May 7th, 2008

Clinton vows to continue, presses new math

ALT TEXT

Clinton said Wednesday her campaign goes on. (AP Photo)

SHEPHERDSTOWN, West Virginia (CNN) - There may be new pressure on her to concede defeat in her quest for the White House, but Hillary Clinton had a familiar message Wednesday for Democrats calling on her to end her presidential bid: “I’m staying in this race until we have a nominee.”

Clinton told reporters she was not swayed by new exit polls that suggest the bitter primary battle may be dividing the party. “I just don’t believe that. I think we’ve had a historic record turnout by both of us bringing people into the Democratic Party,” said Clinton.

She stressed her continuing quest to make sure full delegations from Florida and Michigan were represented at the Democratic convention this summer. The party’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is meeting later this month to try to resolve the dilemma – but Clinton made it clear Wednesday that she didn’t think any ruling from that panel was necessarily the last word.

“Under the rules of the Democratic Party, the Rules and Bylaws Committee makes the first determination,” she said. “And if people are not satisfied with that, then people go to the credentials committee, so we’ll see what the outcome is.”

Asked if she would drop out once Obama reaches the 2,210-delegate mark, Clinton responded: “Well, I’m glad you used the figure 2,210, because I think that’s the right figure because that includes the seating of delegates from Michigan and Florida, something that I have said consistently… for months now, has to be resolved.

“….So 2,209 or 10 is the number, and at some point one of us will get there.”

1. Louis

TO ALL CLINTON SUPPORTERS: Please explain how you can possibly support a candidate who publicly and formally agreed with the DNC ruling that Michigan and Florida would not count and now demands they be counted. Clinton did not campaign in either state because she knew they would not count. Do all Clinton supporters believe in blatant hypocrisy? I await your response and it better be good.

May 7, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. The Dude

Even if the number becomes 2209, Hillary is still behind in states won, pleged delegates, and the popular vote... Even if you seat FL and MI. Sure, make that the number, but that just makes it that much harder for Hillary.

I honestly think they are going to keep this up until June, because overall this campaign will have a positive affect on Democrat turnout in the fall... Think about it, Clinton and Obama get all the press, and get to campaign in every state. I bet in November we will see a lot of these so-called "red states" turn blue.

Democrats Unite '08!

May 7, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. Adam - TX

Thank you Hillary. The black vote will not carry the dems in November. Barack Obama is a sure loss to John McCain.

May 7, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  4. HillarySkank on myspace

It is obvious to me that Clinton has the same problem that Bush does. They both failed to map out an exit strategy before jumping into a war.

May 7, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  5. HH

GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!! It is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. Eddie

Everytime I turn around,I realize this lady and the people that support her are crazy.Is America going to allow this woman to change things to get what she wants.She says she is one of us,how many of you can go to your job and change rules that were in place before you got there just to make things easier for yourself,Crazy!!!!!

May 7, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. Jason

Yes, "ignore those pesky polls about how I'm dividing the party, but pay close attention to the ones that say I'm more electable against John McCain." Sounds a lot like "count Michigan and Florida because every voter's voice should be heard, but the superdelegates should feel free to overrule them all in my favor if I'm behind." The double-speak comes like a flood from this one...

May 7, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  8. bigben

Why she is staying in . Because she hate obama just like most of her supporters do. He has no record of anything.

May 7, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. David, Santa Rosa, CA

What a selfish weasel. I had actually been feeling sorry for her today. I thought for sure she would see the writing and do the right thing allowing super-delegates off the hook. Supers... go to it. Take this woman out of the race. She is obviously more interested in herself than in uniting the party (once again, contrary to what she says).

What a shame it ends like this.

May 7, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Alston

err...Hillary 2025 is the no. but dont let facts get in the way of your version of the truth.

The Florida and Michigan delegates will be split 50-50 bet. the 2 making absolutely no difference to the math.

May 7, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. Drop Out Hillary

Hillary its over have some self respect. Tell your supporters to get united with the democratic party at least at the end you would be doing something good for America .

May 7, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. shannonL

Well Dems...it is up to you. You have to give Obama the delegates or she will keep going. Can't blame her, why quit in the middle of the game?

If you want her out...get out the vote in the remaining states and call your superdelegates.

May 7, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. basanti, New York

I AGREE and I hope that Hillary is the nominee. She would have been if only these media loons were not so afraid to vet barak on time.

May 7, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. MP-Pennsylvania

Hillary is like some math teachers

Does not know what she is talking

she neds 60% of all remaining states

70% of super delegates

Even michigan and Florida seated allocating against her votes for obama, She cannot over take.

May 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. kathy in ohio

anyone know of any websites to boycott obama I am a big hillary supporter, female, white, catholic, blue colar, uneducated, clinging to my guns and religion. Anyone else upset about the pressure for hillary to leave the race. I am one of those that will vote for McCain only to cancel an Obama vote. I think we need a website so the democratic party realizes how serious we are.

May 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  16. Ada

Hillary Clinton has no shame.

May 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. Zack

Moving the goalposts again, as usual...

May 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. jj

Clinton makes me want to vomit.

May 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  19. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

I'm a huge Hillary Supporter, I do not subscribe to the idea that she needs to quit yet, she has a message and it is a message of hope and optimism, a message that has resonated with over 16 million Americans. Perhaps Sen. Obama has all but won the nomination, but she needs to be heard and a lot of people want to hear from her. So perhaps her strategy will be more conciliatory, she has invested so much for such a historic race I believe she has earn the right to run. I find it shameful of all the people in this blog that are just full of hate. I have never said anything derrogatory towards Sen. obama, but some people here forget what an achievement this woman has made in American politics, the also forget she is a patriot and she is a powerful senator in her own right. So fight on Hillary, continue to rise, I'm writing another $100.00 to you.

May 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  20. deb

That's right Hillary you stay in this race.

May 7, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  21. JohnnyU, WA State

More free CNN air time for Hillary.

May 7, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  22. MP-Pennsylvania

Bill make the presidency laughing stock in the white house

Hillary is making presidency laughing stock in the campaign

May 7, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Mike

It is sickening to me to witness how Senator Clinton is being bashed by so many hate-mongers!

How many skeletons do the ones who are spreading the hate have in your closets.

How many of you are overweight, divorced, depressed...etc, with nothing better to do than to degrade Senator Clinton (I know, you will now state that she did this to herself.) Work on your own issues.

It will be YOU who destroys your party, let Senator Clinton do "her thing," and YOU worry about what YOU can control, which is to try and unite your party.

Put your bon bons down, find a hobby, go for a walk, unite with friends, though give Senator Clinton a rest already.

Now if you will excuse me, I have patients to see, my dinner break is over.

Have a nice evening...

May 7, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Seriously gross just ick

Correct me if I'm wrong. But wasnt the number 2025 before Florida and Michigan cheated? So rather than adding their delegates to the 2025 if they are seated, shouldnt we subtract their delegates from the 2025 if they are not seated? Like I said, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure it was 2025 from the get go.

May 7, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. mitchell from arkansaw

come home hillary!we have new schools here in arkansaw,where you can now learn real arithematic.

May 7, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |