May 8th, 2008

Clinton touts support from 'white Americans'

Clinton campaigned in Washington Thursday.
Clinton campaigned in Washington Thursday.

(CNN) - In what appear to be the New York senator's most blunt comments to date regarding a racial division in the Democratic presidential race, Hillary Clinton suggested Wednesday that "White Americans" are increasingly turning away from Barack Obama’s candidacy.

"I have a much broader base to build a winning coalition on," Clinton said in an interview with USA TODAY.

Clinton cited an Associated Press poll "that found how Senator Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me."

"There's a pattern emerging here," she said.

Exit polls from Tuesday's primaries in Indiana and North Carolina show Clinton won about 60 percent of the white vote in both states. That percentage is down from the Ohio primary on March 4, in which Clinton won upwards of 65 percent of the white vote. Meanwhile, Clinton garnered 63 percent of the white vote in Pennsylvania on April 22.

Speaking with the paper, Clinton rejected the notion her comments were racially divisive in any way.

"These are the people you have to win if you're a Democrat in sufficient numbers to actually win the election," she said. "Everybody knows that."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton called Clinton's statements "not true and frankly disappointing."

soundoff (1,572 Responses)
  1. Andrew

Racist, uneducated people for Clinton!

2. mike

oh no they don't, not all. whatta zap, talk about racial profiling!

3. Martha

There you have it. The race card being played once again by the Clintons. Bill Clinton cried about the race card the first time and now HRC crying again. How divisive, HRC America is tired of the old politics of the race card. Go away, please.

4. Colie Brice

OMG! Who's the elitist? THIS is a master of diplomacy and inclusion?

Give it up.. This is disgraceful behaviour..

5. Josh

If this isn't grasping for straws, I don't know what is – warm up the bus, she's finished!

6. Carlie

Oh my! Hillary is losing it! Can someone take her by the hand and lead her out, please. She is really looking pathetic.

7. Jenny

I am a white woman who didn't finish college and I would never vote for Hillary Clinton. Nice try Hillary...

8. so ironic

This is disgusting! How is this helping unite the party?

9. Premos

If the majority of uneducated white American supports Clinton, does it mean that unedicated whtie Amercian are easily fooled?

10. kim

That is it ! I didn't even read the whole article.All I had to see was her saying "white America" needs,wants her to stay in the race.
    That's enough from her.This white female older "American" wants her out ! I'm sick of her using the race card.
    Please post my comment CNN,because you never do when I post and I feel strongly about this.

11. V

I'm white and I don't want you.

12. OMG!

I cannot believe they are really going there

13. kathie

Superdelegates...come to our rescue. Get this woman out of the race before she does any more damage to our nominee.

14. GCG - Austin, TX

WHO is using the race card now?

15. chicago chris

Hillary is at it again. Saying anything to win. Look at the official popular vote and tell me how, if she has all the white support needed to win, she is still down?

16. Stop that Woman

why doesn't she mention that she only gets 2% of the black vote. i am so sick of her recist campaign tactics.

May 8, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. Derek From New Orleans

u stupid lady your can't win.you're destoring the party. just stop

May 8, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. Olivier

We know who to blame the next republican president on!

May 8, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  19. Pete

You're right, Hillary, there is a pattern emerging here. You've now become George Wallace and shown just how racist some Democrats can actually be. Well done.

May 8, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  20. Norb

Maybe she should take a cue from Mitt Romney. He too spent a fortune of his own money and where did he end up? Maybe Hillary will pull a Lieberman and run as a independent? Maybe she can join the Nadar ticket!

May 8, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  21. crooksandliars

This is THE most outrageous statement. Why isn't the MSM asking what the hell she means by it? What is she saying about all the NON-White Americans???? How is she getting away with this????

May 8, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  22. Hillary the Chameleon

It is truly sad to see the Clintons become such a divisive force. A family that once was the light of the Democratic party is now nothing more than a bitter and arrogant family that has become delusional in their quest for power. At least now their true colors are coming to the light. I am so glad that they are TOAST!

May 8, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  23. Dana Irlbacher

Hillary Clinton's "hard-working white voters want me" posture is shocking and positively despicable. And here I was, a white, college-educated Obama supporter, willing to vote for her if for some awful reason he lost the nomination. But NOW, never! She's clearly trying to break in two not only our Democratic party but our countrymen and women – and our hearts – and I deeply resent it.

She needs to get out of this race immediately and re-think her political career . Baking cookies sounds about all she's good for now....

May 8, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  24. Anti-Clinton!

In my opinion she has just minimized how far we have come concerning racism. White Americans are not the only ones in this country, and why does it always have to be about what White Americans want. We are supposed to be one nation under God, and they have turned this race into White against Black, as it has always been. That is not Godly at all to me.

Also, I read the comments on this websites everyday. Clinton’s supporters are always calling Obama's supporters hateful and mean. But the Clinton supporters make some pretty racists comments on this site. This election has proven that racism is still alive and well in some!

May 8, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  25. Stop that Woman

She give 2 craps about the democratic party..she is causing the division...bigot

May 8, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |