May 8th, 2008

Clinton: West Virginia a must-win for Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton says West Virginia is a test for her and Sen. Barack Obama.

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told West Virginia supporters Thursday morning that any Democratic nominee needed to win their state to claim the presidency - and that every successful candidate since Woodrow Wilson had.

“It’s a test for me, and it’s a test for Sen. Obama because for too long we have let places like West Virginia slip out of the Democratic column,” said Clinton at a rally in the state capitol, during her second day of campaigning in the state.

“...I think the hard working voters of West Virginia represent the heart and soul of the Democratic Party and the backbone of our victory in November.”

Amid questions of whether she can still win the nomination, Clinton argued that she is beating Obama with the groups of people McCain will be targeting in the Fall – Catholics, Hispanics, blue-collar workers and senior citizens. Clinton also called McCain a "formidable" opponent.

“We’re going to have a run a vigorous, victorious campaign in November. That’s why I am building such a strong and broad coalition among the states and among the voters we must have to deliver the White House.

“This is a little like deja vu all over again,” Clinton told the crowd. “Some in Washington wanted us to end our campaign and then I won New Hampshire. Then we had huge victories on Super Tuesday. Then we won Ohio and Texas and Pennsylvania. And I was never supposed to win Indiana. Well, I am running to be president of all 50 states.”

1. Darth Vadik, CA

She's still around,
    oh well whatever

May 8, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. Dave in Atlanta

So basically every state in which Clinton does well is a "must win" state, and every state she loses "doesn't count really"?

May 8, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. Victory for Hillary

GO HILLARY GO!!!!!!

You have every right to continue your campaign. FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED!!

If not Hillary – I will vote for McCAIN!!!!

May 8, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  4. FreshAir

LOL! Hillary should get a show on Comedy Central.

May 8, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. Frank

It is official- Sen. Clinton has lost her mind!

May 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. The Truth

Blaa bla bla blabla!

May 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Ohio for Obama

hahaha, she's still trying to win...oh brother, our own huckle-hillbilly

May 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  8. obama supporter

HILLARY
    EVER STATE IS A TEST FOR YOR, HELL YEA

GO BAKE BILL SOME COOKIES BEFORE HE=====

May 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. gurarro

Why are you still reporting what HRC is saying? She has LOST the nomination. Get over it !!! Time to move on !!!

May 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. proud army and navy mom

okay, old girl, you are done. the ignorant and the bigots that support you need to realize this

May 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. Jane

For all 50 states, or only the ones with "hard working, white Americans"? This woman is a deceitful, cunning, vicious liar - NOT a President. If she wins the nomination, it will be a disgrace and black eye for all Americans. If you think the last 8 years of George Bush were bad, then wait til you see years 8-12 of Clinton.

May 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. Bull

Its disgusting to hear what she says. Drop out of the race and save your face.

May 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. Lilly

Did someone take her Bi-Polar meds from her again? Give them back to her because she's not making since again.

May 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. Missouri

W. Virginia is a beautiful state and nice people.

Please vote for Hillary Clinton.

Why?

She is experienced, for all the people, and a fighter.

She cares about all races of people.

We need a strong president. Please vote for Hillary.

Hillary 08 :)

May 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Joyce in Florida

I am so proud of you Senator Clinton for fighting to be our next President. You are by far the most qualified candidate to run against John McCain. I believe that you will win the nomination because there are alot of supporters behind you. Even though there have been some difficult results, I am not giving up on you. I know that you are not giving up on the American people either. We see that in you day by day and my admiration for your tenacity against all odds is amazing. I will continue to donate when I can and support you in your campaign until you get into the White House. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. CitizenAJ

This woman is dillusional. I never was on the Hilary Clinton for President bandwagon but I respected her. Even willing to vote for her if Senator Obama did not win the nomination because I don't want John McCain, the third term of Bush, in the White House. But her comments, her bitter approach to winning at all cost has COMPLETELY turned me off. Her comments in another article posted on CNN.com stating that "hard working white Americans" support her is borderline racist. I don't think she meant it the way it sounded but it sounds like she is saying all others are not hard working, including the Latinos that support her so much. I am floored with the woman. I definitely do not want her to win this nomination and DEFINITELY not the White House.

May 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  17. Josh

"Well, I am running to be president of all 50 states.”

I thought she was only running for president of the big states, the important states? Cuz if she's running for president of all 50, she needs to go back and look at how many states she's actually won...

May 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  18. LA Ben

Yeah, as everyone knows, West Virginia is the key to the White House.....whatever.

May 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. Dennis

Victory for Hillary: Please, go vote for McCain. Vote for eternity in Iraq, vote for continuation of Bush's economic policies. You aren't going to vote for a black man in a billion years, so you weren't invited to the party, anyway.

Maybe you'll get REALLY lucky and Ron "White Power" Paul will run as an indy and you can vote for him.

May 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. Lilly

Did someone take Hillary's Bi-Polar meds from her again? Give them back to her because she's not making since again.

May 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. joyce

NEWS BREAK

obama is 8 super dele. behind clinton

signing out good day to you

May 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. NO-BAMA

AS LONG AS SHE DOES NOT QUIT...

NEITHER WILL I.

FULL SPEED AHEAD SENATOR – WE GOT YOUR BACK.

HRC 08

May 8, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. Janet,

As to Hillary it's not over until the Fat Lady Sings. Hillary, the Fat Lady Sung and the Bar is Closed! Your bar tab is $200M+, or wash dishes, mop floors, and bake cookies, or go house to house of those who like your Accounting skills! 2 = 2 =2 =2====2???

May 8, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  24. Bobby tray

This woman has the same thought process as football team owner Al Davis in the 1970 and n1980. The Oakland Raiders were known for their cheap shots. Al would just have the montage; just win baby. Clinton will do anything to try to win. It does not matter who she alienates or "cozy up" to. She wants to win at all costs. I do not think it is for the betterment of America, but her personaly story and legacy. I am beginning to see a lot similarities between her and other REPUBLICAN politicians and pundits. It is not true what she said about Indiana, she was always the favorite there. . .

May 8, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Pandering

dishonest, race baiter, blackmailer, sour loser, power grabber...enough is enough...Just go home Hill & Bill

May 8, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |