May 8th, 2008

Clinton: West Virginia a must-win for Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton says West Virginia is a test for her and Sen. Barack Obama.

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told West Virginia supporters Thursday morning that any Democratic nominee needed to win their state to claim the presidency - and that every successful candidate since Woodrow Wilson had.

“It’s a test for me, and it’s a test for Sen. Obama because for too long we have let places like West Virginia slip out of the Democratic column,” said Clinton at a rally in the state capitol, during her second day of campaigning in the state.

“...I think the hard working voters of West Virginia represent the heart and soul of the Democratic Party and the backbone of our victory in November.”

Amid questions of whether she can still win the nomination, Clinton argued that she is beating Obama with the groups of people McCain will be targeting in the Fall – Catholics, Hispanics, blue-collar workers and senior citizens. Clinton also called McCain a "formidable" opponent.

“We’re going to have a run a vigorous, victorious campaign in November. That’s why I am building such a strong and broad coalition among the states and among the voters we must have to deliver the White House.

“This is a little like deja vu all over again,” Clinton told the crowd. “Some in Washington wanted us to end our campaign and then I won New Hampshire. Then we had huge victories on Super Tuesday. Then we won Ohio and Texas and Pennsylvania. And I was never supposed to win Indiana. Well, I am running to be president of all 50 states.”

1. bigben

enjoy your 30+ point lose next week. obamaloser

May 8, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. Liberty

LIAR!

You said all the small "red" states that Obama won were irrelevant.

Shame on you Hillary Clinton! Shame on you!

May 8, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  3. John Beatrice

Hillary give me back the $55 I sent you last week. You are a fraud. You took my $55 and promised me a gas break of og $28. What a shame. I regret ever supporting you.

May 8, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. hmmmmm.....sounds fishy

here we go again

May 8, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Media blackout Date May 15th

Has the Gimmick Candidate announced she will formally name West Virginia 'the white’s only safety zone' to get the nomination yet?

Hillary Clinton, the Gimmick Candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything '08 !

May 8, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. Florida Guy

I can't think of anything more undemocratic than this process that hillary is trying to create. She wants to throw out the millions of votes that have been cast and just have a few hundred party insiders support her in spite of the primary results.

May 8, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  7. Tony

As much as i like and admire you Hillary, I have a word of advice; SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Let's all get behind Obama now, it's OVER.

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Media blackout Date May 15th

Has the Gimmick Candidate announced she will officially make the delegate count to 5,294 to add all her white racist friends living on planet 'Hillaryland' yet?

Hillary Clinton, the Gimmick Candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything '08 !

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. James

Hillary, I would give you some African Voodoo so you can spin the race around by getting the super delegates to vote in your favor.

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. Curious

Will people not support Obama if he beats Hillary because he is black?

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. Peter

Yes...everyone knows that Obama is sooo heavily favoured in West Virginia that if Hillary wins by 2% then ...well then that's ir she is the nominee and she will be made queen!

Dear West Virginia: She is calling you STUPID!

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  12. Coleman

It's a must win for her, but it's not a test.

We know she's going to win WV and KY by a large margin- we've known it for quite some time.

Hillary, you're always trying to redefine reality- this is SO much like Bush.

That's why folks don't trust you- you're a manipulator.

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  13. JacknJill

EVERY state has been Hillary's 'MUST WIN' state.
    I am so sick of her and Bill!
    Now she's dividing us by race.
    Get her OUT of here!

May 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. oliver

The test is over and you FAILED!

15. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Fact: Rewind the Bush verses McCain debate which gives either democrat ammunition to beat McCain. Hillary is using Karl Rove fear tactics along with some other ugly tactics of divisiveness. It's becoming very difficult for myself and others to continue our respect for Hillary as a former First Lady.

16. Derrick Martin

Time for the white jacket with funny sleeves. She has lost it. .

17. Media blackout Date May 15th

Has the Gimmick Candidate announced as of today, all residents of MARS must be counted before the primary season is officially over yet?

Hillary Clinton, the Gimmick Candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything '08 !

18. Tim

This is uncalled for. I am very disappointed and saddened right now. I am an Obama supporter and although I would have been upset for Senator Clinton get the nomination without earning it, I in no way would vote for John McCain. You know I really thought that it made sense to let this continue till June. However, if this is the kind of stuff we have to look forward to, I think it's time for Howard Dean to step in and the Super Delegates to step in to end this. This cannot be allowed to continue for the good of the party.

Democrat 08
    Let’s unite to fight!!!!

May 8, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. As the Clinton's Turn.....

Hillary: Look at me, Look at me.....

Obama: McCain is 4 more years of Bush policies...

McCain: Rev. Wright.....Rev. Wright....Hamas....

Hillary: Look at me....Look at me....I'm over here.....Please look at me.....

Obama: Hey John – you hear something?

McCain: Yeah kinda.....I think.....Nah it's just Rev. Wright...

Obama: Yeah maybe you're right....or maybe it's 4 more years of Bush policies....YES WE CAN!!!

Hillary: Why won't anyone listen to me anymore....Please, Please....Look at me – I'm here in West Virgina....

To be continued:.....LOL!!!!!!!

20. Pam

Every state that she wins (or thinks she will win) is a "must win" for democrats. The states that she loses are not important. Nice try, Hillary. Now go home and lick your wounds.

21. Josh from Georgia

I wish Hitlery would just fall off the face of the earth already. Forget pushing her out of the race; push her off the planet.

22. Army and navy mom

Kiss off. Remarks like you just made makes me even more dedicated to voting for McCain.

23. democrats

I am a 54 y/o white female lifelong democrat voting the party line since I was 18- but not this time.

I will never vote for Obama- not because of race (I am in an interacial relationship) and not because of Wright (governments DO lie, and I have been listening to Dylan, Baez and Buffy Sainte-Marie sing the same tune since I was 13).

I DO believe that Obama sold himself and his beliefs out when he denounced Wright. Thus proving Wright correct that Obama will say and do whatever it takes as a politician to win. This also contradicted Obama's entire message of truth and transparency and a new type of politician. He distanced himself from Wright not based on substance and spirit of the politics expressed, but for political expediency. That makes Obama the very worst lying hypocrit running.

This is why I will not vote for Obama:
    DNC pre-selected him and supported him while they handicapped Hillary Clinton. The playing field was unfair.

I did not care for the blatent gender bias- actually very ugly gender hatred shown Hillary Clinton throughout this primary.

Obama falsely and prematurely declared himself a uniter- then went on to divide democrats by race, age, gender, income, geography and education. He played the race card early and often. Thus he divided rather than united.

Obama ran on a platform of change, but went EVEN more negative in ads than Clinton. He just had the media and the party's support in doing so. He mocked and ridiculed Hillary with the Annie Oakley comments and brushing her off his shoulders. Many of us found that arrogant, cocky and most of all NOT presidential. It reminded us of Bush. I did not see similar cocky, demeaning brash arrogance from Clinton.

The caucus format was undemocratic and not only favored Obama's demographic, but also permitted his supporters to abuse the system. They used bully tactics to discourage Clinton voters. That is cheating and I can not support that with my vote.

Ruling out Fl and Mi also further handicapped Clinton as she was strong in both states. Another unfair advantage to Obama- who actually ran ads in Fl and then lawyered up to prevent a revote. Thus positioning himself on the side of cheating to win and disenfranchising the voters who were not for him.

Finally, African Americans are demanding an Obama win. You all should worry as much about women and the elderly breaking ranks.

And it all could have been avoided by not fixing this primary, trusting the voters, letting people vote and counting ALL the votes.

Now, people will never believe that it was a fair process- caucus, no Fl and Mi, and gender hatred all impeded Clinton.

24. Cecil

Hillary just go home! i'm sure if congress asks you about your campain a year or two from now you will just say "I don't remember" or "I don't recall". I have never seen the Razerbacks , giants or even the cubs what to change the rules just because their behind.

My advice to you Hillary is go find monicia and you and bill can have a good ol' time.

25. Roger

Shoo! Obama flies go away!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11