May 7th, 2008

Pelosi: The race is not over

Pelosi said Wednesday the Democratic race should continue.
Pelosi said Wednesday the Democratic race should continue.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Wednesday the Democratic presidential race is not over yet and that it is still possible for Senator Hillary Clinton to win.

“I think the race is alive and well and will continue,” Pelosi said during a news conference to promote Democratic energy proposals.

Pelosi, who has repeatedly said she remains neutral in the Democrats’ nomination battle, was asked whether Clinton's slim margin of victory in Indiana meant her campaign was finished.

"A win is a win. A win is a win. Let's just call it what it is," Pelosi said.

"I believe the races must continue. The people should all have the opportunity to speak as long as two candidates wish to compete in those primaries and caucuses. In a few weeks we will be on our way to nominating the next President of the United States," she said.

When asked whether she could see any path to victory for Senator Clinton, Pelosi said "You never know in elections."

She said she was more focused on House races. "I'm not part of the Presidential elections so I think as long as the campaign is going and the candidates are in the race there's always a possibility," she said.
Asked about concerns raised by Democrats that the prolonged fight could hurt party unity, Pelosi insisted "the outcome either way is a good one for us."

Pelosi argued high turnout in Tuesday's primaries will help Democrats win in the fall. But she warned she would speak out if the national campaigns hurt her goal of expanding the Democratic majority in Congress. "Let me say this, the day I see that the actions taken by the presidentials has an impact down ballot on my races for the House I'll let you know."

The Speaker said she's not following Senator McCain's campaign, but argued voters won't support "another four years of President Bush."

1. Jane, NC

Thank you, Speaker Pelosi, for not joining the chorus of party "leaders" and the blatantly Obama-biased news media in their intense and obscene pressure on Sen. Clinton to withdraw. She is right to hold her ground. Had it not been for the bias as well as the party screw-up early on in disinfranchising 2 entire states (who should be outraged, by the way) and the riduculous and complicated primary/caucus scenarios, Sen. Clinton would most likely be the nominee, and her supporters know that. We live in a new age, and the DNC better get it's act together before the next election!

May 7, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  2. Relevant

I read somewhere else that one possible reason for the absolutely inexplicable stance, and lack of action, on the part of all the leaders in the DNC (Pelosi, Dean, etc) is because Hillary has either promised them something, or more likely, threatened them with something, in order to get them to allow her to continue to run.

Given the number of people connected to various Clinton scandals over the years that have outright DIED under suspicious circumstances (do your research), I can't say I'm completely surprised at the thorough emasculation of the DNC by the Clintonista Regime.

These are very, very scary times to be an American.

May 7, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  3. ralph

Hillary still there only because of Bill and his powerfull friends in the
    Democratic party,Obama will beat old MC by 75% of the American vote
    never ever in the History of USA running for president have touch peoples
    as Obama did last night,all those white old ladys were listening to Obama and thinking only if that was their child,Obama is the BEST/BEST
    the guy is real,only real peoples can do what he did last night,in front of WHITE/BLACK/BROWN/WHITE CHOCOLATE/YELLOW as anybody of you want to call the peoples that were listening to him live lastnight
    thanks

May 7, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  4. David

I have already left a comment, but it hasn't been posted. I'm a conservative so I'm thinking "media bias". Oh, wait that doesn't exist. Right

May 7, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  5. Anthony

I really believe that Hillary Clinton is the stronger candidate against John McCain. Obama is out of touch with the other 3/4 of the population. I am a true democrat, not a liberal. I agree more with McCain than Obama. If Hillary does not get the nomination I will definitely vote for McCain. I feel many Clinton supporters will also vote for McCain. Obama is out of touch with real democrats. The liberals will ruin are party.

May 7, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  6. Francisco Anguiano

As long as it remains a democratic process, played on majority approved existing rules, campaining in the 48 DNC popular mandate is healthy and necessary for our country.

Being a majority 'white' populace, voting for a both black and white extremely articulate and brilliant U.S. Senator - even in our democracy - is no small potatoes affair!

Come together, let us heal, let's rap our minds around it. Hold him accountable. We can, we've done it. We're being given more tools and more of a stage here. We've been supportive.

We can talk. We can write. We can walk. We can confront. We can vote. We can think. We can labor. We do all the time.

Uplifting our representative democracy to more vigorous and enlightening levels, it is happening right now, this is why I am for Barack Obama.

The seemingly nice and good natured fellow is irrefutably inviting all Americans to join him in adding our voice to the discussion of our country is run.

Shall we? Is it real this time? Inspired? Motivated? Will it happen? Do you buy in? While skepticism is okay, cynicism - I dare submit - is not advisable.

May 7, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  7. Mike from Westchester

I had hoped tha Pelosi would be a voice of reason. I guess not.

The countdown continues.....273, 272, 172, 171, 170, 169.........

I have added Lanny Davis to the Clinton Lie and Spin Club roster. Does anyone believe the Clintons are happy with the Indiana results? North Carolina?

May 7, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  8. smokesignals

I don't get Pelosi.

One week she's advocating for the party to unite and get behind one candidate and then the next......this!

What the heck? Did the Clinton's get to her, too, with their back door politics?

May 7, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  9. Mike Guinn

Nancy- as one of your staunchest supporters I am very disappointed.
    There is NO WAY that Hillary Clinton will be the nominee- and in your position, you should be pushing for party unity–not more insanity.
    The Clinton folks have been insulting you – calling you names and trying to have someone else be Speaker of the House. This is an interesting twist to say the least.

May 7, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  10. Desiree

Never give up, never surrender! I truly admire Sen Clinton, she's tough.

May 7, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |