May 7th, 2008

Indiana not a record-breaker yet

(CNN) - It's a tight race in Indiana, but it remains to be seen if Tuesday's primary will break the record for the closest presidential primary in American history

CNN Polling Director Keating Holland reports that title belongs to the 1936 South Dakota Republican primary when Kansas Gov. Alf Landon, the eventual GOP nominee, beat Idaho Sen. William Borah by 257 votes.

The full results:

Landon - 44,518 votes - 50.14%

Borah - 44,261 votes - 49.86%

1. Phantasia, los angeles

VOTE FOR OBAMA!! THE TRUTH WILL PREVAIL IN THE ENDS. . IT'S TIME FOR CONFIDENT, CHANGE, AND TRUTHFULNESS. NO MORE LIES FROM THE CLINTON. NO MORE REPEATS. THE FUTURE IS DIVERSE AND NEED A PRESIDENT WHO WILL GIVE US HOPE! THIS IS HOW I FEEL AFTER I VOTE FOR OBAMA, CONFIDENT, INTELLECT AND TRUTHFULNESS.

May 7, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  2. kingsley

did the mayor of GARY deliver the votes of REV WRIGHT vs. LOU DUBBS AND WOLF

May 7, 2008 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  3. LT for Obama

Marden Moore,

This letter you wrote needs to be addressed to the elected officials of your STATE. They are the ones who broke the rules. That you went out and voted even though you were told it would not count is not the fault of Clinton or Obama.

I am so sick of people blaming the candidates for the misdeeds of the ELECTED officials of Michigan and Florida. I swear, if I read one more post blaming either of them, I will scream and then you really will hear MY voice all the way from California.

Stop the madness and take your fight to the ones who created it in the first place. As I say, play fair or don't play at all.

May 7, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  4. Aces full of Kings

Oh contrare, but you said we could not win a big state. North Carolina is a BIG STATE! And we won! Now go home.

May 7, 2008 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  5. Ryan , Bossier City, LA

Its funny how this topic is about how close these two candidates actually are. I hear non-stop how if Hillary Clinton is to get the nomination then she would be "stealing it " from Barack Obama. These two candidates are so close in all aspects of this competition that the only way for either one to become the nominee is to have done so on a technicality. The way the media changes its mind about the race is ridiculous. Even Obama said that Hillary would win Pennsylvania and he would win North Carolina, he went on to say that since Indiana is a toss-up whoever won there would break the tie. But now that Hillary won Indiana he no longer feels its the game changing tie breaker that it was hyped up to be. Its merely another state that Hillary Clinton won and is thrown out to be not important. So my question is why now that Hillary won Indiana is it no longer important?

May 7, 2008 04:01 am at 4:01 am |
  6. Crain in Texas

Even if she wins the final primaries at 60% to his 40% and gets half the super delegates she wont win.

May 7, 2008 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  7. Marden

LT for obama, i never once blamed obama in my letter, i do not blame the candidates for our troubles, our troubles lie with the DNC, all i have done is ask for them to step up for US since our STATE as you so blatenly and erronously put it, has done NOTHING for either florida or michigan.

all i have done here is to ask the candidate that i support to go ahead and continue what she has started tonight, to have our voices heard.

as for your voice, i appreciate your input, but i do not look to have someone who obviously did not hear what clinton said tonight weigh in on MY opinion and try to put words in my mouth, I HAVE NOT BLAMED ANY CANDIDATE, read my letter again because you obviously misread it. Again all I have done here is to address THE CANDIDATE THAT I SUPPORT.

Check your facts before you flame a person's blog

May 7, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  8. Marden

further i do not agree with our elected officials in moving up the voting date, it was a dumb move on their part.

May 7, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  9. William, from Cali

Obama wins by 14% in NC, Clinton wins in Indy by 2%, What is there to discuss further?...............Stay in , raise more money, and get the "AMERICAN PEOPLE", to pay your debts off..............................

May 7, 2008 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  10. Peter Damoah-Afari

Long live Senator Obama!!! I am very happy today. Indiana and NC have made a great decision today in American History. This will serve as a warning to those who are bent on destroying Obama to pave an untrustworthy way for Hillary.

May 7, 2008 04:53 am at 4:53 am |