May 8th, 2008

Blitzer on Obama: He seemed at ease

ALT TEXT

Wolf Blitzer interviewed Obama Thursday. (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Having interviewed Senator Barack Obama on several occasions in recent years, I must say he seemed very relaxed and at ease when we spoke in The Situation Room today. On earlier occasions, he often seemed more wound up and intense. That was certainly true during the four Democratic presidential debates that I moderated over the past year. On this day, however, he seemed very comfortable and very confident. And with good reason.

I showed him the new issue of Time magazine, which features him on the cover, along with the words: “And the winner is…” Asked for his reaction, he said: “I don’t want to be jinxed. We’ve still got some work to do.” It reminded me of superstitious athletes who fear having their picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Obama could not have been more effusive in his praise of Hillary Clinton. He kept calling her an “extraordinary” candidate. In response to a video question from a CNN I-Reporter, he said Senator Clinton would certainly be “on anybody’s short list” as a vice presidential running mate. “But it would be presumptuous of me at this point when she is still actively running, when she is highly favored to win two of the next three contests, for me to somehow suggest that she should be a running mate,” he said. “At this point, I think we have to resolve this process and then we can figure it out.”

While he had nice things to say about Hillary Clinton, he didn’t hold back in criticizing his other opponent, John McCain, on a host of domestic economic and national security issues. He seemed ready to move on to the next chapter of his campaign.

1. joyce

of course he is comfortable

May 8, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. Debby

Wolf did you even ask him when he is going to Iraq to see whats taking place on the ground there???????? He is so worried about McCain's repeating of what Hamas said, that Obama doesn't have a foreign policy clue whats going on there. Of course he is at ease he is a good used car salesmen.

May 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. The Dude

All right!

Democrats Unite '08!

May 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Jason

These guys just make me sick (both Obama and Blitzer) I can't even tune into this network anymore. I can't imagine our country giving the reins of power over to an inexperienced community organizer (whatever that is?) I believe the Chicago Mafia is behind this.

May 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. Sylvia

Wolf, you REALY show your bias
    I thought journalists are supposed to be UNbiased????

May 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Pepou

He is our next President and I am overjoyed by the thought.

May 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. Sharon

President Obama !!

Has a nice ring to it.

May 8, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Independent

See – he has nice things to say about Hillary Clinton. Just like he always congratulates her when she wins a primary.

Maybe all of you people saying you wouldn't vote for Obama should take a second look and realize he is a genuinely nice, respectful guy.

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Louis

I'm glad that he's being such a good sport.

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. West Virginia

I wonder if Hillary Clinton is the one that make and change rules for the Democratics party whenever she wants. Now Hillary Cliton state that if the Democratics party has the rules that the Republicans have she would be the nominee long time ego. I suggest that Hillary go run as a Republican candidate if she wants their rules. Rules are rules; Florida and Michigan had mess up their chances to have their delegates sit and I believe that it not to Hillary's power to tell the DNC how to sit them delegates. These delegates from these two state should not be seated at all. The Democratics party is losing its standard by seating Florida and Michigan and in the future any state could just say well I am doing my primary in such and such date because Florida and Michigan did it and they get away with it. Obama needs to be careful with any proposal from Hillary Clinton.

May 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. CHICANO ART, ARIZONA

I wonder if Obama would be so calm if he actually debated Hillary. In the past debates he did his best to agree with Hillary. Now that there are some clear policy differences he is afraid of a debate. He has not locked this nomination up yet and if Michigan and Florida are not included in the DNC Convention I will leave the party. He has a lot to be neverous about still.

May 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. B / NYC

Wolf...
    With all due respect... Half of the Democratic Party hates Senator Obama and will NEVER vote for him...
    He's dreaming... Pretty full of himself!!!

May 8, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. for the good of the democratic party

that's my boy, he IS comfortable and he is a GENUINE. praising Hillary even after the train wreck of a compaign she has run is a stand up move. Obama will be great for this country and I can't wait for the day he is elected. He has truly inspired me and my family on what the american people are capable of.

god bless Obama and god bless america!

i hope the superdelegates will all call Clinton and tell her to show the same grace in bowing out as Obama has shown the last few days in praising her. He is setting the stage and it would be a great time for Clinton to start praising him. Our party will be so strong and united, we will literally trounce Mccain.

May 8, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. SUPERDELEGATE

America and the whole world will be at ease when Obama becomes the president

May 8, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. melikeyhill

hillary supporters please stop drinking you purple and red Kool-aid, this nomination process is over for your candidate please stand strong for the party instead of people or candidates!!!!

May 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. An Agnostic Democrat

So, Wolf, did you have to clean your drawers after Mr. Obama played nice with your girlfriend, Hilldog? Too bad she doesn't have the same manners and magnanimity. Maybe on your next date you can teach her a few things Slick Willy wasn't able to accomplish.

May 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. Faith

Obama's best week ever!!!

May 8, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. James

That is why I like him. Go Obama.

May 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Shawn from Kansas

Obama should be campaigning in the states left. Last night CNN kept usng football as an analogy. Well, even if the game was wrapped up, no team would walk off the field midway through the third quarter, and leave the losing team on the field by themselves. It would rob the fans still in the bleachers.

May 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Jane, College Park, Maryland

Some of you guys are so filled with hatred toward this man, you must live unhappy lives.

May 8, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. rose, texas

don't count u'll chickens before they hatch. come nov. it's going 2 b president mccain. how is one going 2 unite with all of these rude obama supporters. i had never heard so many rude people in my life. cnn u'll never print my comments.....why

May 8, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. chris CA

What about Paul v Clinton?

May 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. fred

I am sure he was....he was with friends!!

Wolf and the whole of CNN is Biased for Obama...the only one that I can say that isn't is Lou Dobbs.

They need to get Jack off the air...he is so stupid now, I can't hardly stand to watch him.. you are going to lose many viewers.

May 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. Lorraine

I am just about to watch the interview with Barack Obama and Wolf Blitzer
    I am so thrilled that it looks like he is going to be our nominee, and next president. I think Hillary should just get out of the race. I worry so much that she and Bill are going to come up with some devious way of overturning this. I also think it would be a big mistake for Barack to offer her the VP position. After all, he has been running on a change from the old politics in Washington, and she is of the old politics. I think it would not help him at all, and he does not need Hillary/Bill in the whitehouse with him

May 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  25. Marcia

Senator Obama has always been at ease and confident...As far as Obama asking Hilary to be the Vice President.....FORGET IT!...Anyway, Hillary was Vice President to her husband, just as Gore....

May 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |