May 7th, 2008

Clinton vows to continue, presses new math

ALT TEXT

Clinton said Wednesday her campaign goes on. (AP Photo)

SHEPHERDSTOWN, West Virginia (CNN) - There may be new pressure on her to concede defeat in her quest for the White House, but Hillary Clinton had a familiar message Wednesday for Democrats calling on her to end her presidential bid: “I’m staying in this race until we have a nominee.”

Clinton told reporters she was not swayed by new exit polls that suggest the bitter primary battle may be dividing the party. “I just don’t believe that. I think we’ve had a historic record turnout by both of us bringing people into the Democratic Party,” said Clinton.

She stressed her continuing quest to make sure full delegations from Florida and Michigan were represented at the Democratic convention this summer. The party’s Rules and Bylaws Committee is meeting later this month to try to resolve the dilemma – but Clinton made it clear Wednesday that she didn’t think any ruling from that panel was necessarily the last word.

“Under the rules of the Democratic Party, the Rules and Bylaws Committee makes the first determination,” she said. “And if people are not satisfied with that, then people go to the credentials committee, so we’ll see what the outcome is.”

Asked if she would drop out once Obama reaches the 2,210-delegate mark, Clinton responded: “Well, I’m glad you used the figure 2,210, because I think that’s the right figure because that includes the seating of delegates from Michigan and Florida, something that I have said consistently… for months now, has to be resolved.

“….So 2,209 or 10 is the number, and at some point one of us will get there.”

1. A CANUCK

HILLARY CLINTON IS A LEGEND IN HER OWN MIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By not stepping down with dignity .......she is selfishly jeopardizing a Democratic win in the general election. What a narcissist !!!!

May 7, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. Independent

Next it will be when pigs fly, or the moon turns blue, or the north star is outh...they have tried so many ways to change the rules it is laughable!. If the roles were reversed, you can bet she would not give Florida or Michigan a second glance!!

May 7, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Beverly, NYC

Maybe if we all ignore her she will go away.

To Howard and all the other swho WILL VOTE McCain,if Hillary is not the nominee I hope you have draft age children to go to Iraq, Iran, & Afganistan. Then you will have sometime to worry about as I do daily for my brother.

May 7, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Mike

I keep reading the punk threats from the Hillary supporters to vote for McCain. I say good. Any racist Hitler youth that would rather vote for the old war monger who has no clue about the economy instead of a fine Black Man who will be the best Democrat president since Kennedy. Let those voters go. The Republicans deserve them.

May 7, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Mitchell, I'm offended you claim to be from Arkansas? at least learn how to spell it! this is the former first lady of the United States, she has earn the right to be respected. if you were a true Arkansan you will have a little more pride and if you were a true American you will show more respect. some people on this blog are nothing but thugs. I lived in Arkansas for 15 years, during the clinton years and these are good people, perhaps you are so ignorant and full of hate to see it and that is a shame, some of you claim to love Obama, how could you be serious, his message was not supposed to be about hate all is done is divide this country too... I respect him, but I respect Sen Clinton too and I agree with her message and I have not found yet comfort with Sen. obama he has a long way to go...
    I say let her run she has earn that right.
    Rise Hillary Rise!

May 7, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  6. Brandi S.

GOD himself couldn't make me vote for Obama. So all you Obama supporters who think that us Hillary supporters will swing over to your side...your dead WRONG! HILLARY 08!

May 7, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  7. jim

still trying to move the goal posts eh billary

May 7, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. Susie

To all Obama supporters: Please explain how your candidate can win in November after you antagonize all Hillary supporters. Hillary didn't destroy the Democratic party; Howard Dean, the DNC, and Obama have destroyed the party. Only the select few who will not vote Democratic in November are allowed to determine who the nominee will be.

May 7, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. David Goldman for OBAMA

GOOD FOR HER.

SHE IS ONLY EXPLOITING THE RULES.

ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE & POLITICS.

May 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. no2clinton, cambridge, MA

I guess she misspoke/forgot to mention that Obama now has the lead even with MI FL votes counted. I wonder what "miracles" she's praying for.

May 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. Terri

GO HILLARY GO!

I WILL SUPPORT HILLARY UNTIL THE END~

IF HILLARY IS NOT ON THE TICKET IN NOVEMBER

I WILL GO WITH MCCAIN NO WAY WOULD I EVEN CONSIDER

OBAMA

NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL

May 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. wait a minute

Here is the new math.
    Economics requires lots of math so I am not surprised Hillary just doesn't get it.

Barack Obama
    Pledged:1,588
    Superdelegates 257
    Total:1,845

Hillary Clinton
    Pledged:1,419
    Superdelegates 267
    Total:1,686

Election Center » Needed to Win: 2,025

May 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. marie

Believe me if that happen to Obama she will be the first to ask him to stepdown.. She is looking for SELFPOWER THATS IT

May 7, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

WELL NOW HERE WE ARE.

SHE HAS LOST BEYOND RECOVERY.

YOU'LL BE PLEASED TO KNOW SHE WILL BE CAMPAIGNING

DURING THE SWEARING IN CEREMONY.

May 7, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. Ellie in Aurora, CO

For those of you saying you will vote for McCain if Obama get the nomination – Why in the world would you vote against you best interests? McCain means a potential of 3 more conservative judges on the Supreme Court. How can you even consider a vote that could potentially continue to take away more of the rights that W started? Really? Are you serious? You will also be the first to complain when the economy continues its death spiral. Let's talk about voting core beliefs and values, not voting for someone out of spite. Too many bad choices in the 2000 and 2004 election got us here – don't double down on it!!!!

May 7, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. EDW

I wish people would UNDERSTAND that the situation with Michigan and Florida is not Obama's fault and that it would be costly to run a primary again in those two states. He wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan. Clinton was counting on this to be a problem so that she could call upon it in her demise.

May 7, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  17. mimi de la cruz for OBAMA

OH!!! SISTER HAS A PROBLEM.

MIGHT BE SERIOUS.

NOT FUNNY ANY MORE.

May 7, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. Lisa

There is a simple solution to all of this. Give Obama the Democratic nomination. And run as a Independant in the fall. Three choices for POTUS the same we have now.

May 7, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  19. Eddie of CA

That is the HILLARY WE KNOW! A fighter!!!! Obama just won North Carolina, which is expected since the majority of the population are blacks. So funny how people easily forget, she won 2 big states by 10 points before, OHIO & PA & now Indiana! How can you deny her the nomination!

It will be a riot if she backs out since alot of voters believe that Obama is the weaker candidate, he is inexperienced & has a shady past (let's bring J. Wright & Bill Ayers again, pls). He has not ran a campaign before & he is not electable! We need a fighter & we will win big margins in West Virginia, Kentucky & Puerto Rico! Until the FL & MI votes are locked in, she should fight!!!!

I am not ready to elect an arrogant, inexperienced intern for Presidency! I need a seasoned & smart senator from New York!

May 7, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. No, No, No

No, the number is 2025, and has been since the beginning of this race. You don't get to change the rules because you lost and you think you're God, Hillary.

No to you and your campaign tactics, no.

Obama 08

May 7, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  21. BH

Hillary is the best cadidate democrats had for a long time. It will be a while before the democratic party will be fortunate enough to have a candidate like you.
    Most left wingers or party activists and the media who dominate the primary process decided to support Obama and destroy Hillary's candidacy. They did not see the strength and tenacity she showed. They will realize it someday but it will be too late.

Democratci party has essentially nominated another Mcgovern or Duckakis. I am sad and depressed, because the voice of centrists are not heard anymore.
    Right wingers (Fox news, Limbaugh, hannity) or Left wingers (Chris Matthews, Olbermann) are dominating the media.

May 7, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. Concerned Voter

The only one dividing the party is Obama.

He has gone negative, which he said he would not. If he could not keep this promise, how can he keep any promises as President?

Oh, he hasn't made any real statements!!

May 7, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  23. Rick

She's staying in this race until she figures out a way to get her $11 million back that she loaned her campaign. She can't use money raised for the general election to pay campaign debt, so about the only way to do that is to win the primary and get elected President. Then as President she can raise the money to pay herself back. I think this is the real reason why she stays in at this point.

May 7, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  24. John San Francisco

I have had it with Wolf, I just looked at an interview with Hillary Clinton's Spoke Person. The Spokesman lied about all of Obama's plans to address the economy, Wolf did not dispute of statement, nor did he invite a Obama support to respond to Hillary's spokesman statements.

Wolf you are WORTHLESS, I bet you look at yourself in the mirror and don't reconize yourself. SHAME ON YOU WOLF B. You are no knid of man in my community, you have no back bone

May 7, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |