May 8th, 2008

Blitzer on Obama: He seemed at ease

ALT TEXT

Wolf Blitzer interviewed Obama Thursday. (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Having interviewed Senator Barack Obama on several occasions in recent years, I must say he seemed very relaxed and at ease when we spoke in The Situation Room today. On earlier occasions, he often seemed more wound up and intense. That was certainly true during the four Democratic presidential debates that I moderated over the past year. On this day, however, he seemed very comfortable and very confident. And with good reason.

I showed him the new issue of Time magazine, which features him on the cover, along with the words: “And the winner is…” Asked for his reaction, he said: “I don’t want to be jinxed. We’ve still got some work to do.” It reminded me of superstitious athletes who fear having their picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Obama could not have been more effusive in his praise of Hillary Clinton. He kept calling her an “extraordinary” candidate. In response to a video question from a CNN I-Reporter, he said Senator Clinton would certainly be “on anybody’s short list” as a vice presidential running mate. “But it would be presumptuous of me at this point when she is still actively running, when she is highly favored to win two of the next three contests, for me to somehow suggest that she should be a running mate,” he said. “At this point, I think we have to resolve this process and then we can figure it out.”

While he had nice things to say about Hillary Clinton, he didn’t hold back in criticizing his other opponent, John McCain, on a host of domestic economic and national security issues. He seemed ready to move on to the next chapter of his campaign.

1. Tired of all this flap

Thank you Woff. It is about time that the media gives Barack Obama his due especially after they took him through the wringer during the PA primary campaign. It seemed as though Hillary Clinton was the princess of the ball and if she went negative then CNN went negative. Although Obama has more work to do within the next few weeks, it seems as though he is that much closer to become the presumptive nominee for the Democratic party. Democrats get on broad for us to make history here in the United States of AMERICA.

May 8, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Joe Regis

He should be at ease and refreshing and inspiring to lead america.

HE CAN'T AFFORD TO BE OVERWELMED BY HIS ACHIEVEMENTS.

GO OBAMA GO

OBAMACAN 08.

May 8, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Rayshaun, New York

I have to tell you Wolf, some of the comments I see on here bashing Obama are beyond racist and frankly stupid, you need to set a retarted limit to the types of emails you allow people to post on here.

May 8, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. Jerry

What's important is that the plateform that sponsors discounts for the rich, tax breaks for the top 2, and a money oriented policy is returned to he White House. As an Obama support I like what I see but I would vote for Hillary before John M.

The conservitive agenda, many speaking out in this bloc, just don't get it... you support a "Money for Me" mental model, while the country and world goes down. We need a new direction that is "WE" focused and not "me" focused. Read Obama's book and you'll see this in his persona.

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Yes we can!

Obama got off course a few times, because he allowed the media and the crowd to dictate how he should run his campaign. But overall he ran a great campaign and never stooped as low as the clintons. He had so much dirt he could have used, but he stuck to his word and didn't go there...the only story he rode was the sniper fire story and she put that out not him. They quietyly kept rev. wright in the media and the superdelegates ear, the went on and on how he can win the "white vote", they went on and on about no experience, a speech maker that's it with no substance, just negative ever since south carolina. Be at ease obama, keep God first and remember we are the united states of america, one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. Obama will be President!

Time for a new Obama Girl single!

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Darth Vadik, CA

B / NYC,

Where do you get your numbers, Hillary's math?

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Angela

Obama supporters ... get over yourselves....

There is no presumptive nominee and half the democrats don't like your candidate.

Don't count Senator Clinton out – until he has reached the magic number.

Oh, and I think all super delegates holding office should vote as their district did. And those not holding office should vote as their state did. I may be wrong, but that gives Senator Clinton enough super delegates to claim the nomination.

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Sue

I will not listen to the interview. I hope the questions were tough questions and he had specific answers. I have to say I used to enjoy CNN as my station of choice and Wolfe was always interesting. I do not watch CNN TV as I have lost respect for the station and the reporters. During the past few months they have been biased and tried to lead the country into voting their way. Obama has no idea what may be ahead of him. He does not have my vote. I am a Hillary supporter all the way and I promise if she is not the candidate I will have to make a decision to stay home or suffer for 4 years with McCain. That being said we'll see how the next few weeks play out.

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. mds

So I guess that you think Bush know more than Obama? The stop sign up the street know more than Bush! Anyone would be better, it can't get any worse.

May 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Yes We Can

Obama – Calm, cool and very Presidential.

Imagine Hillary in this position...i get the shudders just thinking about it.

i'll have a gas holiday (not)
    i was dodging sniper fire in Bosnia (not)
    i'll turn Iran into a smoking hole
    i'm a fighter
    ALL NEGATIVE, all the time

It's time for a thoughtful, considerate, thinking president – Obama

May 8, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. mitchell from arkansaw

i'm feeling more comfortable ,too.he will make a great president ,for ALL the people.mccain is toast,already!DEMOCRATS UNITE!

May 8, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Xango

he is our nominee no matter what the delusional lady says and he will be our President no matter what the \GOP and billary does.......

May 8, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. Bayuaji

The USA needs to have NICE PERSON like Barack Obama as a President. We can trust Barack Obama, that is a very importan point. He has many nice and respectful backers. Those backers and his supporters are going to help him to make the USA big again.

Hillary is a super ambitious woman, we can see how she is doing "ANYTHING" to be a president. She said anything even lies to win this election. She said bad things about other people just to make her like Rambo or Rocky. This is so sad!!
    I hope she will not ruin the country because of her own greed.

May 8, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  15. Missouri

It is because he thinks he is the Democratic nominee, and officially, he is not. But he is acting like it. No surprise. Months ago we saw him as 'star struck', and still feel that he is like that.

May 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. VAGuy

Obama.....enjoy this time till Nov. after that there is nothing to enjoy....

May 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. larry King Live

Obama is great leader you morons who dont support him...the media is alway right...as they would not have said this...Obama should be the next prez....we all should vote for him...you morons....

May 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Rich

"He prepared to handle that? Why is he not calling meetings on his Afghan oversight committee? Oh I forgot he is too busy campaigning. His arrogance makes me sick."

There is no "Afghan oversight committee." He's chair for the subcommittee for European Affairs. Afghanistan is not in Europe. The only truth to the Clinton attack boils down to the argument that he should be pressuring NATO, which includes European countries, to do more in Afghanistan.

May 8, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Murry - Arizona

Whoever said that 1/2 of the Demegraphic party hates Obama is so full of it! I guess you just don't want to admit that he'll be our next president. Let's be realistic here-– as much as I back Barack Obama – IF he doesn't become our nominee & I emphasize the word "IF". I'll cast my vote for Hillary – cuz there is no way that we need another person in office who will continue the Bush mind set. I'm sure that most Americans think that same way as well. Why cut your nose to spite your face. He's such a refreshing change & am so looking forward to having him in office. Go Obama! YES YOU CAN!!!!

May 8, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. LT for Obama

You ALL need to keep in mind that the world at large is watching what is going on with the Democrats. There are a lot of countries who, if Obama wins, are willing to support the US. Clinton and McCain supporters keep talking about his lack of foreign policy yet all these other countries are looking forward to working with Obama. That alone is a huge win for this country.

We need to stop this infighting and truly concentrate on the big prize.

May 8, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. Roy Abraham

What a relief. It's time the public no longer has to put up with hearing the names "Clinton & Bush" . Thank God they are gone. A new beginning, clean slate and fresh start. Oh I am counting days.

May 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  22. Terrence (Winston Salem,NC)

B / NYC May 8th, 2008 4:09 pm ET

Wolf…
    With all due respect… Half of the Democratic Party hates Senator Obama and will NEVER vote for him…
    He's dreaming… Pretty full of himself!!!
    -------------------------------–

Hate??? Hmmm. Need I say more. It can't be on policy because both he and Clinton's policy are so close to one another? What else could it be to make a person use this word? I'll let the readers draw their own conclusions.

May 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This man, Barack Obama, is truly Presidential material and it's our time as Americans to cease this opportunity. Obama has been gifted to us as the messenger of peace, prosperity and happiness.

May 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. SBvoter

To all Obama supporters.
    You have made your choice and now you have to live with it.
    McCAIN FOR PRESIDENT-YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

May 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Florida voter

I honestly cant think of a Obama presidency. Here my word, IF Hillary isnt the nominee, McCain will be president. Please Dems, why do u guys always pick the wrong guy? I mean, when we have the best chances to win, we end up losing. Learn your lesson. MCCAin will be president if Obama is the nominee. This will just be another of countless mistakes the dems have done in choosing there nominee.

May 8, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |