May 7th, 2008

More North Carolina superdelegates weigh in

Schuler is a first term Democrat.
Schuler is a first term Democrat.

(CNN) - Democratic Rep. Heath Shuler of North Carolina announced Wednesday that he is backing Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, CNN has confirmed.

Shuler, a former NFL quarterback, is a superdelegate. The first-term congressman represents the 11th district in the western part of the state

Shuler has said in the past that he would support whoever won his district in Tuesday's North Carolina primary. Clinton won the district by 13 points.

On Tuesday, as North Carolina voters weighed in at the polls, Barack Obama also gained one of the state’s superdelegates: Democratic National Committee member Jeanette Council announced her support for his White House run.

UPDATE: Wednesday afternoon, the Obama campaign confirmed Council's endorsement, and announced the support of two more superdelegates: North Carolina Democratic Party Chairman Jerry Meek, and California Democratic National Committee member Inola Henry.

Click here for full North Carolina results

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Mike - Texas

The Super delegates will decide this primary, which mean that NONE OF OUR VOTES COUNT!!!

Way to go Democrat party, that is the way NOT to be Democratic!!!

May 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. P Martin

Gary, you posted a comment that I felt I needed to respond to.....you seem to think Obama would be "an intern, inexperienced president "......um, have you been asleep the last 8 years? George Bush couldn't find his way out of a paper bag.......the big difference here, is that Obama actually has a brain.........with all due respect to others whose political views differ from mine, you, Gary, need to stop and think about how your unwillingness to back whomever the Democratic nominee is does nothing more than cater to the very divisive mindset Hillary is becoming known for. I would rather have someone like Obama as president, than someone like McCain who is nothing more than a little mini me for George Bush. Are you actually obtuse enough to think that having McCain in office is going to benefit this country? Wow, you need to wake up.

May 7, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Alex, Omaha NE

He wasn't that good of a QB. Apparently, he's not that wise of a politician, either.

May 7, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  4. Mar

WOW, that's the best news I heard all day. OK, now another and another and bye bye Nobama!

May 7, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. Tyler in Geneva

Here's a thought... Instead of flooding everyone with empty promises or, worst yet, promises never intended on being kept... Remind the record number of voters this cycle that no matter how sincere a canidate might be, they can't do anything without being able to work with congress and visa-versa...
    Dear Hillary, Barrack and John here's the challange for my vote...
    Pick an issue, any issue facing us today, right now. Healthcare, soaring gas costs, the economy, food prices, ect...
    Pick an issue and show us right now how great you are at working with congress to get things done... Fix it right now and you get my vote otherwise I'm gonna add you to my rather long list of polititians who know how to talk the talk but fall on their ***** – leaving us just one disaster away from total meltdown.
    I am not from Missouri but y'all gotta show me!

May 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. sharong58

Al Gore is keeping mum but I think he will go for Obama soon. In fact, he may even be on the ticket with Obama! Just an educated guess! He has said, so has Edwards, that they didn't want to do the VP thing again but I bet they could be pursuaded!
    Being a woman, I would love to see an Obama/Pelosi ticket. I admire that woman much more than I do Hillary Clinton, and think she'd make a great VP and probably attract a lot of women voters, who at present, are loyal to HRC.

May 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Monica

Please don't tell me the sympathy vote is going to happen again. Can we just wrap this up and focus on McCain???

May 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. Conor

The May 6 primaries did not surprise me at all. Indiana was supposed to be close and Obama was supposed to win big in North Carolina. A couple weeks ago North Carolina polls had Obama up 20-25%. Considering Clinton lost by 14% she did better than she was supposed to. The media is always letting Obama off the hook and always giving Clinton negative publicity. This race is not over, Clinton will win big in West Virginia and Kentucky(my home state). Dont forget Florida and Michigan should and WILL be counted. Your insane if your gonna tell me that Guam and the Virgin Islands, which dont even get to vote November, get more of an influence than Florida and Michigan which are two battleground states. Plus I thought that it has been a democratic moral to promate equality and fairness among all peoples. I'm 16 and I think I'm the only sane person left in this country.

May 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. TEO

First and last term. What happened to majority rules Heath.
    You're done.

May 7, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. Chicago's Own

He was a bum in the NFL and he's a bum now! HA HA. No just kidding. It's over for Hillary.

May 7, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. miles

"Awesome. Me thinks a few of the superdelegates may realize that Clinton is winning the swing voters ( you know, us moderate democrats that will vote Republican if we are forced to do so)."

get real, you are an oxymoron.

May 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Paulinus, Canada

An NFL player with no Brain. That will not save Hillary.

May 7, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. nicky1228

From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
    The Obama campaign annoucned three superdelegates - Jeanette Council (NC); Jerry Meek (NC) and Inola Henry (CA) - have pledged support. AP is reporting one more, a switch from Clinton in Virginia, Jennifer McClellan. (We're working to confirm that and will update.)

The Delegate Counts:
    PLEDGED: Obama 1,588-1,422
    SUPERDELEGATES: Clinton 273.5-259
    OVERALL: 1,847-1.695.5

* Obama is 178 from the Magic Number of 2,025.
    * There are 262.5 undeclared superdelegates, including about 50 who are not yet named and will be added on at state conventions or the like.

May 7, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Mario

Well he goes to church with Bill, but stand with the super power liars..

May 7, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. Keep Fighting Hillary

CNN journalists drool over Obama like groupies backstage at a concert and it's truly sickening. I am a lifelong democrat but if Obama is nominated he will not get my vote. Hillary can beat McCain so superdelegates need to wake up. Obama is a very intelligent man who will make a great vice president but he is not ready to be the president.
    -Whose on the Green Party Ticket?

May 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Steve in texas

Did you hear last night Campbell Brown made the remark that the Clinton voters would be expected to "hold their nose" and vote for Obama come the general election. How in the world can they allow someone to say that??

May 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Matthew

People criticizing Heath Shuler and saying he'll be voted out of office have no idea what they're talking about. Heath Shuler was specifically recruited as a moderate/conservative Democrat to run in a heavily conservative Republican district in 2006. Had he endorsed Obama, THAT would have been political suicide as Obama is even further to the left than Hillary Clinton is (or perceived to be).

Dems worked so hard in 2006 to regain the majority and were onyl able to do so by recruiting moderate and conservative Dems like Shuler to run in Republican strongholds. If we let the ultra-liberal wing of the party – Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi and now Barack Obama – run things without consideration for moderate Dems who ultimately have to answer to conservative constituencies, we'll be back in the minority in no time.

May 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. sharong58

I have an interesting question for Hillary voters . . . if, by chance, she was gracious? enough to accept being his VP, would you vote for Obama and her then?

May 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. Old man

I admire Shuler for keeping his word. NOW if HRC would keep hers and play by the rules that she agreed to.

Of course she may have been wounded by a sniper, and can't remember what she agreed to

May 7, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. mary cleveland, ohio

I have been wondering what the criteria for a superdelegate is.
    I mean, how are they elected to be superdelegates or are they appointed by someone or what?

May 7, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Bruce

This guy was not a good quarterback "...in 2004 ESPN rated him the 17th biggest 'sports flop' of the past 25 years". This proves that he's not a good politician either. Too many hits to the head I guess.

May 7, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. so ironic

He went with his congressional constituents, I can't fault him for that even though its hopeless for Hillary.

May 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. Just Words

"Why can't I just eat my Waffle?" – Oblahma said when answering the phone at 3AM! lol!!

THANK YOU Rep. Heath Shuler – You know a REAL winner when you see one!

Hillary on her way to the top of the mountain to shine like GOLD!!!

GOOOOOO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. WIll

I appreciate him keeping his word with his constituents. However, I question CNN in placing this as the headline instead of the four supers Obama picked up. Nor was there any report of Obama picking up a superdelegate earlier this week. Seemingly imbalanced reporting.

May 7, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. armyresvrob

He made a commitment to his constituent that he would support the candidate who won his district...that person was Clinton NOT Obama. I respect a person who stands by their word. Wouldn't it be great if more politicians did that?

May 7, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |