May 8th, 2008

Former Republican to seek Libertarian presidential nomination

Bob Barr will announce a presidential run Monday.
Bob Barr will announce a presidential run Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Republican Rep. Bob Barr will announce Monday that he will run for president as a Libertarian, a source close to the Georgian told CNN.

Barr will officially declare his candidacy at a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington. The four-term congressman left the GOP in 2006, saying that Republicans had "lost their core principles."

Barr made a name for himself in Congress for his ardent conservative philosophy and his role in President Clinton's impeachment. He lost a primary election in 2002.

Last month, Barr formed a presidential exploratory committee as he weighed a run for the White House. The source said that Barr had been considering a presidential bid "for several months. He currently runs Liberty Strategies, a consulting firm in Atlanta and Washington.

Barr joins a handful of other candidates seeking the Libertarian Party's presidential nomination including former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel, who unsuccessfully sought the Democratic presidential nomination this year. Libertarians meet in Denver on May 22 for a four day convention where members will choose the party's presidential nominee.

Filed under: Bob Barr
  1. Glenn

Who cares?

May 8, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  2. NoMcSame

Race card again. She thinks that all of us Black folks are nuts like Nutter and will line up and vote for her if the party gives her the nomination? Go ahead Clinton and Demorcratic Party make our day. How sad it is to live in a country that is so racist that it is willing to follow this power hungry woman that is willing to take down the whole Demorcratic Party if she doesn't get her way. Go ahead America so those colors. This whole country is full of Rev. Wrights. White, Yellow, Brown and Black. America is a failure. The rest of the world can't learn anything from us except how to hate.
    So now Hillary is saying vote for me because I am White like you. A Black man could be as good and loving as Gandhi and as smart as Einstein and still not be good enough to be president of this country.
    How sad. Shame on you America.

May 8, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  3. Marshall

Who?

May 8, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. Montana is Obama Country

This is interesting...??

May 8, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

well, that only means that he'll split the GOP vote by taking away the conservative support (what little there is) from McBush.

Glad to hear it.

I hope they pick this guy. I could actually vote for Mike Gravel – some of his ideas aren't bad; never for this guy, Barr. But I'm voting for Obama specifically because I believe he is honest, sincere and will effect change in this country when he wins.

May 8, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Randy - Denver

In the past I have voted Libertarian, (I am registered independant) maybe I will go to this convention and see what they have to say this year, who knows if Ms. Clinton manages to find a way to steal the nomination from Mr. Obama I will need another candidtate I can truely support and while I can appreciate Mr. McCain's honesty and baasic trustworthyness I do not like his policies all that much.

May 8, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  7. Rom

Why not ?
    as long as that can cut into McSame votes

May 8, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Mat

WHO????

May 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  9. Venus

OH -----------YES!

This is great! Just what the Repubs need!

This should be great for our Demo-Party to beat Mc Cain because Mc Cain will be getting hit from both sides!

Go Obama!

May 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  10. Heck yeah!

Tell the neocons we want our party back!

May 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. Xavier, Washington, DC

Way to go Barr. Peel off a few votes from McCain.

May 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. Mike

Who?

May 8, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  13. Darth Vadik, CA

I loved what Borat did to him, with the cheese.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

May 8, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. Dale, Denver, CO

So a real conservative will be on the ballot. I guess I don't have to sit this election out after all.

May 8, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  15. Navy Vet.

I hope the McCain camp is watching this!

May 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. HH

Hopefully Bob Barr will be the Ralph Nader to Republicans and take 5 – 10 percent of the vote from John Insane.

May 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  17. Berat (Pronounced buh-RAHT), Park Ridge, IL

Ultimate bipartisan ticket: Barr/Gravel '08. Way more bipartisan unity in that ticket than, say, Obama/Clinton or McCain/Zombie Reagan.

May 8, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  18. Heck yeah

The neocons have invaded our party, let's teach them a lesson!

May 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  19. Baby B

Hillary should run as an Independent. I would love to see the face on NObama face when she kicks his butt.

May 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  20. Ca Native

Bob who??? LOL You'll have to fight Mike Gravel and others.

What a bunch of loons.

May 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. unions are not stupid

Oh give me a break talk about your ego trip!!!!!

May 8, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  22. Ian

Why is it funny that you don't know the very people that YOU have elected into office?

May 8, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  23. This side of the Mississippi

HUH?!?!?!
    I missed something.....

May 8, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  24. Eddie

This election will go down in history regardless of what happens.I say Hillary has officially destroyed the democratic party over her lust for power and gender biased campaign.

May 8, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  25. carl from Houston

McCain this is the guy to help Obama become president, and the bear goes on. we gonna win this thang.

May 8, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |