May 7th, 2008

Clinton supporter: Race causing 'negative dividends'

Sen. Feinstein joined Sen. Hillary Clinton on the campaign trail ahead of Super Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The drawn out race for the Democratic presidential nomination producing “negative dividends in terms of strife within the party,” says a key Capitol Hill supporter of Sen. Hillary Clinton’s White House bid.

A day after the Indiana and North Carolina primaries bolstered Sen. Barack Obama’s candidacy, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, said she wants to talk to Clinton to “see what her view is on the rest of the race. What the strategy is.”

Feinstein, who described herself as “very loyal” to Clinton, said “the question comes whether she can get the delegates that she needs and I’d like to know what the strategy is to do that.”

Feinstein predicted her party will unify in order to defeat presumptive Republican nominee John McCain. But she said there is “an emotional component in all of this. Just as I feel loyal to Sen. Clinton others feel loyal to Sen. Obama and we’re in the same party and it makes it very difficult. So I think we want to minimize that as much as we can.”

Feinstein said she called Clinton two days ago, but said she hasn’t heard back from the New York senator yet.

1. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Clinton supporter: Race causing "negative dividends"

Do you think Hillary Clinton cares about race or the good of the party. Her and Bill well throw lack People under the bus if it gets them elected. They will search and destroy who ever is in there way.

May 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  2. Patty

Watch Glen Beck tonight at 7 and check out what Michelle said about America the other night during an interview.

May 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  3. OBAMA 08

I can't wait to vote for Barack!

His speeches are really nice and the non-stop rhetoric about hope and change really motivates me.

Who cares if there is absolutely no substance to anything he says. This country needs a motivational speaker, not a skilled and experienced leader.

And besides...his three years as a member of the Senate Foreign Relations committee clearly qualifies him to be the next Commander in Chief.

I think an immediate withdrawal from Iraq and the beginning of negotiations with Hamas and Iran is the right thing to do. The terrorists are people too...they can be reasoned with. Diplomacy always works with these people. I bet if we are nice to them they will just leave us alone :)

I "HOPE"?

May 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. Kela

Duh... this "democratic" country is still affected by race and gender bias? you don’t say. I for one know the Clinton supporters will not support Obama because he is Black. I know this because they are essentially identical on issues stances. They say don’t "like" him personally but yet have never even MET him. Its called Contempt Prior to Investigation. Prove me wrong IF you can

CNN is so biased – why do you insist on entertaining this delusional woman.

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. Vanessa

If the situation was reversed and Clinton was leading in delegates and popular vote, Barack would be history. It is most likely he would have been history after Super Tuesday–cooling his heels waiting for a veep offer. Sen. Clinton soldiering on is divisive to the Democratic Party and rather narcissistic considering what's at stake. The American people can not suffer even four more years of a faltering economy and this costly misadventure in Iraq. It's time for Clinton to stand up and do the right thing!! Concede and bring her supporters into the fold for Obama, which is crucial to the party.

I can't believe I'm saying it but:

Obama/Clinton '08

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  6. Nattie Karma

oooooops!!!
    Clinton has a problem with Black voters!!!! She cannot win without the black vote!!!!!!!!!! Pride is the greatest of all evil. Bow out madam
    Obama 08

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Veterans For Obama

Why do I feel like we're watching the Brittney Spears meltdown again?

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. Susan MO

We want Hillary Clinton to stay in the race.

She is experienced, for the people and a fighter.

She is a very strong person.

That's what we need for our president!!

Hillary 08 :)

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Victor, NJ

IT OVER!!!!!!!! It time for her to bow out with dignity and encourage her followers to support Obama in the fall. And to all Clinton supporters that claim to be democrats and vow to vote for McCain in the general election, STOP BEING STUPID!!!! Obama and Clinton agree on must of the issues compared to McCain.

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Dave in Atlanta

If Hillary's female superdelegates start to question her staying in the race, it could become a very serious problem. Hillary needs to think about that.

May 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Ca Native

What's the big deal, Diane?? There's 30 days left in the primary contests. Let the people vote. Unifying will happen at the convention.

Besides – I think the democrats may want to allow the Rezko Trial and Obama's ties with terrorist William Ayers to be properly vetted before "sealing the deal" with Obama.

12. Veteran in Kansas

Why quit, what negative dividends. Any negativism that is there is there and quiting the race would not change a thing.

I would like to point out that neither canidate has enough votes to be selected as the Democratic canidate. The canidate is not selected until that happans. I would also like to point out, that regardless as to how many votes a canidate receives, they are not official until cast at the convention, nor are the delegates required to cast pleged votes past the first ballot, if one can even claim they are required to cast them in the first round.

If neither canidate goes into the convention without the required number of votes or the required number of votes are not cast for a canidate in the first round of voting at the convention, well then, all bets are off and its a open convention, just like the good old days, cigar smoke and back room political dealing.

Hang on to your socking caps this rollercoaster ride is not over until it's over.

13. Venus

Hillary needs to grow up and be a lady!

This proves she doesn't care about anyone but herself!

Hillary doesn't have a strategy if it means Obama is the winner!

How sad to see a rookie beat the Clintons at their own games!

Hillary should have fired a lot a people a long time ago!

As soon as Obama won 3-states – some one in her camp should have said -- what's going on?

I refuse to feel sorry for her! She was too nasty and mean to Obama and I HOPE Obama do not put her on his ticket for NP!

Let's pack this up Hillary!

Go Obama!

14. june

No kidding! At this point she raising more negative dividends than Campaign fund...not a good sign. Hillary keeps telliing us that she is the more electable candidate, but the states won, delegates garnered and fundraising don't show that. Makes one wonder about her grip on reality!

15. Ron, TX

Well now that this story is out, Clinton will NEVER call back this supporter... Hillary will instead compile a list of Feinstein's negatives and circulate it among her Republican opponents.

16. Minnesota for Barack

Why would she call you back now. She won California and you are forgotten until the next election. That's the Clintonian way of politics.

17. Laura

I want her to continue!! Hillary Clinton is the person for me and the strength of this country. I am ashamed to call my self a democrat after the disloyalty this party has shown her. If Obama wins the nomination I will be voting for McCain and will change my party preference to independent. I can not vote or support a man who claims he has the experience and love to run this country when he can’t even manage to speak about or state what he really stands for. Nothing but complete and utter ignorance on his part and I for one do not trust him nor believe in him, despite what others are saying not all educated voters are voting for him. I am a proud and educated Latina who is choosing NOT to vote or support him.

18. The truth

Let face the truth here, Hillary owes a lot of people that deal under the table, the Saudi's, the lobbiest, so she can't quite. Not only that, her pride is hurt because she took it for granite that Obama could not beat the Clinton clan.

Go OBAMA!!!

19. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

She really wants Obama to be killed so she can step in and take over. This woman has issues that needs to be taken care of before it is to late.

20. Chut Pata

The fight would go on. The idea is not to win but to make Obama lose the elections against McCain so she may have a shot in 2012. I Obama wins against McCain, then Hillary will have to wait till 2016 and she will be 68 by then.

Maybe Clinton should switch parties like Joe Loserman and ask McCain to choose her as her running mate.

21. Independent

....and the switch begins....

22. Jay - democrat from Chicago, IL

I hope Feinstein realizes that having a conversation with a crazy lady like clinton won't do anything. Billary is here to stay and they are only looking out for themselves. I can't believe the good americans who keeps supporting her in Indiana, NC, West Virginia, and Kentucky don't see how damaging of a person Hillary is. Her message is simple, "win at all costs".

It is mind boggling to me that fellow democrats won't just stand up and say "enough is enough". I will vote for Obama for the good of our party and the good of our country so that Mccain is not able to carry out a 3rd bush term.

Everyone knows it. It is ridiculous for clinton to stay in the race.

Please super delegates, I beg of you. End this nomination fight now.

23. Media Blackout May 15th

Has The Gimmick candidate announced she and Bill will travel to Iraq to suck up the oil, store it in their cheeks to get through Customs to help save the American people .0005 cents yet?

Hillary Clinton, The Gimmick Candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything ‘08

24. NoMoreBillorHillaryClintonInWhiteHouse

Her is a woman with a common sense good for you Sen. Feinstein. You candiate Hillary Clinton has a ego bigger than her self she is a selfish woman he attiitude is if I can not win it no body will she feels she is entitled to the presidency I hope you to talk to her some sencse that is if she can listen as of today she is playing deaf.

25. mmonast

please end this election and democrats unite

she is hurting this party her own supporters dont believe in her anymore

May 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |