May 7th, 2008

Clinton vows to continue, presses new math

ALT TEXT

Clinton said Wednesday her campaign goes on. (AP Photo)

SHEPHERDSTOWN, West Virginia (CNN) - There may be new pressure on her to concede defeat in her quest for the White House, but Hillary Clinton had a familiar message Wednesday for Democrats calling on her to end her presidential bid: “I’m staying in this race until we have a nominee.”

Clinton told reporters she was not swayed by new exit polls that suggest the bitter primary battle may be dividing the party. “I just don’t believe that. I think we’ve had a historic record turnout by both of us bringing people into the Democratic Party,” said Clinton.

She stressed her continuing quest to make sure full delegations from Florida and Michigan were represented at the Democratic convention this summer. The party’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is meeting later this month to try to resolve the dilemma – but Clinton made it clear Wednesday that she didn’t think any ruling from that panel was necessarily the last word.

“Under the rules of the Democratic Party, the Rules and Bylaws Committee makes the first determination,” she said. “And if people are not satisfied with that, then people go to the credentials committee, so we’ll see what the outcome is.”

Asked if she would drop out once Obama reaches the 2,210-delegate mark, Clinton responded: “Well, I’m glad you used the figure 2,210, because I think that’s the right figure because that includes the seating of delegates from Michigan and Florida, something that I have said consistently… for months now, has to be resolved.

“….So 2,209 or 10 is the number, and at some point one of us will get there.”

1. Rosita

Where have all the leaders gone?

President McCain or President Obama neither has the right stuff to make a leader.

Sen Hillary Clinton is Americas last warrior and champion for true democracy. Thanks to President Bill Clinton and Sen Hillary Clinton for their tireless devovtion around the world that we ALL enjoyed a brief moment of world unity and tranquillity.God save America and the Clintons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Howard

Even though my family and friends are all democrats, if Obama gets the nomination, we are all voting for McCain in November.
    McCain '08

May 7, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. RIK

Isn't it quite amazing how when the numbers are not on your side you want to change the rules in the middle of the race. Shame on you Hillary. You really will do anything and say anything to win.

This is why I voted for Obama.

Obama 08.

May 7, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  4. Michael

Oh god Hillary, just quit speaking.

The number is 2,025. Not 2,000 or 2,005 or 2,010. It's 2,025 and not a digit more or less.

You lost Hillary, Admit it. Even if you somehow stole the election I'd never vote for you and McCain would beat you anyway.

Obama 2008

May 7, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. Mr. Higs

2025... no wait 2209.... er, 2210.... what next? Keep changing the rules Billary, Obama will keep beating you anyway.

May 7, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. clara

we here in ky. hopes and pray hillary won't quit we want her .

May 7, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. M Philllips

Senator Clinton is better at bending the rules than any candidate I can recall. It is no surprise that she has developed new math to go along with her other very flexible political positions.

May 7, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  8. Nico

Yes, now she is consistent on that number, of course that is after she was inconsistent on it. She didn't want the delegations to be seated until she wanted them to be seated. I hope lexicographers put that definition of 'consistent' into the dictionary.

May 7, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Ardnuas

Hillary's attitude from day one was....
    I DON'T need to win the small states
    I DON'T need the votes from FL or MI
    I DON'T need 20 dollars from poor people who want to give to me, I ONLY want rich people to give to me... NOW you have LOST, so please quit now.... you have the WORST judgment!!!!
    Obama/Edwards08

May 7, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  10. Doug in Ontario Canada

By hook or by crook and a little help from CNN and making up new rules as she goes along Hillary will win.
    She always talks about Obama not being a closer, yet he has more delegates, let's see why she can't close.

May 7, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Ostriches burying our heads in the sand

Wow! Crazy lady!

I know we Dems should start uniting for the general! But it is really frustrating to see her constantly push back the goalpost...When is she going to wake up and smell the coffee????

May 7, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. silence do good

Keep fighting Hillary. Do not let Obama get away with blocking the revote. Anything goes in the Obama camp and they apparently believe if it helps saint Obama, it is OK. I suppose the Ozombies will now come up with a YouTube video showing that the map always had 48 states. And you would be racist to suggest there were 50.

The Cult can change the rules. Just drink your kool-aide.......

May 7, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Jen B.

How many times is this desperate women gonna try change the rules. Rules that were acceptable to her until she started losing.

May 7, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Umm

Just . . . wow. Really? Wow.

May 7, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. EBC

I'm starting to believe that the WHOLE Clinton family just doesn't KNOW when to call it quits. I really do. I mean the audacity to think that Indiana was a WIN when once AGAIN she was predicted to win by double-digits and she DID NOT. She did NOT win PA by double-digits and this has been proven over and over.

I've been trying to give Sen. Clinton the benefit of doubt, but she constantly destroys her own argument that she's MORE electable and the best candidate.

WHAT??

I failed to see HOW the second place runner can claim she is more electable when she's in SECOND PLACE and falling further behind in the polls and popular votes!!

I also fail to see how the SECOND PLACE runner can claim she's more qualified to beat Sen. McCain. That's totally absurd when you think my 3 year old grandson can beat Sen. McCain right NOW. Sen. McCain has NOT be vetted in any shape or form. So for Sen. Clinton and her goonies to make such an outlandish arguments just proves yet again her self-destructive mentality.

This whole "I'm in it all the way"... is nothing but a FARSE. When her money starts drying up, it will be interesting to see if Sen. Clinton continues to LOAN her campaign money when others stop sending in theirs. When the money dries up, WHOSE going to pay back her LOANS to the campaign? Is it going to be her supporters or the taxpayers??

Clinton Supporters are you sending YOUR hard earned donations to PAY for her loans? Why would Sen. Clinton LOAN and NOT DONATE her money to your own campaign. Why is it a LOAN if you claim you are committed?? I mean that doesn't make sense at all, it's a contradiction to everything she's claiming.

West Virginia is NOT going to change her second place role.

May 7, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. Mandy, California

She is dragging the goal poles back again!

May 7, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  17. Evan

She agreed to the rules in the beginning. If she was ahead then she would do the same thing that Obama's doing.

Another thing, I'm tired of all the Clintonites believing that CNN is totally against her and that there is a conspiracy against her. Guess what guys, she's losing.

May 7, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  18. Seth

UNITE THE PARTY!

Obama supporters: We CANNOT WIN WITHOUT HILLARY SUPPORTERS so stop with all the mud slinging and childish remarks. You are cutting off your nose to spite your face. Will you be happy to have McCain in office just so you can say that you really stuck it to Hillary? I hope not. If so, you are as bad as Clinton supporters who vote McCain.

Take the high road people.

May 7, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  19. Chris

When you agreed to not include MI and FL prior to any primaries, did you include their delegates? No, you wrote them off like every other candidate.

The number is 2,025 until the Rules committee and the candidates meet on May 31 to decide what to do with MI and FL.

You have only made this an issue for months now because your campaign was not ready on Day 1 for a serious competition for the nomination.

May 7, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***if you are a TRUE DEMOCRAT, then re-post this on every blog*****

Clinton Supporter——-> Do you appreciate the MEDIA calling you dumb Americans?!?!?

Obama Supporters——–> Do you appreciate the MEDIA calling you elitist snobs? and dumb young kids?

That is EXACTLY what they are doing with all this "titles" and exit polling categories.

THE MEDIA GETS MORE RATING WITH THIS IN-FIGHTING!!!!
    DO NOT LET THE MEDIA DIVIDE US WITH THESE TITLES……….AT THE END OF THE DAY, NO MATTER WHO WINS, WE CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER 4 YEARS OF BUSH 3RD…..LIKE CLINTON ALWAYS SAYS, OUR DIFFERENCE IN THIS PARTY PALES IN COMPARISON TO THE MCBUSH!!!

May 7, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  21. gerard morei

That's my future President!!!!
    Keep going Hillary, real democrats will stay with you until you became our president in November Elections.

May 7, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  22. Jo

Go Hillary! Stay in until the convention. If you do not receive the nomination, use your bargining power to get what you want on the Democratic platform. I am with you until the end - and I pray that end will be when you move back into the White House! Clinton 08

May 7, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  23. Len

Never give up Hillary, you can still steal the nomination. lol

McCain 08

May 7, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  24. George James

The problem with Clinton is denial.She would never understand that she already lost democratic primary.

May 7, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. Addis - observer

u can fool somebody once.. or twice... but it is not easy to go beyond that.

Seriously... this woman is sick!... Power monger! Shame on her!

May 7, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |