May 8th, 2008

Clinton touts support from 'white Americans'

Clinton campaigned in Washington Thursday.
Clinton campaigned in Washington Thursday.

(CNN) - In what appear to be the New York senator's most blunt comments to date regarding a racial division in the Democratic presidential race, Hillary Clinton suggested Wednesday that "White Americans" are increasingly turning away from Barack Obama’s candidacy.

"I have a much broader base to build a winning coalition on," Clinton said in an interview with USA TODAY.

Clinton cited an Associated Press poll "that found how Senator Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me."

"There's a pattern emerging here," she said.

Exit polls from Tuesday's primaries in Indiana and North Carolina show Clinton won about 60 percent of the white vote in both states. That percentage is down from the Ohio primary on March 4, in which Clinton won upwards of 65 percent of the white vote. Meanwhile, Clinton garnered 63 percent of the white vote in Pennsylvania on April 22.

Speaking with the paper, Clinton rejected the notion her comments were racially divisive in any way.

"These are the people you have to win if you're a Democrat in sufficient numbers to actually win the election," she said. "Everybody knows that."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton called Clinton's statements "not true and frankly disappointing."

soundoff (1,572 Responses)
  1. Fed_up2

She has finally made race an issue in her faltering campaign. I hope all media sources question her on this rude and divisive statement. There is absolutely nothing this woman will not do or say in her quest for the presidency. Her thirst for power is truly frightening.

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Venus

Hillary- stop going so low! The race is over and you won't win without the black voters! Right now you are only getting about 8% of black votes!

You are bent on killing your own party! The republicans are reading every word you say and it's going to come back and be used against us!

Go Obama!

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. H-ROD

does that mean that only the dumb white people will vote for Hillary Clinton, but those are the same dumb whie people that put George Bush in office and how's that working out foe us. Hillary must go!!!!! (yes Obama can ) !!!!

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  4. Marshall

"hard-working Americans, white Americans"

That sounds a little Redneck.

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Ohio Observer

Disgusting. Just when I stated to feel sorry for her...

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. Ernesto Lopez

Oh my Gosh, I think we're starting to see how racist this woman really is, and I don't buy it, if she had more support she would be wining, but she's losing in the popular vote, delegates and pretty much everything.

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. Frosty

Oh, let her stay so she can destroy the democratic party. She's pathetic! The more I know of her the more repulsive she becomes... If that is even possible. How about that 5th of a cent holiday gas tax reduction I was promised? hahaha

Los Angeles, CA.

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. Lawrence for barack

wow Clinton playing the race card here again, The CLINTONS WILL DO ANYTHING TO WIN thats a shame

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Rich

The race card. Look to Hillary to sink to new lows to claim the nomination.

May 8, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. JB - NYC

Wooo Hooo!

May 8, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS WOMAN ANYMORE

I'm done with Hillary. Done.

May 8, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. jAYjAY

she can't help herself.
    Her automatic heir to the presidency is dimishing and reality takes a while. she is going to need therapy for PCSD.....post campaign stress disorder

May 8, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  13. Mike - WA

We do???

May 8, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. L and I'm out peace

Hillary Clinton is getting the white vote and is losing big the black vote. There is no pattern emerging here," she said. But that she is a racist by making these type of comments. Read this for yourself and see what you thing of what she says here.

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  15. Alex M

I'm white, and I don't want you Hillary.

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. iwilliams

Message to the All super delegates she has snapped, she has divide the party very badly. How could she make that statement about white americans. We all has forgotten that he is white too. His skin color only makes him look african american. My advise too you is to shut her down, because she is making alot of us very angry with that racial comment.

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. MOU FASI

I sincerely hope Mrs Clinton is going to get through this mentally intact. She seem to want this more than anything in the world ever. If I could find away to give it to her, I would. She really wants this... but for what reason. That is the 11.4 million dollar question.

Go Dems 08/12

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. Chut Pata

Who is playing the race card here? It will fail like the gender card she played.

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Brooklyn

Desperation at its best...Hillary, for the love of God..please bow out now and stop creating further devisive tactics!

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. JB

Good grief.

Perhaps true, but a moronic thing to say.

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. A rational human being

Hillary Clinton showing her true "colors"?

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. ross

This woman is a disgrace to all women.

May 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. Lucy in Illinois

I am a white female and I want Barack Obama. Hillbilly is a big disappointment.

May 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. Darth Vadik, CA

Now she deffinetly lost the African-American vote.

Hillary what the hell is the matter with you?

May 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. maci, Europe

This is sad, very very sad for America. And you want to regain leadership in the world? With the Clintons: never.

May 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |