May 9th, 2008

Edwards: Tough for Clinton to 'make the math work'

John Edwards said the math isn't working in Clinton's favor.
John Edwards said the math isn't working in Clinton's favor.

(CNN) – John Edwards still isn’t backing a candidate in this year’s Democratic primary race – but it looks like he might be ready to pick a winner.

The former presidential candidate told interviewers on NBC and MSNBC that Barack Obama will probably top the Democratic ticket this fall.

Hillary Clinton has said that she can still win the nomination – but "it's very difficult to make the math work," said Edwards.

Which one of the remaining contenders is best-equipped to beat presumptive Republican nominee John McCain? Edwards tried to avoid picking between the two – then chose Obama, because he said the Illinois senator was the probable Democratic nominee.

He added that he worried the continuing campaign could take a toll on the party’s presidential chances. “I think it’s fine for Hillary to keep making the case for her,” said the former North Carolina senator. “But when that shifts to everything that is wrong with him, then we’re doing damage instead of being helpful.”

Edwards has been heavily wooed by both the Clinton and Obama campaigns since he ended his presidential run in January, but has not publicly endorsed either candidate.

1. Don, Fl

This is one Dem that will be voting for Mccain & I know a lot more that will never vote for Obama, we dont need another George Bush & that is what Obama is.

May 9, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. H HEIDI

Forgive me but is anyone else as disappointed with Edwards as I am. He appears spine less in my eyes now. And I really didn't want to feel this way towards him.

May 9, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. OBAMA 08!

Edwards for VP!

Obama 08!

May 9, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. Wazntme

Hillary is done. And even more since she is making this a race issue. Whites vote for her and Blacks for Obama. She gets the catholic votes, come on. I am a senior citizen, catholic and white and have been for Obama from the start. it's over Hillary, you are making a fool of yourself. She don't know when to quit, sure glad she won't be answering the phone at 3am. people like her is what keeps this country divided. Race should not be an issue in campaigns anymore. She is dividing the races as well as the party.

May 9, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. Chuck, Oregonians for Obama

I completely agree with Edwards. Let her keep campaigning, but stick to her platform. It is time to stop the negative, focus on the positive, make her pitch, and hope for the best. Negative will only hurt her in the long run as it will only cause more damage to the Clinton name and reputation.

May 9, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. Lee WV

Come on John quit beating around the bush and help put an end to this mess that Hillary is causing.

May 9, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. Dan (TX)

We're talking "Village Math"! 2 + 2 = 5

Who cares about fuzzy things like delegate counts anyway – I deserve to be President because my last name is "Clinton."

All my white, "uneducated" supporters get it, why can't the rest of you get it? :)

May 9, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. A.K.

Edwards needs to get over himself; his political jockeying is pathetic. I respected his pushing of Katrina and other poverty issues, trying to keep Hillary and Obama honest, but now it appears that was just an angle.

May 9, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Alice

Thank you, John, for finally stating the obvious.

Listen up , Hillary!

May 9, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. Debby

Oh brother why can't these people just shut up till the primaries are over. Edwards you were my first pick for nominee but glad I found out what a weasel you really are. You would never get the Medical vote as you were the biggest ambulance chaser attorney out there.

May 9, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. nganga

Fence -sitters seams to know the game much better than the players!
    Nganga, Austin TX

May 9, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Steph

After the egghead comment on CNN by one of her surrogates/or supporter. Hillary lost me for good. If Edwards is serious about backing Obama he would have done it along time ago. It's gotten to the point where is endorsement won't mean nothing. Obama won Carolina with it.

May 9, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. Robert McCian

I think john is right, I too think its time to ask Ms.Clinton to stop her race and start pulling this party back together, we just cant afford another Bush term....

May 9, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  14. Adrian

Ummm I'm a Latino Attorney and my vote is foooor HILLARY! I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THAT FAKE OBAMA.

He will not win the election. And whoever is talking about how can we vote for McSame blah blah, well that may or may not be, because we also have third party candidates, and we can do and cast our vote for who we want, that s democracy, lol soooo. yeah.

OBAMA IS TOAST IN THE GE.

May 9, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. lopez

Saying at least that is better than saying nothing at all. Thanks.....it is getting close to the end for the selection process and every little bit helps.

May 9, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. gerald strother

GO OBAMA

May 9, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. Sumaya Conners. East Chatham, NY

Obama is arrogant and full of himself. Has anyone really listened to his speeches, I mean really listened – he says absolutely NOTHING!
    No solutions to any of the problems that face us.
    How does he think he can fix the problems of Bush presidency when he has not done anything in his political career?
    Would you hire an inexperienced CEO for your business??
    Why would you hire BO for the most difficult job in the world??

People are behaving like rock star followers – how pathetic.

May 9, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  18. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Mr. Edwards:

Are you suggesting that you're not going to support Hillary? Well, bust my buttons!

May 9, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. Deborah

Pride always comes before the fall....Take heed Hill!

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  20. Justin in Cambridge

EDWARDS: ENDORSE, PLEASE. LET'S MOVE ON.

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  21. FL Dem

Hey jay nyc – I'm white and hard working and it offends me too. Let's have "a better America" without all the divisive remarks from politicians.

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. Sunshine

I am an avid Obama supporter, however I do believe Hillary is entitled to get her $11 millions worth before she chooses to drop out.However if she starts crying or Bill breaks out the sax ,hopefully the superdelegates will save us the pain & immediately intervene.

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. Prince Kaywood

There seems to be some other mis-speaking besides the one that Hillary made. I keep hearing that whites will not vote for Obama, but when I see his rallys, ninety percent of the crowd seems to be white. Are they saying that young white people do not count as being white?

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. Donj, NJ

Edwards, just make an endorsment. Don't wait for too long because your endorsment may not matter at all, and you might lose your shot at VP.

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. Josh

Its all over..Obama has it..Hilary keep ur energy and run another time..

May 9, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |