May 8th, 2008

Clinton touts support from 'white Americans'

Clinton campaigned in Washington Thursday.
Clinton campaigned in Washington Thursday.

(CNN) - In what appear to be the New York senator's most blunt comments to date regarding a racial division in the Democratic presidential race, Hillary Clinton suggested Wednesday that "White Americans" are increasingly turning away from Barack Obama’s candidacy.

"I have a much broader base to build a winning coalition on," Clinton said in an interview with USA TODAY.

Clinton cited an Associated Press poll "that found how Senator Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me."

"There's a pattern emerging here," she said.

Exit polls from Tuesday's primaries in Indiana and North Carolina show Clinton won about 60 percent of the white vote in both states. That percentage is down from the Ohio primary on March 4, in which Clinton won upwards of 65 percent of the white vote. Meanwhile, Clinton garnered 63 percent of the white vote in Pennsylvania on April 22.

Speaking with the paper, Clinton rejected the notion her comments were racially divisive in any way.

"These are the people you have to win if you're a Democrat in sufficient numbers to actually win the election," she said. "Everybody knows that."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton called Clinton's statements "not true and frankly disappointing."

soundoff (1,572 Responses)
  1. Opal T

Once again the Clinton's are playing the race card. I guess once she gets the backfire form this awful comment it will be something that was taken out of context. Once again shame on HILLARY11111

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  2. Maggie

Not THIS white American! Her true colors (you should excuse the expression) are showing.

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  3. Save us from Hillary

If the fates smile upon us, she will not even be considered to be his Vice Presidential running mate.

Go Obama!

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  4. Liz from the Big O

It was only a matter of time until Hillary Clinton got desperate enought to mention race by name. She risks alienating the 25% of the party that are blacks. This proves she will stop at nothing to seize power against the wishes of the electorate. She is as bad as the Bushes!

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  5. Carol

I'm a white American, and I voted for Obama. It's time Hillary called it quits.

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. Mark-TX

Really? I thought the people you had to win in sufficient numbers to win the election were.... Americans. My mistake. White Americans it is, according to Clinton.

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. Jim from Seattle

wow.....after all this time she shows her real cards.........
    Hitlery KKKlinton.......

si se puede 2008/2012!!!!!

8. KDC

This White American is not supporting Clinton....and many many others that I know are not either.....

This is a presidential race, not a racial contest.....

9. TK

Thanks to you HRC, you are dividing the country by race. Are you suggesting white Americans would be too racist to vote for Obama, so you should be the nominee? I think this has been your plan all along, to alienate Obama from the white majority so that you would have a chance in 2012. I, for one, will not forget your shrewd ways.

10. Matt

Is she still even a Democrat? She should be ashamed.

11. Addis - observer

Race card!! That is dangerous not only for the DNC, but for America as a whole. Somebody should tell the woman to shut the ... up!

12. Dee Dee T

Wow... Is Hillary a republican???

13. Antoinette, Houston, TX

So, is Hillary saying that the only vote that determines a presidential elections is the "white vote"?

Wow!!! I guess she waited until she conned as many Mexican and Latino-Americans as possible before saying that. Well, I can't say that I'm shocked to hear that from her! :(

14. Adam

Yea, Hillary, the emerging pattern is that uneducated people vote for you, and the college educated vote for Barack.

Great stat to flaunt.

15. Steve, Chelsea, MI

I'm white, and I support Barack Obama.

I will vote for the Democratic nominee in November, of course, but I will not be a happy Hillary supporter if she's on the ballot.

16. Apryl

Oh and i guess the black vote doesn't matter. She really is a horrible human being. She's only thinking of herself right now. Forget the democratic party and forget America in the process. So much for a graceful exit.

17. Chris Salzmann

I'm white and support Obama. So I guess I'm a "lazy" and "non-working" white American according to Hillary.

This pretty much what the Clintons have always been about. Slice and dice the electorate. No wonder she's where she is today.

18. Leener

Hillary, you are a sick and desperate woman.

19. carlo

Please oh please tell me she didn't say that. I was feeling sorry for her, I really was, because I know how badly she wants this. I will not, however, feel sympathy for someone who thinks so little of this country that she believes that her supporters would refuse to support Obama for no other reason except the fact that he's black.

Even with their race-baiting, I gave her and bill more credit than this.

20. Ernie

No Racism in America? Yeah Right...................

May 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Cris

As a white, educated, middle-aged woman, this remark really offends me....as I am sure it does thousands of others!!!

Go Obama! You are the nominee!

May 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. Ezana

I like how the media is selling blue collar Americans short, by saying they're to backward to vote for Obama. What a crock!

May 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  23. Shelly Lee

Sometimes the truth hurts, but it is reality............
    We want Hillary! How can anyone ever forget the comments of Rev. Wright? Is that the change that America really wants? That is what you will get.

May 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  24. Unsure

This woman is shameless and will go to any extreme for a vote. I'm a Democrat who is now considering a leap to the dark side

May 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  25. doodle

Somebody PLEASE stop this woman before she destroys the entire Democratic party. What is her problem????? If she wants to leave this contest wtih any respect or dignity, she needs to figure out how to bow out gracefully and stop bashing the likely nominee!

May 8, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |