May 8th, 2008

Former Republican to seek Libertarian presidential nomination

Bob Barr will announce a presidential run Monday.
Bob Barr will announce a presidential run Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Republican Rep. Bob Barr will announce Monday that he will run for president as a Libertarian, a source close to the Georgian told CNN.

Barr will officially declare his candidacy at a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington. The four-term congressman left the GOP in 2006, saying that Republicans had "lost their core principles."

Barr made a name for himself in Congress for his ardent conservative philosophy and his role in President Clinton's impeachment. He lost a primary election in 2002.

Last month, Barr formed a presidential exploratory committee as he weighed a run for the White House. The source said that Barr had been considering a presidential bid "for several months. He currently runs Liberty Strategies, a consulting firm in Atlanta and Washington.

Barr joins a handful of other candidates seeking the Libertarian Party's presidential nomination including former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel, who unsuccessfully sought the Democratic presidential nomination this year. Libertarians meet in Denver on May 22 for a four day convention where members will choose the party's presidential nominee.

Filed under: Bob Barr
  1. Johnny Be Good

I wish these people would put out more information on what that party is about. I will do more research, but I do support having another party to choose from. The repugs and us Dem's do not always get it right and it would be nice to have a third party to conduct realitiy checks!!!

This also might be a REpug trick. A third party takes away votes and I think that is what they are trying to do here is split the DEM

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 8, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  2. Fired up, ready to go!

I hope you take away votes from John McCain.

May 8, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  3. Jeanne

I'll be interested in learning about all 3rd party candidates. My vote isn't spoken for yet in the general and I want the best qualified person for president.

May 8, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. Vince DelGato

"Loons" – so you're happy with the scurrent, tow party debaucle?

Your ignorance is astonishing. Fool.

May 8, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. TEXAN FOR THE NAKED TRUTH.

COME GENERAL POWELL STEP UP TO THE PLATE. Save us from ourselves. We know what kind of man you are. You were my Commanding General during some of my 28 years in the Army. I am a white-american if that makes any difference because it most certainly don't. The way I see it is we are all Army-Green and brothers under the skin. I do know what kind of a leader you are. These other candidates are not worthy of the Presidency. Please save us, before it is too late.

May 8, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. EC

Who is the idiot? Enough said. Let's get back to the REAL WORLD shall we?

May 8, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. Al, NY NY

Since Ralph the crusader is going to take votes away from the democratic candidate, it's only fair that this fool siphon off votes for McBush. I wonder what fat-boy Rush and skank Couler will have to say about this. Since they really don't like McCain, will they go to Barr?

May 8, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Pat Wright

We need a voice for liberty – Bob Barr might be conservative-based but he knows that our core liberties are slipping away. Who would have thought that we'd elect and re-elect a president who sould scoff at the Geneva Convention and imprison people without a trial or charges. We need Bob Barr in the presidential race to at least discuss liberty!

May 8, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. Mark C

The funny part of this is that the Libertarian Party actually played a small role in removing Barr from Congress. They ran ads against him because of his support of the war on drugs.

May 8, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. voter

This is good! Barr (whoever he is?) and Nader will cancel each other out. Then it will be a more equal playing field between the dems and the republicans.

May 8, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. Sailor Ed

Bob Barr ... HE is the one the right wing would gravitate to if he was to run for the Republican Presidential Nomination ... He is somewhere between Bush and Cheney in his political ideology and may ... just may ... take votes away from McCain if he can get enough "exposure". He's intelligent and well spoken ... so he could be a "threat" as a third party candidate.

May 8, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Jason

Great job Bob! I will support you all the way. Take down McCain!

May 8, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Paul, Charlotte NC

Who?

May 8, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Marc in Quebec

Sure, why not. Just what America needs, another loon running for public office. Give me a break.

May 8, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. Ratgurl

That's great, this guy wants to run for president. Who IS he? Where has he been during the debates? What makes him think he's a better option?

Maybe I should run for president. Anybody? Anybody?

Vote for Ratgurl!

May 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. silence do good

It is nice to see some more alternatives come up for voters. After being a Hillary supporter, I have to consider who to vote for if not her IF she is forced out. Obama is out for me because I feel strongly about membership in hate groups, with racism and antisemitism, and I don't like his back door cheating and lies.

I think Obama going to be surprised at how many voters he and his followers have driven out of the DNC. Remember in november – it was HIM. Not a race issue or republicans or Rush or the media or ....

Not that I want THIS guy – I am on the search for a good liberal somewhere.

May 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Ratgurl

Wow, that's great, this guy wants to run for president. Who IS he? Where has he been during the debates? What makes him think he's a better option?

Maybe I should run for president. Anybody? Anybody?

Vote for Ratgurl!

May 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Angus McDugan

Unfortunately this guy is better than the other 3 we have to deal with...

May 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. Aaron

Thank you, Mr. Barr. It is honorable that you stand up for your conservative principles. Now it's up to the conservative base of the GOP to demonstrate whether their conservative principles are really "principles," or just rhetoric used to win an election.

'08ama

May 8, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Tina

Excuse me is the Former Republican to seek LIBERTINE nomination. He surely will be endorsed by all the "Madame".

May 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  21. Alice

mmmm . . . could be just what we need. :)

May 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  22. Danny

Bob....I think you not going to win. Other think if Hillary lose the nominee
    she going to run (PPP) People Power Party too so you think you going to beat Hillary? I think Hillary going to beat both all of your guy in general election.

May 8, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. mitchell from arkansaw

i'm an independent/libertarian,and this guy's a joke.bob barr is not a libertarian.he is a republican.and not a very good one ,at that.he needs to drop out ,now.

May 8, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. Cruz

Name for himself?

Seriously...who are you and what do you do again?
    Bob Barr couldn't win an election for the president of the community PTA let alone the white house.

May 8, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |