May 7th, 2008

Clinton supporter: Race causing 'negative dividends'

Sen. Feinstein joined Sen. Hillary Clinton on the campaign trail ahead of Super Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The drawn out race for the Democratic presidential nomination producing “negative dividends in terms of strife within the party,” says a key Capitol Hill supporter of Sen. Hillary Clinton’s White House bid.

A day after the Indiana and North Carolina primaries bolstered Sen. Barack Obama’s candidacy, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, said she wants to talk to Clinton to “see what her view is on the rest of the race. What the strategy is.”

Feinstein, who described herself as “very loyal” to Clinton, said “the question comes whether she can get the delegates that she needs and I’d like to know what the strategy is to do that.”

Feinstein predicted her party will unify in order to defeat presumptive Republican nominee John McCain. But she said there is “an emotional component in all of this. Just as I feel loyal to Sen. Clinton others feel loyal to Sen. Obama and we’re in the same party and it makes it very difficult. So I think we want to minimize that as much as we can.”

Feinstein said she called Clinton two days ago, but said she hasn’t heard back from the New York senator yet.

1. teresa c

I am inspired and encouragesd by her willingness to fight and continue for what she and I believe in and no matter the amount of negative the Media loves to give her... She is a strong willful woman and last I checked, we need strength, encouragment, and a fighter in the office. Hello we are not playing monopoly here there is an outside world that would truly love to see us fail. I find most Americans have no clue of what Really goes on outside these beautiful American walls that protect us all, and need to open their eyes wide...
    I stand with Hillary so suck that in

May 7, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. Big O

It was over the day the Godless Oprah gave her support to Bar-ack. Now I can, for the first time in my life, vote for a Republican. No need for hanging chads in Florida this time. It will be a landslide! After all Howard "The screamer" said the Democrats do not want our vote. My first vote was for LBJ and have voted Democrat in every election until now. The streak is over!

May 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. The Truth

UNITED WE STAND>>DIVIDED WE FALL!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Christines

We have to question Obama's judgment when it comes to his friends like Wright, Rezko, cousin Odinga, Frrakahn, Bill Ayres, Larry Sinclair, etc.

May 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Frank

There will be a split in the Party. The only way to avoid the split is to re-run the Primaries in Michigan and Florida straight from scratch.

One of the reasons why I have a great difficulty in supporting Obama if Clinton loses the nomination is that I believe Obama is avoiding the very issue that is splitting the Democratic Party.

The candidates are not the main issue when it comes to Michigan and Florida, the issue is that America is a democracy where all its citizens have a right to vote. If anyone is against this principle of democracy then I cannot vote for that person. Obama has vetoed this solution.

If Obama wins the nomination with the majority of delegates from all its 50 states included plus the other territories then so be it. If Clinton wins then that is also OK. BUT all delegates must in the count.

May 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |