May 7th, 2008

Obama fundraises off Clinton loan

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s cash-rich campaign has spent so much this primary cycle, rival Hillary Clinton has been forced to loan her own campaign millions of dollars. Now the Obama team is using Clinton’s loan - in an effort to raise even more money.

“We need to show that the voices of more than 1.5 million ordinary people donating whatever they can afford are more powerful than one person giving more than $11 million to their own campaign,” said campaign manager David Plouffe, in an e-mail sent to supporters Wednesday.

“Now is the time add your voice to our historic movement. Make a donation of $25 to match Senator Clinton's loan.”

The Clinton campaign revealed this week that the New York senator had loaned her own campaign roughly $6 million in the weeks since Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment. Earlier in the primary season, she made a similar $5 million loan.

In the 24-hour period after Clinton’s Pennsylvania win, her campaign reported a staggering $10 million in donations. They have not released a figure for funds that have come in since the senator won Indiana Tuesday night.

In his Wednesday e-mail, Plouffe argued that Clinton’s “path to the nomination has grown extremely narrow,” and said, as her staffers had earlier in the day, that “these loans show that [Clinton’s] campaign will continue to contest the remaining primaries vigorously…..”

1. Nicholas, Los Angeles, CA

If he caused around 8% on average to cross party lines, in open primaries, in order to cause chaos in the democratic primaries then it can't be true that Obama cannot get enough votes to win the general election. Due to the fact that when he lost by close margins, those margins might have been the right wing crossing over to the left to cause some disarray in the results. Therefore in the general election the actual democratic turnout will be different since the right wingers that crossed over to cause a stir are most likely not going to do so in the genral election. Therefore it seems that this is another ploy by Limbaugh to try and affect the primaries again by saying he wants Obama now, since it looks like he will win the nomination, so that the remaining voters in the remaining primaries will lean toward Clinton in an effort to try and put her in since Limbaugh is saying he wants Obama because he thinks he is weaker and thinks he will lose. Why do we still give ignorant drug addicts a forum to spout their inconsitencies? I am sure he thinks he is "helping" America by trying to cause a rift in the election in order to embolden the republican party and their nominee but in the end he is contributing to the moronic nature that this campaign has taken on. It is a time when this country needs change in order to try and regain the great name and standing it once had in this world and not a time for politics as usual, with corporate interests deciding policy both foreign and domestic for our country, and having the American people seen as a great big financial source that the corporate sponge will gladly soak up in order to garner even more record profits. America was a country first and then the corporations were allowed to do business in that country and were held accountable by its laws, let's not forget that. Because now they hold the influence over how the laws are written which allows them to practice business in a way that is killing our great nation all while lining their pockets over and over again. It is a time to have a change in the white house and in Washington in general. And by helping to turn this very important election into a nonsensical affair then you are hurting America and not helping this great nation. And I would call that un-American Mr. Limbaugh. Go take some of your prescription drugs that you so love and let the people have their say.

May 7, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. Arlene for Clinton

The more I read about Obama the less I believe in him. Just send me another $25.00 he says. What is he doing with all that money? My question is what has Obama really did for African Americans or any Americans. The Clintons have a record of accomplishments. It's sad that people are voting and giving on emotions instead of looking at the facts. I guess the $25.00 is the donation for the great sermon Obama is preaching. I believe that Obama will bring CHANGE to America if he is elected. The end result will be all of us will be counting the CHANGE that's left in our bank accounts when this economy goes under and we have a President in the White House who is clueless on how to turn it around. I guess Bush wasn't enough, we must now repeat the mistake with an African American Bush in Obama. So all those people who are sending their $25.00 to Obama are going to be wishing they had those donations come January 09.

May 7, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. JT

Hillary made $109 million. What is $11 million, chump change.

Hillary will win!! Superdelegates are going to make decision based on the General Election in November.

These people like Kerry, Daschell, Teddy, and now McGovern all are losers. They are jealous people.

Hillary will win!!!! People claim she is doing everything to win. At least she have not dumped her Pastor yet.

Hillary 08!!!

May 7, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  4. Independent

I haven't exactly been able to figure out how people have decided that Obama is elitist. I think it's because he won't stoop to the low levels of mud slinging. Is Clinton considered to be the average American even though she hasn't pumped her own gas in over a decade and is wealthy enough to loan herself millions of dollars? Is it better that she self-finances her campaign since she can't get her supporters to put their money where their mouth is than Obama to get over 1.5million people to donate to his campaign? I think it's elitist for her to think she's the "better" candidate when she doesn't have the popular vote and isn't leading in delegates which is an indication of what the people think. She essentially saying that the only voices that should matter are those who voted for her...newsflash- the people elect you so you can't keep saying you're better when they don't agree....

May 7, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  5. Susan

When I got the first rebate incentive from Bush a few years ago ($300), I was in a disinterested-in-politics period. Bill's philandering had pissed me off and I had unregistered as a Dem and re-registered as an Independent. I figured they were all crooks. So, without blinking, I bought two new windows for the front of my mobile home with the $300 and jokingly referred to the windows as the "Bush Memorial Windows." Then the Iraq war happened. Then I married a very smart man who encouraged me to read and listen and think about world events. I've given Obama $100 three times. I really didn't have it in my budget, but I've read his books and I believe in him. I'll probably squeeze out a little more for Obama in the next few weeks. My windows have now been renamed the "Obama Memorial Windows." I like my windows a whole lot more than before. He's obviously our best bet.

May 7, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  6. Bill, Covington

It would appear that Barak will be the Democrar nominee, mot because he is a person of substance, not because he is the best person for the job but, Because of the rumblings of the likes of Al Sharpton, Jessee Jackson, Thr Rev. Wright, Colin Powell, Ophra Winfree, Charlie Rangel. these people make snide commentes, never coming right out and predicting a race war if Bark were to not win the nomination.Finestein, chuckie schmuck Shumer, Kennedy, Finegold, the Piglosi woman, Harry Reed, all shaking in their boots.
    It is my intention to vote for the caucasian male and be prepared to confront whatever consequences there may be.
    Have a nice day1

May 7, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. Charles

Hillary had to loan her campaign the money to continue to compete, it has nothing to do with ability to manage money. It is just expensive to run campaigns these days.

That being said, it says a lot that she cannot raise enough money to support her candidacy. It seems that when it comes to putting your money where your voice is, there aren't that many behind her.

I walk to work now (about a thirty minute walk one way) in order to not pay for the extra gas as there are bills to pay. I still got enough money together to donate to Obama.

As for not voting for the candidate that gets the nomination, do people really want Bush II to choose the next one or two Supreme Court Justices….Roe v Wade is a critical decision that governs at least half of the country. Or the recent decision by the Supreme Court that denies the right to vote to a group of nuns (real law breakers there)…..I won't even begin to talk about Bush II's health care plan for the insurance companies…..or the Mortgage Plan for the hurting predatory Morgage Companies who missed the last profit target......

It does no good to pout and say I am taking my ball and going home….the person who leaves gets punished just as much as those who don't…..

May 7, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  8. emily

It's funny, I'm getting second thoughts about this "Hilary Camp Raises $10M in 24 hours!" ... I wonder where all the money came from! Hilary's own frickin wallet! That's extremely sad and pathetic. And here I am just laughing at how "the tide is turning.."

May 7, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  9. obamahater

ALL U PEOLE NEED TO WAKE THE HECK UP.....OBAMA BIN LADEN WILL NEVER WIN THIS ELECTION....EVEN IF HE BEATS HILLARY WHICH HE WON'T, WE WILL NEVER BEAT JOHN MCCAIN... I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA BECAUSE HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING BUT GIVE THE SAME OLD SPEECHES.... WHAT DOES HE PLAN ON DOING WHILE HE'S IN OFFICE JUST GIVE SPEECHES....COME ON ENOUGH WITH THE GEORGE BUSH CRAP SHOW ME SOME RESULTS LIKE HILLARY CLINTON HAS OVER THE YEARS....TO BE PRESIDENT YOU HAVE TO DO MORE THEN JUST TALK SOME TALK YOU HAVE TO WALK THE WALK AND HILLARY WILL WALK ALL OVER OBAMA BIN LADEN...

May 7, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  10. emily

It's funny, I'm getting second thoughts about this "Hilary Camp Raises $10M in 24 hours!" … I wonder where all the money came from! Hilary's own frickin wallet, what a liar and cheater! After her big loss in North Carolina and insignificant 1-point lead in Indiana, here I am just laughing at how "the tide is turning.." for her...

May 7, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  11. Tammy

HILLARY LOANED HERSELF MONEY, BECAUSE SHE'S TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH OBAMA

If Hillary's supporters were behind her like Obama's supporters are she would not have to lend herself the money. Obama has millions of supporters making small donations versus Hillary's how many??? corporate supporters making a few large donations. She's limited by the few supporters making the max dollar amount they are allowed to donate and not having as many supporters willing to donate.

May 7, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  12. Hillary Supporter

Shame on Obama campaign that even with all that money they still cannot deliver and end the race. It means that Hillary is more powerful than he is. Obama is not going to buy America with money in November. America is smarter than that and he will loose woefully to John McCain.

Hillary '08

May 7, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  13. Paula in WI

Hilary's best supporters know she can't win.She can't even get donations.This is 3 times she footed her own funding.Chelsey was obviously pittying her last night and so was her husband.She doesn't like to lose.She's making promises she can't keep.Even if the Florida vote was factored in she can't win.Now all she will accomplish is to get Mcain elected.After the dishonest campaign she's even ruining her chances of getting re-elected in New York(If thats her home town again soon.)This is sick at this point on her part.

May 7, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  14. Haneefah Hasan

Talking about the Elite issue. Senator Clinton is so elite she can loan herself/campaign $5 mil and now 6.4 mil. Who is the elite? Senator Obama cannot by any means if he wasn't an excellent fundraiser loan himself $11.4 million dollars. Senator Clinton is of the mind that if she cannot win these primaries no one will and McCain will be the victor. She needs to get out of the game. She is not a very popular person, she has almost destroyed the Democratic Party and Senator Obama. She tells the biggest woppers and gets away with it, i.e., Bosnia, Gas Holiday, Her Thesis (of which she's hiding from the voters), their taxes (the one that they have not yet sent to IRS), their illegal contributions to their Library, Monica L, I can go on and on, but, I know that you all will not let the readers see this one.

Haneefah
    Stone Mountain, GA

May 7, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  15. Zoe

Bill Clinton's face last night said it all...its over Hillary!

Her knows it and you should too.

Obama is being a statesman and gentleman not speaking to the pathetic hanging on in your hopes of your stealing the election by manipulation.

The party is also trying to be nice and allow you to be gracious. Don't drag this out Hillary, until all respect anyone held for you is destroyed by your ego.

May 7, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  16. RL

TELL ME ABOUT PAUL VS CLINTON

May 7, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  17. Joe Reg

Oh she has only herself to blame allright.

She will probably spend all the money she and Bill have made before she finally surrender.

She has no standing to set any terms. She needs to tender her unconditional surrender.

Obamacan 08!!!

May 7, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. Frank

It's kind of sad now that Hillary has become more of a train wreck than Britney.Maybe someone should do her a favor and put a 5150 hold on her.

May 7, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. Sue

...I suggest you put that $25 in your gas tank.

May 7, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. vp

interesting tactics

May 7, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. Chris

Hillary's smart supporters are already switching sides. They know what it takes to get this country back on its feet. That is by supporting Obama, regardless of their differences.

I hope all of Hillary's supporters will put the country first rather than their own emotions.

May 7, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  22. Len

Hever give up Hillary.

You can still steal the nomination. lol

Vote McCain 08

May 7, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  23. ADINDU SAB TORONTO

This is obvious, and there is no going back, Come on Hillary, you can donate this money to the suffering people instead of fighting a loosing battle. As far as I know you have lost this race

May 7, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  24. Roscoe

OBAMA has been able to raise and spend so much money because HILLARY got off to a slow start by ignoring the small states. This is BILL C's fault and she needs to dump him and get ready for 2012.

May 7, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Obama

People are sooo funny
    He isn't asking people to raise money to get to Hillary he is challenging you to raise as much as she took out of her pocket to show that he has true supporters and that he has people who would raise it for him–he is proving that he doesn't have to take it out of his own pocket.

OBAMA 08