May 9th, 2008

Kennedy says no to joint ticket

Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.
Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.

(CNN) – Add Obama supporter Sen. Ted Kennedy to the list of joint-ticket naysayers.

In an interview airing this weekend, the Massachusetts senator told Bloomberg’s Al Hunt that despite widespread talk of a ticket featuring both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, "I don't think it's possible."

He added that “…I would hope that he would also give consideration to somebody that has - is in tune with his appeal for the nobler aspirations of the American people. And I think if we had real leadership - as we do with Barack Obama - in the number-two spot as well, it'd be enormously helpful.”

Kennedy also said that he had not spoken with former President Bill Clinton since endorsing Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Carmon

Hillary supporters I was willing to vote for if she was the nominee at first but all this race-baiting, greed, and powertripping she is on has made me change my mine.

Also do you think you Mcsame Dems will try to ruin Baraks chances in Nov. and think that everyone will just forget about it if Hillary tries to run in 2012. Yeah right. She will not only have so many Republicans lining up to vote against her but all the Baraks supporters will come out in droves to make sure she will never win another election. She wont even be able to win a potatoe sack race let alone become the President of the US. Karma comes back 10x over for people like Hillary.

May 9, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Relevant

John McCain will OVERTURN ROE v WADE.

I don't care who wins the Democratic nomination, and neither should you.

No matter who the Democrats put up against McCain, WE MUST vote for them.

We absolutely CANNOT allow McCain to appoint judges that will overturn Roe v Wade.

You may not realize it yet, but THIS is THE MOST IMPORTANT issue in this entire election.

VOTE DEMOCRAT NO MATTER WHAT!

May 9, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Jim in Houston

Is it time to dust off the old "Draft Wesley Clark" movement? Could be a very good choice for VP.

May 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. AKRON, OHIO OBOMA SUPPORTER

I agree with ted if hillary become vp her and bill will try to take over the white house. so i agree with ted it would not be a good idea for hillary to become vp. we are looking for change

May 9, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. josh nyc

Oops. Reverse what he said: "if we had real leadership — as we do with Barack Obama — in the number-two spot..."

The party Beards don't think Hillary would be a good leader.

I agree.

May 9, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. Venus

To poster Carmon – above!

I agree! It won't do Hillary any good to try and run for 2012 – number one Obama will beat her again and as of today – Hillary has managed to turn off even more people to the point that they can't even stand Bill Clinton anymore!

Go Obama!

May 9, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. TIMBER

Thank God! What a disaster he would be...............

May 9, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. mimi de la cruz for OBAMA

HILLARY BY HER TOTAL LACK OF EVEN MINIMAL

ETHICS HAS MADE HERSELF COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

May 9, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. heart

why, because he's probably expecting he will be the one for VP spot

May 9, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Frankie

I guess Kennedy is making his bid for Vice President?!?

May 9, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. silence do good

Didn't Obama want to end Washington dynasties?
    What are the Kennedy's?
    Hypocrite!
    And Kennedy back Obama against the will of the people in his state – 2-for-1 hypocrite event!

If you are keeping track of the lies, the last one was where he said he was not campaigning in the government building you are not allowed to campaign in, where he was campaigning.

He does about one lie and/or hypocrite event per day.

May 9, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. Mary

"Nobler aspirations"? That is a diss to Hillary and her supporters. Kennedy should remind himself that while he personally may not be behind Clinton, millions of Americans have supported her. Love her or hate her, she has also brought many Democrats to the polls that will be needed by the Democratic nominee, whoever he or she may be.

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. Sandy

Ted Kennedy needs to mind his own business. I'm tired of all these people putting down Mrs. Clinton, especially Jack Cafferty.

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. JeromeM

Kennedy is still on the sauce and he has always hated the CLintons. This is the same man who got hoodwinked by Bush and his education bill. With friends like him who needs enemies.

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. LifeLongDemocrat

Teddy, should know. he has pulled a lot of crap in his day but couldn't make the White House. His brother got it through a lot of wheeling and dealing (on national TV no less).

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

YOU CAN PROBABLY GET $5. PER MONTH FROM US

IF YOU CAN KEEP HER OUT OF OUR SIGHT.

SHE HAS MADE IT HARDER FOR ANY WOMAN TO

RUN FOR THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE LAND.

AT FIRST ALL OF US SUPPORTED HER.

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Praetorian, Fort Myers

"The nobler aspirations of Americans???" What the hell is that?

Oh...I know, complete embrace of the platform of the American Socialist Party.

No thanks–not my ideal–and I pray that a majority of Americans feel the same way.

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. mik

Ted Kennedy toooo old

May 9, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Elisabeth

Obamas arrogans is not a quality regarding foreign politics. His insulting style and supercilious smile will make foreign leaders hesitate and distrust his abilities and intentions. Sorry for my bad English!

May 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Independent

Ouch! He just said that HRC doesn't represent "real leadership."

I support Obama, but stop slamming HRC!!!

May 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

Personally, I would like to see a woman on Barack's ticket as the VP, like te governor from Kansas (I believe). I am just not ready to concede that spot to Hillary right now. If she were to begin to publicly make some overtures to Barack and his supporters, I may warm up to the idea. Right now, the nerves are too raw to support Barack with her on the ticket.

May 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. Billy J Austin, TX

Carmon

I would refer you to your candidates supporters remarks on this very website, and then ask you "whuh?"

Not being for Obama does not make me or anybody else a racist. The best man at my wedding (and my best friend for many years) was black. I haven't asked him who he is voting for, he hasn't offered, but I can gaurantee you, he will respect my position, whether or not he agrees with it. As will I, his. But some of Obama's folks really do make me question my party. I wish there was a middle party, lord do I wish there was a middle ground party.

May 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. Adrian from Michigan

I am confident that Sen. Obama will pick the best person to be his VP and I am willing to bet my next pay check that it WILL NOT be hillary clinton....

May 9, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. Sarah

Born and raised in Boston and big Kennedy supporter all my life.

TED SHUT UP!

This Dem is voting McCain in November

Democrats are a Joke.

President Obama ? God help us all

May 9, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. jimmy

And who cares?? You talk about the same old establishment political people... that'd be the Kennedy's. Are they really still relevant?
    This guy has got to retire. He's milked his days from our taxes for decades.

Obama change = Kennedy and Kerry (same ole, same ole)

May 9, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |