May 7th, 2008

Obama fundraises off Clinton loan

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s cash-rich campaign has spent so much this primary cycle, rival Hillary Clinton has been forced to loan her own campaign millions of dollars. Now the Obama team is using Clinton’s loan - in an effort to raise even more money.

“We need to show that the voices of more than 1.5 million ordinary people donating whatever they can afford are more powerful than one person giving more than $11 million to their own campaign,” said campaign manager David Plouffe, in an e-mail sent to supporters Wednesday.

“Now is the time add your voice to our historic movement. Make a donation of $25 to match Senator Clinton's loan.”

The Clinton campaign revealed this week that the New York senator had loaned her own campaign roughly $6 million in the weeks since Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment. Earlier in the primary season, she made a similar $5 million loan.

In the 24-hour period after Clinton’s Pennsylvania win, her campaign reported a staggering $10 million in donations. They have not released a figure for funds that have come in since the senator won Indiana Tuesday night.

In his Wednesday e-mail, Plouffe argued that Clinton’s “path to the nomination has grown extremely narrow,” and said, as her staffers had earlier in the day, that “these loans show that [Clinton’s] campaign will continue to contest the remaining primaries vigorously…..”

1. oldsam

I don't see Obama paying off Clinton's debt. You can't spend millions you don't have or lent out to yourself and expect someone else to pay for it. Hillary was living beyond her campaign's fund raising means. She is allowed to use her own money but she should then just accept the bill.

May 7, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  2. jcm from Tampa, FL

She is buying the white house; when she donates to her campaing she says she is making a wise investment, but the way the market is she has to Foreclose before she gets it.

May 7, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. stinky in florida

Too bad Obama is not an atheist. Religion may be the opium of the people but truth is ANYTHING with gravy on it! The sucky part about politics is the amazing lack of truth. Obama appears to be the most honest of the three. Another Independent for Obama...see ya Hillary.

May 7, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Jose

I'm a person who has no business donating to a presidential campaign, I'm of a low income bracket currently.

I've donated $25 and other smaller amounts for political, civic and charitable donations that had been all.

This election cycle feels, sounds and projects change I'm buying thus far. Barack Obama has gotten two 25 dollar minimum donations from me because I agree and am ammenable to his arguement.

Eventhough I probably wouldn't be chided if I didn't, I may sacrifice some personal comforts and effects to chip in with more. I've made my idealism real by investing my limited fund for this man and this common good cause I trust we can fully realize.

May 7, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  5. Katie

@Karen May 7th, 2008 7:35 pm who wrote"
    "Wait a minute, wait a minute….Uh Scott — Hillary Clinton is "buying" the White House???? Are you kidding? Barack Obama has outspent her 3 or 4 to 1!!!!"

Pay attention Karen. She is "buying" the White House with her own money. Obama is outspending her, but with money he raised from his supporters. Therefore, it's his supporters – citizens – who are trying to "buy" the White House, not Obama himself. As it should be. Used to be only corporations and wealthy individuals could afford to "buy" the WH.

May 7, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |