP.
    Everyone knows it's all over. Save the Clinton name, the Democratic party, your place in history. Embrace Obama face the music...

May 7, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  12. Politically Speaking

This whole "girl power" movement is disgusting. I've seen so many clips on tv with a HIllary supporter mentioning her gender as their sole reason for supporting her. I'm glad Obama is above gender and race and not screaming "black power" while campaigning. Wait a minute. This is America. Saying vote for me because I'm a woman is perfectly acceptable, but any mention that Barack is black means he's playing his own race card. As if being black has ever been an advantage in America outside of affirmative action and racial profiling.

Myself being a black voter thoroughly researched Obama's positions. What I found is that they are very similar to Clinton's. Ultimately I chose Barack because of his conduct in this campaign. I must add....yes, his race also played a minor role. Why shouldn't it? In my black community where so many youth I see lack positive black male role models, why wouldn't I want to see a black president that would show the youth that yes, you can achieve if you can believe?

Love the double standards driven by the closet racists and biased media.

May 7, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  13. aware

It is all about who will be the best president in 2008. So, it will be Hillary Clinton 2008 and 2012 or John McCain 2008. :)

Obama is toast. He is a loser apart from the anointing of the far left media. America is centrist not far left like Barack and Michelle! By the way, beware of Michelle. She wears the pants in the Obama family.

Obama will never win in the general election. He has no credibility or judgment. He is just an obfuscating, dishonest and sneaky (thinks out loud behind closed doors in San Fran.) politician. Also, it took him 20 years to come out against the very consistent Jeremiah Wright. Of course, this was political expediency! :(

Is it all about race? No, only to black Americans who really want a (half) black president qualified or not. Is it all about gender? No, only to misogynists who want a male qualified or not.

May 7, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  14. Frank, MO

Leave !

May 7, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  15. cwa

This election is a sad commentary on us. You can't get 90% of anybody to agree on anything, but 90%++ black voters are voting for Obama. Well, they are voting for race pure and simple and that is a shame!

May 7, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  16. Boomer Jackson, Pennsylvania

Hillary – it is over. You are only in it for yourself now. It is for your ego, or for a little more time to try to get some additional donations to off-set the money you loaned to your campaign. You look desperate and pathetic in either case. Barack says he is in the race because he loves this country. C'mon Hillary – Be honest (oops, I do not think you are capable of that) – why are you still in it. We are tired of you now – go away. Shoot a gun, take another shot of whiskey, and then you might feel better. I guess perhaps Clinton's are not capable of a dignified exit.

May 7, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  17. Michigan Voter !!!

Kimberly

You Got That RIGHT !!!!

HILLARY 2008

May 7, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  18. Florida Voter

Get off the FL and MI nonsense already! Hillary can brain wash her supporters but she cannot brain wash the folks who knows the truth about those States!
    Hillary KNOWS the penalty for violating the RULES! Yes folks RULES you break them you pay! Its NOT Sen. Obama's doing rememer his name was NOT even on the Ballot in MI so please tell me Hillarious Supporters HOW in gods earth is THAT fair!!!! Now that Hillary is LOSING! She wants to re write the rules mid stream! GET OVER IT!!!!!
    ITS DONE!!! HILLARY IS TOAST!

May 7, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  19. Matt in Dallas

There she goes again moving the goalposts to fit her agenda. Hillary was fine with the stripping of delegates in Florida and Michigan back in 2007. Now that she needs those delegates to give her even the SMALLEST of chances to win the nomination, it suddenly becomes a 'Civil Rights Issue'. No lawsuits were filed at the time of the elections in January...only now that she is about to lose is she concerned about the 'civil rights' of the voters in Michigan and Florida.

Beware of this master manipulator Hillary supporters, she will change her position on ANYTHING if it means more votes.

May 7, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  20. Shirley

I thought a woman President would exhaust every avenue of diplomacy before sending our Sons to war. Hillary voted for the Iraq was and even as she claimed she was mistaken said she would 'obliterate' Iran. Hillary does not have the personal integrity that would encourage me to vote for a woman, she is a 'good ole boy' in a pants suit.

May 7, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  21. scott

Its amazing how the Obama people can be have any of you ever said 1 good thing about her. At least we admit he can make a good speach. might lack solutions but there good speechs. She should keep going on...........

May 7, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  22. Mike from Westchester

Kathy in KENTUCKY: Last time I checked, they don’t let black men with a middle name of Hussein into the “Old boys club”.

Called Upon: I have been volunteering for the Obama campaign for months and every time I have helped, it has been stressed not to disparage HRC, but to keep any conversations positive. Also, as far as I know, the Obama campaign raises funds through the internet, not via phone calls. I have to conclude you are lying.

Sharon in Minnesota: The Florida and Michigan results are not fair. Obama’s name was not on the Michigan ballot. Hillary’s was on because she did not HONOR her agreement. No campaigning in either state benefited the candidate with more name recognition, Hillary. The same comment does not become any more valid just because it is repeated over and over again.

All Obama supporters: Don’t worry, it will be all over soon, with the same outcome that was pretty obvious two months ago.

Oh, and to Karen G: Since I can’t vote with my skin, I guess I have to vote for Obama. I’M WHITE, as are most of the people who have voted for him!

May 7, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  23. Sharon Minnesota

I think that kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama sounds a bit like Rush Limbaugh don't you? Maybe it him in drag.

Hillary Clinton or John McCain 08

May 7, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  24. Politically Speaking

Kimberly May 7th, 2008 11:29 pm ET

I will not vote for Obama, neither will my mom, brother, two adult kids and husband. Everone I know feels the same way. I love Hillary BUT her endorsement for him will not change my mind. He can go back to Chicago with Rezko and Reverend Wright. Oh … he can have Sharpton & Jackson too!!!
    ----------------

Pretty much what I was talking about. Closet racists whose disdain for anything black oozes out with every word they type. Your attitude displayed through your post should offend America, not just blacks.

As much as I have lost respect for Clinton throughout this campaign, if she were the nominee, I'd hold my nose and vote for her.

Keep your vote, the positive movement does not want it.

May 7, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  25. Chidi

No cause for alarm? Hmmm, you want to pay back the money you lent to your campaign before she drops out? SELFISHNESS. YHRC don't care about the party but her ambition only.

May 7, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |