May 8th, 2008

Blitzer on Obama: He seemed at ease

ALT TEXT

Wolf Blitzer interviewed Obama Thursday. (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Having interviewed Senator Barack Obama on several occasions in recent years, I must say he seemed very relaxed and at ease when we spoke in The Situation Room today. On earlier occasions, he often seemed more wound up and intense. That was certainly true during the four Democratic presidential debates that I moderated over the past year. On this day, however, he seemed very comfortable and very confident. And with good reason.

I showed him the new issue of Time magazine, which features him on the cover, along with the words: “And the winner is…” Asked for his reaction, he said: “I don’t want to be jinxed. We’ve still got some work to do.” It reminded me of superstitious athletes who fear having their picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Obama could not have been more effusive in his praise of Hillary Clinton. He kept calling her an “extraordinary” candidate. In response to a video question from a CNN I-Reporter, he said Senator Clinton would certainly be “on anybody’s short list” as a vice presidential running mate. “But it would be presumptuous of me at this point when she is still actively running, when she is highly favored to win two of the next three contests, for me to somehow suggest that she should be a running mate,” he said. “At this point, I think we have to resolve this process and then we can figure it out.”

While he had nice things to say about Hillary Clinton, he didn’t hold back in criticizing his other opponent, John McCain, on a host of domestic economic and national security issues. He seemed ready to move on to the next chapter of his campaign.

1. Southern view

CNN reporters are in love with Obama. It was love at first sight. It is inappropriate for journalists to favor candidates and project that favoritism in their journalism. Wolf Blitzer always struck me as on the soft side anyway – he was hiding under the bed during the Gulf War blitz in Iraq and then he took a desk job. I remember watching that.

May 8, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. Murry - Arizona

ooops, misspelled – I meant 1/2 of the "Democratic" where did I get demegraphic...... Oh well, you got my drift..... :-)

May 8, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  3. Claire

It makes my heart smile to know that he is the next President of the United States!

May 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. Lourdes

Oh, Steven....you poor guy. Democracy was, in its earliest days, "radical"...and in many ways it still is. That's why we have always had to fight for it, in our country and abroad. Don't be so paranoid.

May 8, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. Sadie

Obama we love you...my advise to you do not rest keep working hard
    West V, Porto Rico, Kt, Orgon, don't stop..work like you did after PA
    do not trust no Media..no Poll OK
    Love You & America
    Obama 08

May 8, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  6. vapeople

when obama loses, one of the reasons will be his dumb and arrogant supporters

May 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. P.A. VOTER

That what we should have been doing from the start, focusing on John McSame. The bottom line is Clinton has nothing to gain and she can't win. We need to rally behind Obama, solve the michigan Florida issue, and go full steam at McSame.

May 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. Greg

Dear Ron,

And you believe Bush is a good Commander in Chief? No clear mission, cuts funding to the VA, sends tropps over without the proper equipment, denies press coverage of those killed, continually changes the goals, calims victory immaturely. What Gives? 27 years served so far and deploying again this fall. I would be proud to have either Hillary of Barack as my Commander in Chief, as least they would be engaged and have real goals, and would start pre-emptive wars

May 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Cheryl L. Swaim

A crown will look nice on his head.

May 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Pebs/Maryland

This is a response to LindaMay 8th, 2008 4:16 pm ET

I bet he does seem at ease. He doesn't have a CLUE about the urgency of our problems so it is very easy for him to sit and "talk". How about the escalation in Beirut today? He prepared to handle that? Why is he not calling meetings on his Afghan oversight committee? Oh I forgot he is too busy campaigning. His arrogance makes me sick.
    's comments

......

Has Senator Clinton called a meeting with her Afghan Oversight Committee? Oh yeah....she's campaigning also.....You are just upset because he's doing so good over her. I know what the real reason is, but I'll keep that too myself. We are americans people! Other countries are watching us act like fools. Why can't we all get this together?

May 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. Go ahead, vote for McCain

Anybody that professes to be a Democrat but will vote for McCain if Hillary loses is a complete idiot. To ignore the gap between Democrats and Republicans is pure stupidity.

May 8, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. larry King Live

who care's about experience look around you everyone in the big position's are people without experience. Its all about who u know and what you can do for them. America has become land of influncial people. People with connection not with talent.

May 8, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  13. SlimSista

HILLARY...LET IT GO..BOO BOO!!! IT'S OVER...

May 8, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  14. brandi scott

Obama has the vision we need to repair our global image!
    OBAMA 08

May 8, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. jc from ca

I thought it was the PEOPLE'S right to annoint the nominee, not the media. Why can't we just let this play out, if Obama hangs on then he is that more tested and strong to compete against McBush. If Hillary is the choice, she will also benefit from the tough fight. Including CNN, the media will get it's nominees when the people are ready, not based on Wolf's 'interview'. John King....you totally rock, best of the best unbiased and a true reporter.

May 8, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Uncle Sam

Whom would your prefer as your president, the candidate whose emotions are available to be witnessed or the one whose emotions are never seen?

May 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. Shelsea Lav

Pls my love, Obama be strong and go to W virginia and campagn ok
    because it's all about us ( people) we can make you the winner there also. ok
    Goooooo and talk to them ..they love you..you might win.
    We Love our country & Obama
    Obama08

May 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. Luke

Hey Jack i started watching CNN after listening to your analysis. Stay put!

May 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Colleen McCloskey

yes – ignorance and naivety are bliss
    Hillary will prevail !!!!!!

May 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. Democrats Rule

He just gets better and better and better. Really, I believe President Obama is exactly what America needs right this minute. It has been clear for some time that Senator Obama has a "date with destiny" and we are really now starting to see why! Just what we need when we need it.

May 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  21. Nick from Madison

“But it would be presumptuous of me at this point when she is still actively running, when she is highly favored to win two of the next three contests, for me to somehow suggest that she should be a running mate.”

Incredible. He manages to compliment her, while at the same time allow her to run in the race even though it is virtually impossible for her to win. Even while commenting on her, "I would let him be my running mate" fiasco. I love his ability to look at a situation and blame no one; just look for an answer.

I really feel like he would be the best candidate for this place and time in history.

May 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  22. rick

once again we get knee jerk attitudes from people who have their own agenda as to how this country should be run. that said the bigger problem is that most white people see obama as some sort of flash in the pan..and the way he's being protrad is solely unfair also we need to address the attitude the breeds this type of closet racism that exist ..mr blitzer say minutes ago that obama gets really mad at a statement mad by mccain and i'm still waiting to see that.. proving that white people have no idea who blacks are or even how we think. what white people should be upset about is how during the Indiana and so to be w.Virginia primary is how the news refers to Clinton's base in most of those areas as uneducated whites who have no high school diplomas...

May 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  23. Independent

He was at ease because he will be our next President. His answers were claer, concis, and honest, unlike Hillary clinton!

May 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Kate

I'm just curious about something.. When in his political career did
    Barak Obama become just black? Why don't we ever hear him
    talk positively about his white heritage? Maybe, it was when he
    stopped calling himself Barry and started calling himself Barak.
    Quite a slap in the face to his mother and grandmother who
    raised him that he doesn't even recognize he comes from
    them too.

May 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. joneser23

The Chicago mafia? Community Organizer? Clueless foreign policy? A used car salesman that went to Harvard on an academic scholarship? The guy is a U.S. Senator. You're entitled to your opinion, but trust me – educated opinions are much more convincing. Whomever you support, it doesn't matter, as long as you educate yourselves so you can make an informed decision. Go to the candidate's web sites and actually read what their positions are. Obama's Blueprint For Change is an extremely detailed, deep document that outlines his specific accomplishments and proposals on many important issues, including foreign policy. I don't agree with all of them, but I know what they are. Same for McCain. Go to his web site. It's full of information. Find out. Don't your children deserve that commitment from you? Don't you deserve it? Thanks.

May 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |