May 7th, 2008

Obama fundraises off Clinton loan

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s cash-rich campaign has spent so much this primary cycle, rival Hillary Clinton has been forced to loan her own campaign millions of dollars. Now the Obama team is using Clinton’s loan - in an effort to raise even more money.

“We need to show that the voices of more than 1.5 million ordinary people donating whatever they can afford are more powerful than one person giving more than $11 million to their own campaign,” said campaign manager David Plouffe, in an e-mail sent to supporters Wednesday.

“Now is the time add your voice to our historic movement. Make a donation of $25 to match Senator Clinton's loan.”

The Clinton campaign revealed this week that the New York senator had loaned her own campaign roughly $6 million in the weeks since Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment. Earlier in the primary season, she made a similar $5 million loan.

In the 24-hour period after Clinton’s Pennsylvania win, her campaign reported a staggering $10 million in donations. They have not released a figure for funds that have come in since the senator won Indiana Tuesday night.

In his Wednesday e-mail, Plouffe argued that Clinton’s “path to the nomination has grown extremely narrow,” and said, as her staffers had earlier in the day, that “these loans show that [Clinton’s] campaign will continue to contest the remaining primaries vigorously…..”

1. Jamal

I can't believe Clinton is making Obama spend all that cash that he was gonna use for the general election.

Obama '08

May 7, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  2. poyoray

He has made this the most arrogant race that I have ever seen.

May 7, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  3. No Hillary

Senator Obama... I had $25 and donated to you ... I combined it with lots of prayers... Yes we can do it .. I trust u OBAMA!!!

May 7, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. Arkansas Undertaker

I will be donating $50.00 more dollars to the campaign this evening......GO OBAMA!!!!!!

OBAMA 08

May 7, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  5. Gary

Mean, arrogant people! Blessed are the humble in spirit, they will be rewarded at the end!

WE WILL FIGHT FOR HILLARY TIL THE END!!!!

May 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. is it necessary

isnt all these signs that hillary should just hang over and stop wating her personal money in campaigning.

May 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. USAF Sr. Airman

Obama has started a huge movement and now has the support of millions. When people believe in a candidate, they donate. Funny how Clinton is drowning in debt and can't get donations even when she begs.

May 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama

Obama, Hilldog spent 2 HOURS with the DNC TODAY. Can you
    believe it. Convincing, coniving, lying, begging, reminding them
    of what they owe "The Clinton's. The Clintons are "running" the
    DNC. Who put them in charge. The DNC afraid of the Clinton's
    Wrath? Sounds like it. Aren't you sick of the witch. Please get this
    over with and show some strength. What does she have on you all?

May 7, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  9. Don

Is it true that the Clinton campaign urged/persuaded Michigan and Florida election officals to move up their states primaries to disrupt the stream of Obama victories that were predicted in the earlier stages of this election? And since Florida and Michigan normally vote Republican in the general election it didnt seem like a lose of major significance at the time yet an opportunity to ignite the Clinton campaign. After they realized it wasnt going to be easy following the lose in Iowa and possible lose in N.H. The Clintons thought that the rippling affect of state wins would be evidence enough to back up Bills quote "the fairy tale is now over." Now that Obama has wrapped up the nomination with no twisting of the rules they want to discredit him for forcing them to honor the second part the the rule they engaged. (In my own words) Part 1 "Every state has the ability to reshedule theirs states primaries/causes Part 2 BUT In doing so the state forfiet there seats at the convention. The Clintons are great "chess players" and at the time they saw Michigan and Florida as "ponds" they could sacrifice and now they want them back. But where they really screwed up is thinking they were playing SOLEY against Barack Obama, NOT!

May 7, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Independent99999

It is time to show the power of people against RICH ELITISTS like Clinton with $100+ million in income

May 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  11. Jackson

What? She didn't making him spend it, it's his own choice to spend however much he wants to. Even though it's mainly due to her remaining in the race, she has every right to, it's not over till its over.

May 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  12. N. in Dallas, TX

I donated to Barack Obama today – I seem to find myself donating every few days. Today, I donated for the blue collar male who brushed off shaking Barack Obama's hand in a restaurant today because he doesn't believe he's Christian, among other, more racially charged reasons. That man made me feel really sad about some people in our nation.

Obama '08 & '12

May 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  13. READ AND RESPOND

You know you hilliary supporters can throw sinks and everything else unimaginable – and as soon as some one use your tactics you want to cry foul and talk nasty

May 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  14. The American Voter

To declare to your fellow countrymen that you are the most qualified person in all of the land to lead the nation is the very definition of arrogance. To call a presidential candidate arrogant is to accuse them of the very thing they wear on their sleeves. So they are arrogant. So what. Fireman are brave. Doctors are smart. Teachers are dedicated. Hold the presses- when people pick a career path it often says something about them.

Politicians are arrogant. Strong deductive work, there. Are we done? Let's move on.

May 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  15. Scott

Senator Obama, I have donated twice to your campaign, I will donate again, It saddens me to think that Senator Clinton is trying to buy the white house. I wonder what I should tell the students I teach about the leadership of America. "When I was a young boy, one was taught that anyone could be president, now the young see it takes millions of dollars of ones own money to buy the presidency. America Wake up.
    Please wake up, lets teach our children that there is honor and ethics yet in this country. Please Please wake up. Go Obama

May 7, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  16. Maxine

I got this e-mail and donated, but there was more to it, CNN don't misquote things....it is getting old.

May 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I trust Obama to use my donations wisely and effectively. Obama hasn't let me down yet therefore I will continue to contribute. I wish Hillary luck also.

May 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  18. Carol, WI

I got that email and will be donating $25 toward his campaign. Guess what, that money did NOT come from the faux 'gas tax break' promised by Hillary either. My only stipulation is Obama does not give any money to Hillary to pay back her loans to her campaign.

There have been rumblings that may be part of the deal for Hillary to drop out. But, frankly, I would rather see her stay in the race longer and have to deal with her monetary loss with her own millions, not my hard-earned dollars. How she is allowed to continue spending money she does not have and not pay her bills is beyond me. Who is letting her get by on credit?? She is practicing the same economic policies the US has been for years, which got us into this mess to begin with – buy now, pay later. Disgraceful.

May 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  19. KAY

HILLARY LOANED HERSELF MONEY, BECAUSE SHE'S TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH OBAMA, THE FRONT RUNNER

May 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Sylvia

Obama makes me sick!!!!

May 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. The New Spoiler

Hillary: don't listen to the critics. Stay in this as long as you can! Bloody Barack as much as possible so he loses in November. That way you can run in 2012!

Never. Give. Up.

Remember, this isn't about "we the people," it's about you!

HILLARY 2012!!!!!!!

May 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. sophia nyc

Powerful message about where elitism lies.

May 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  23. Anita from Arizona

So what income bracket do you have to be in to be labeled an Elitist? 4.5 Million or 100 million. She really stinks at math.

May 7, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  24. Nav

good job BRACAK OBAMA 08

May 7, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. Seat Florida and Michigan

Option 6: Seat FL & MI based on the elections that have taken place.
    (Obama does not get MI 55 uncommitted).

May 7, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |