May 7th, 2008

Obama fundraises off Clinton loan

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s cash-rich campaign has spent so much this primary cycle, rival Hillary Clinton has been forced to loan her own campaign millions of dollars. Now the Obama team is using Clinton’s loan - in an effort to raise even more money.

“We need to show that the voices of more than 1.5 million ordinary people donating whatever they can afford are more powerful than one person giving more than $11 million to their own campaign,” said campaign manager David Plouffe, in an e-mail sent to supporters Wednesday.

“Now is the time add your voice to our historic movement. Make a donation of $25 to match Senator Clinton's loan.”

The Clinton campaign revealed this week that the New York senator had loaned her own campaign roughly $6 million in the weeks since Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment. Earlier in the primary season, she made a similar $5 million loan.

In the 24-hour period after Clinton’s Pennsylvania win, her campaign reported a staggering $10 million in donations. They have not released a figure for funds that have come in since the senator won Indiana Tuesday night.

In his Wednesday e-mail, Plouffe argued that Clinton’s “path to the nomination has grown extremely narrow,” and said, as her staffers had earlier in the day, that “these loans show that [Clinton’s] campaign will continue to contest the remaining primaries vigorously…..”

1. College student

This just shows that Obama is jealous of the money the Clintons have earned. If he works a little harder, he can also make more money... After all this is america, where everyone can get that oppurtunity. (Also, if he had worked harder earlier, he could have got scholorships to pay for his college , instead of just paying off his loans !)

May 7, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  2. louis McLeod

I'm puzzled. Hillary is broke. She continues to put millions into a lost cause. I dont trust her and I think she is fully committed to doing something desperate. America, Remember the agent investigating clearwater. I dont think there's anything she beyond her capability, and if Bush and Cheney got away with (a) the Iraq war (2) transporting 12 billion in cash to Iraq (half of which disappeared of course) then Hillary will get of too. Sad isn't it

May 7, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  3. Terry

I hear lots of people saying that they would not vote for Obama, because he do not have the experience. I only have one thing to say and that is look where experence has gotten us, I think its time to see what fresh air and new blood can bring our next generation, because they are the ones at stake here. If they see any wrong doing, we could loose their votes for some time.

May 7, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  4. Sharon Minnesota

I think that kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama sounds a bit like Rush Limbaugh don't you? Maybe it him in drag.

Hillary Clinton or John McCain 08

May 7, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. Hemoglobin

As elite as Obama is (note sarcasm), if he didn't receive all those donations I'm sure he couldn't loan himself money as Hillary does.

May 7, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  6. janet

I donated today to Barack Obama's campaign. I'm a white, professional, go to church every Sunday woman of a certain age. Apparently I'm supposed to support Senator Clinton. There is absolutely no way I want her to represent me. She is dishonest.

May 7, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. Lynn D

Senator Obama is evil and sarcastic. Senator Clinton loaned her campaign the money because she believes in helping the American people. Senator Obama is using Senator Clinton's troubles to ask for money. That is pretty low, don't you think?

May 7, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. Jay from Chicago

I think this is a great idea buy the Obama campaign. This will only encourage us to match Hillary's loans.

I hope and pray that Hillary drops out so that our country can begin the healing process to take on John Mccain in the fall. Don't her supporters see that Hillary is only looking out for her own ambition at this point.

It's funny how Clinton who is worth 109 million dollars is asking working people to support her dying campaign. Even more ridiculous is that she is charging her supporters interest on the loans she gave the campaign. Even more stunning, she is just using the rest of the funds she gets from now on to pay off outstanding debts.

how ironic..she is the antichrist

Obama 2008

May 7, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Obama mama, Grayslake IL

I knew it from word go when I heard that Hillary raised $10million. I told my family that way a lie she had loaned her camp her own money. I said that was not true Hillary wanted to impress the superdelegates and her supporters that she had supporters who were funding her camp. Obama's manager just send email to say guys we need money by the end of the day he will have received any amount required to fight Hillary. Obama has a movement behind him, he is leader to this movement of change we are committed to.
    Hillary lost the game a long time ago, they came to the race with the notion of 20 years ago which is now history. Bill was liked that was that time, things have changed so much. Obama is for the next generation which mean the future and the Clintons are in the pastence.

Now the momentum is with Obama who is bringing some thing new stuff to the table not the old politics. This is 21st century people have moved on with their lives. If I were Hillary I would sit and think TWICE.

May 7, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  10. Caroline

Well, the pundits are on the air again. Can you believe that Zimmerman? He cannot say one good thing about Obama. No credit at all. All her backers are sleezeballs. Just compare them to Obamas'.

May 7, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  11. Lisa (PA)

All democrats please unite behind our democrat nominee...Senator Obama for President of these United States!

May 7, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  12. Nada Sheeple

Tune in next time boys and girls for another episode of "The Incredible Shrinking Superdelegate Count!"

Obama '08

May 7, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  13. s.positive

HRC supporters are so deluded to see the writing on the wall. It is real bad to lose with huge debt to pay off. I hope you all HRC supporters make enough contributions to get her out of the debt and delusion you have set her...

May 7, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. Megan

Wait. I'm a bit confused. So..why were so many people getting on Obama about being an elitist when this woman is backing her nomination bid with her own store of millions?? Talk about projection. I remembered something else- even if Michigan got seated, I'm not sure about Florida, that wouldn't exactly be fair since Obama was withdrawn from the ballot. Of course she would win if she was the only big candidate on the ballot! The DNC should NOT seat that state. Hillary, give it up baby. You're hurting, not helping by staying in this race. Don't be such a bitter old maid.

May 7, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  15. Ellie

I, as a white, Catholic, woman, whose parents are Portuguese immigrants, will happily, for the 1st time ever, donate to a political campaign. Elitest, no-that would fall on the Clintons.

May 7, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. Danny

Karen,

Yes, Barack is outspending her 3 or 4 to 1. However, his money is coming from regular people whereas hers is coming from herself. Barack is not trying to buy the White House – the American people are.

May 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  17. Sally

"Blessed are the humble in spirit, they will be rewarded at the end! "

Well, Gary, evidence suggests this is correct, and the humble HAS been rewarded.,, 'cause you can't POSSIBLY think that Hillary has demonstrated any humility in this race!!

May 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  18. Obama all the way....

I live paycheck to paycheck, gas prices are very high and I still contribute to his campaign every chance I get. I am not an idiot that believes the pandering garbage about a tax holiday that comes out of Hillary's cake hole!!

We don't need a gas tax holiday...we need a gas-BAG holiday!!!! Go home Hilly.

Cry me a river about being outspent!!! Poor, broke, elitest Hillary!!

She didn't earn the trust of the people like Obama has. He has outspent her...but it has been OUR money....MY money..and I turst him to use that money, however he sees fit.

And since he has managed that money for his campaign better than Hillary has, and he tells the truth about the gas tax farce that Hillary suggests...HE would be a much better candidate to deal with the economy!!!

May 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. politics

kathleen,retired Professional w/woman for obama -we know you hate Hillary. Cant you say something else? Just because you are a quitter, doesnt mean she has to do it too. God what an idiot!

May 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. gene

to karen
    he outspends her with money we the people donated not his personal funds you get it thats the reasoning to scotts comments which i totally agree with .. hillary not being able to raise as much as barack shows you that her support is not as strong if u want to see her continue put ur money where your mouth is

May 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Just an Opinion

I have read through these comments and it sounds to me like Gary, Sylvia, The new spoiler and Ron need to be sending their candidate some money so she can pay herself back the millions she has had to loan her campaign. Why should she have to fund her own campaign and rob money from herself??? You know that she desperately needs her money to buy new pantsuits! I suggest the four of you send her some cold hard cash ASAP!

May 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. James!

Arrogant intern!!!!! Wait til HILLARY CLINTON bounce back in West Virginia! You cannot just close the deal! You said that Indiana is the tie-breaker, well, you lost! NC is yours, 90% of the population is black, so what's new right?

People, HILLARY won PA & OHIO & INDIANA, & FL! These states are swing states, A Democratic nominee will not win a general election if they cannot win these swing states. NC is a red state, nobody cares!

GO HILLARY!

May 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  23. frankie

You're kidding. Obama is willing to take more of the American peoples money to fight Clinton? How much does he have now? And he needs more? He's had a very successful fund raising machine, but somewhere along the line, the greed has set in. I admire a person who is willing to put in their own money to fight for something they feel is so important. And Obama is encouraging people to match what Clinton is putting into her own campaign!?!? Interesting how he'll manage your money. WAKE UP PEOPLE.

May 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. Dal

"We the People' means us and the politicians should not lie and cheat us the people of USA.
    Hillary lied about Bosnia she told an outright lie about the gas tax helping the people. What else is she going to lie about.
    I would not be surprised if her people used the Rev. Wright to hit at OBAMA as well.
    Give us a break work ethically live ethically and you will win.

May 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  25. mona

Well, you know it's not as if Obama really donates to anything to begin with.

May 7, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |