May 8th, 2008

Huckabee: 'I got to give Hillary some credit'

CNN

Watch Huckabee's comments Thursday.

(CNN) – Former campaign underdog Mike Huckabee said Thursday that Democrat Hillary Clinton should ignore critics pressuring her to end her presidential run, telling CNN’s John Roberts that “she entered this thing to play to the finish line.”

“It’s easy to play horse race with this and say, ‘Gosh, she ought to drop out,’” he said on CNN’s American Morning. “She’s playing by the rules that the party set, just as I played by the rules that the Republican Party set.

“You know it’s frustrating to those of us who spend all of this time, effort and money - we get our supporters out there, we play by the rules that were handed and then somebody says, ‘It looks like the way this is gonna end is different than we want, so why don’t you go ahead and quit?’”

Huckabee faced pressure to end his own White House bid after it became mathematically impossible for him to become the Republican nominee. He stayed in the race several weeks longer, winning several contests, until John McCain captured the 1,191 delegates required to claim the GOP nomination.

On Thursday, Huckabee – who endorsed McCain, and recently launched his own political action committee – said public calls for an end to the Democratic contest were premature. “Now what if you did that in major league baseball, what if we did that in NFL football, once a team has got four or five touchdowns ahead we just said, ‘Look, it’s pretty inevitable here, the math doesn’t work, let’s end the game, so is that the way we ought to play it?’

“I got to give Hillary some credit that: yeah, it doesn’t look like she’s gonna get the nomination. But she entered this thing to play to the finish line - and I think that’s what she’s attempting to do.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Mike Huckabee
  1. Taylor

Why didn't Hillary run against Bush?

May 8, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  2. TEXAN FOR THE NAKED TRUTH.

Right on Gov. Huckabee you got it right. Win, lose or draw Hillary has a right to finish the race. Besides I am hoping all us Hillary supporters will support McCain and his choice for Vice-President. I hope that choice is you. I certainly believe you are a honorable-religious man not like the the OPPONENT you will face who most certainly is not.

May 8, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  3. Oregon has Hope and wants change

Hillary Huckabee is really going to try and steal this election.....

You guys are out of your mind if you think the the one state that screwed it up for the democrats in 2000 should be the deciders in this race????

Come on ......

No one got to campaign in Florida, Hill did break the rules on that one too, they said she was there............................

Maybe even Edwards would have done better if he was able to campaign there, and I know Obama would have done better as well.

Michigan had people not even bother voting since the state we'll just call the democratic election here a beauty contest, and Obama was not even on the ballot.......

If the DNC does this, There will be a lot of Americans who will protest...

May 8, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. cathy

my comment is awaiting moderation?????????? Cnn what an Obama supporter you are. You are so one sided. Nothing I have said hasn't already been in the news. Must be Ted's way of running the show.

May 8, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. Maggie

The job of President is to be a great leader. I see Obama as a true leader, but his party is incorrect....He should have been born earlier and he and Rev. Wright could have led the Black Panthers and RULED AMERICA....Black Power to the PEOPLE.....Sounds insane doesn't it Obama supporters? That is how stupid you sound by attacking Sen. Clinton with your lies.....She WILL be a great President....We live in a Democracy...let things take it course...or are you afraid of the real outcome....Bill was right, obama sounds like a fairy tale more and more each day.....

May 8, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. alexa

I agree!! Hillary shouldn't quit! She's a fighter for the people!!

Go Hillary!!!!! (all the way!!!!!)

May 8, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Maggie

must start off saying I have no reason to vote for Obama other than he is a Democrat.

I can't wait and see what happens when all of you Obama supporters get him the nomination. This party has become divided due to ONE issue and that is the "RACE CARD". People are NOT thinking about our future.

You will get an inexperienced person as your nominee and he will lose to McCain. So when you lose your job, your home and your dignity you will have no one to blame but yourselves. I love my country, but I and many real americans cannot afford any more Republican Presidents.

Think long and hard. Hitler had a huge following and was inspirational and where did that get Germany?????

May 8, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. Ian

Instead of encouraging people to "unite the party", why don't you just vote for the candidate that best matches your values and mind your own business?

May 8, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. Dr Jamgbadi SS

You can give her all the credit you wish. Afterall, she's just as stupid as you, if not more stupid.

May 8, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Mr C

My wife is Muslim and My Faith is with the king Jesus. We have a son. You would think we would vote Obama considering his background of having a white Christian Mother and Muslim Grand Father, however we want Hilary to win.

Looks like Obama is definitely in the lead and if he goes on to win, get ready for the Revolution because deep down Obama represents our family.

May 8, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Paul, Charlotte NC

"I'm not a math guy, I'm more of a miracle guy. So at this point I'm gonna focus on the miracle part."

And people think Hillary isn't religious.

May 8, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. NEVER obama

I'm white. I'm voting for Hillary. If I were black, I would still vote for Hillary. Obama is a liar and UNFIT to run this country. I will NEVER vote for him. You people talk about "coming together"........it's not going to happen. Don't you get it yet...........we don't like kool-aid and we don't want obama.

May 8, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. Ann

Well said, Mr. Huckabee. Also, well said Miss Elaine. The media has been driving this race from the beginning. We need to start thinking for ourselves. Considering that they (the media) have been falling all over themselves to nominate Obama and destroy Hillary's chances, I would say she is pretty amazing to be so close. She is definitely the person I want in the White House in these desperate times.

May 8, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Body Canada

Why question is Why didn't you stay to finsh?

May 8, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. Tobias

Obama has no chance of winning in the fall so we Clinton supporters will keep fighting for her. She has had to face an unfair and attacking press this entire campaign while Obama was given a free ride. Now that he's getting some pressure he does what he normally does and tells us to get over it well I'm not getting over it.

Clinton supporters are real Democrats not newly inspired young people who want a free ticket to a concert. We're choosing our president here and I want someone with experience. I want someone who can win in November. Vote smart, vote Clinton.

May 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. GL

Am I truly supposed to care what this Republican has to say about the Democratics? Huck you lost. Your 15 minutes were up months ago. Despite what you may think, IF Hillary steals this election you will not be her choice for VP. Move along people. Nothing to see here.

May 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |