May 8th, 2008

Clinton: West Virginia a must-win for Democrats

Sen. Hillary Clinton says West Virginia is a test for her and Sen. Barack Obama.

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (CNN) – Hillary Clinton told West Virginia supporters Thursday morning that any Democratic nominee needed to win their state to claim the presidency - and that every successful candidate since Woodrow Wilson had.

“It’s a test for me, and it’s a test for Sen. Obama because for too long we have let places like West Virginia slip out of the Democratic column,” said Clinton at a rally in the state capitol, during her second day of campaigning in the state.

“...I think the hard working voters of West Virginia represent the heart and soul of the Democratic Party and the backbone of our victory in November.”

Amid questions of whether she can still win the nomination, Clinton argued that she is beating Obama with the groups of people McCain will be targeting in the Fall – Catholics, Hispanics, blue-collar workers and senior citizens. Clinton also called McCain a "formidable" opponent.

“We’re going to have a run a vigorous, victorious campaign in November. That’s why I am building such a strong and broad coalition among the states and among the voters we must have to deliver the White House.

“This is a little like deja vu all over again,” Clinton told the crowd. “Some in Washington wanted us to end our campaign and then I won New Hampshire. Then we had huge victories on Super Tuesday. Then we won Ohio and Texas and Pennsylvania. And I was never supposed to win Indiana. Well, I am running to be president of all 50 states.”

1. K

Let's see......Obama people say don't count Michigan and Florida b/c they broke the rules. Yet, the rules are Hillary can continue her campaign until 2,025 delegates are won by Obama; however, Obama maniacs are saying she needs to quit. You can't form the rules to fit your agenda so get over it.

May 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Lee WV

As a lifelong resident of WV I know how much this is BS.WV will go with the candidate that gun owners and hunters want to go with.1980 WV was the only state to go against Ronald Reagan.She said the same thing about PA and OH.She will win the WV primary but WV will play little of a role in the General.

May 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. marie

Hillary is the person who is electable!!!!!

May 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Norma

Go Hilary and dont give up. The game is not finished yet. Obama is till weak and you can beat him and his wife tiger

May 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Delaware

Gas tax Holiday is polical manipulation. America can't you what that woman is doing?

May 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Hillary supporter

to Dennis–you will find out how crucial those states are in November–welcome to McCain country! Hillary is a better person than I–at least she will be voting democratic. As for me and mine–you Obamabots do not seem to want or need our votes! Good luck with your "skimpy demographics" (african American and wealthy elites) And go ahead and call me racist-it isn,t true. You people are the racists.

May 8, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Mike NYC

Why wasnt NC a must win?

May 8, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Joe in WV

And why dear Hillary is WV's 5 electoral college votes NECESSARY to win the White House? West Virginia will support Obama in the fall...it is a democratic state - almost always goes democrat. It went republican the last two election cycles partially becuase the previous Clinton sex fiasco in the White House totally disgraced the Office of the President.

I never want to see a Clinton in the White House again. I'll vote for McCain if Obama doesn't get the nod.

May 8, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Gordon

All you Obama freacks make me SICK..you are out of touch, out of place, and in outer space...get a grip people..the race card will not make Obama a winner....facts will

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Cheryl L. Swaim

As the Clinton's Turn, you liked her when she fought for what you wanted, didn't you? Now, you'll dump her and denigrate her to justify your dump. One of the reasons I won't vote for Obama is because of people like you. Look at me, too. There are lots of us.
    Nobama '08

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Kyle

You people who call yourself's dems who will vote for McCain is Hillary can't win are terrible people. You would rather vote a 3rd term for Bush then vote to progress our nation from the failed policies of yesterday. You people make me sick. Hillary supporters are just as delusional as she is about reality.

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. Thomas

Its already over, and because Obama is the democrats "leader" now I must switch parties... His supporters are nasty to Clinton, but thats the change the democrats voted for... a change for "Hate in 08"

McCane 08'

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  13. Phyllis in Buffalo

Dave in Atlanta:

I couldn't agree with you more...I was going to say the same thing.

Can someone please get rid of this woman? Where is Bill....can't he get her to come home? GEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!!!

May 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. NoMoreBillorHillaryClintonInWhiteHouse

Now West Virginia is important state wha a joke, whe knows she is favoured there, she want us to believe the 14 states she won are very important but the 32 states obama won are not important and yet she also says she is runing for 50 states what is it this woman is a joke she needs prozak or something she is losing it.

May 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Rich

If it is a "must-win" state, then please don't divide the Democratic base there. The trend is an ever increasing amount of your supporters saying they won't support Obama. Please take responsibility for your actions. Please?

May 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. MMN - Milwaukee WI

Come June 3rd Clinton will offer to change the rules again. She might buy a couple of states from Mexico and add them in the union for more primaries to see if she can get the nomination

May 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  17. Oregon For Obama

I am a white American Hillary and Surprise! Surprise! Obama all the way.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

May 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Independent

But, but, Hillary, it isn't a big state – you already told us that only the big states matter! I'm so confused, the spin, THE SPIN!!!

Someone wake me up when it's over, please?

May 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. HH

Its over, you should of thought of small states when you were ahead not when you are badly behind.

May 8, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Audrey in SF

This is now beyond ridiculous. To hell with the other 49 states, WEST VIRGINIA is what matters now!

Oh. My. Goodness.

Someone put this woman out of her misery.

May 8, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. Jane

Hillary the comedian.

May 8, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  22. voter

You people don't know how to read. She said it is a must win for the democrats in November, not a must win for her next week.

May 8, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Mia

Any true Clinton supporter who will support McCain is clearly not a reasonable person – John and Hillary are complete opposites.

Barack and Hillary agree on almost every policy issue – so if you were with Hillary because of her policy and you are now saying you will support McCain who is the TOTAL OPPOSITE of Hillary you are not being reasonable!

McCain = endless war in Iraq
    McCain = more wars
    McCain = hoping the insurance companies will give you insurance and a $5000 tax break, that doesn't cover 6 months of insurance payments on a company plan. Where are you supposed to get the front money before you get the $5000 tax break on April 15th?
    McCain = tax breaks for the wealthy
    McCain = end of Roe vs. Wade

So if you want what McCain is offering, then that means us true democrats will have to do everything we can to expand the party and get more people to participate.

May 8, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Maxine

Well according to Hillary, I don't need to vote in the GE; my vote doesn't matter. I don't fit her profile nor does anyone in my family. Thank you Hillary for letting me know that I am not an American.

May 8, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. Brian

LOl another MUST WIN from Clinton...is anyone still even listening? really?
    The only must wins from her are ones that she wins. The rest of us in the United States just don't matter to her but guess what? The majority have spoken and SHE dosen't matter Really!

May 8, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |