May 9th, 2008

Kennedy says no to joint ticket

Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.
Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.

(CNN) – Add Obama supporter Sen. Ted Kennedy to the list of joint-ticket naysayers.

In an interview airing this weekend, the Massachusetts senator told Bloomberg’s Al Hunt that despite widespread talk of a ticket featuring both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, "I don't think it's possible."

He added that “…I would hope that he would also give consideration to somebody that has - is in tune with his appeal for the nobler aspirations of the American people. And I think if we had real leadership - as we do with Barack Obama - in the number-two spot as well, it'd be enormously helpful.”

Kennedy also said that he had not spoken with former President Bill Clinton since endorsing Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Susie

It would be a REALLY bad idea to put Billary on the ticket. You'll see how fast the republicans pull out all kinds of dirt if that happens. The Clintons have too much baggage and WILL cost the democrats the presidency.

We need to rally behind our new democratic nominee and stop being so childish. We all know that if McSame gets into office get ready to stand in bread lines!

May 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Anita

LEAVE Mrs. CLINTON! Why is it that "people" can't see true talent & experience when it's right before their eyes?
    She is what America needs right now.A women with balls.

May 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. After further review,Texas

This guy knows how to waterboard,Just ask anyone that knew Mary Joe.

May 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Independent99999

I would not vote for Obama if he picks up Hillary as VP or even considers her for a Cabinet post. She needs to be sent packing home. Period

May 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Mikie

Whites must face the facts: Blacks can use race but Whites can't. Rev Sharpton can stand up and belittle Hillary Clinton but NO ONE can say a frickin thing against St. Barack Obama.

Whites have no race cards only Blacks do.

May 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

I am so very proud of my White brothers and sisters that see beyond race and color. God Bless them they are the trure American Patriots.

May 9, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Tjaye

NO JOINT TICKET!! She has proven she can't be trusted. NO NO NO!!!

I will DEFINITELY stay home if he lets her run as VP. She is a backstabbing *rhymes with a halloween costume she likely has*.

NO WAY!!

She will only try to sabotage him. Besides, she didn't want it then, why does she want it now. Give up. Let someone else be the first woman president. She blew it!

Obama O-8! UNLESS he brings Hillary on board...NO NO NO!!

May 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Brian

Ted Kennedy IS the old politics that Obama is trying to get rid of!

How can he of all people talk about "nobler aspirations."

The American people still haven't forgotten about his DUI accident in which he let his friend drown. He really shows leadership, right!

May 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

knowing what hillary is willing to do to get to the presidency... why would he make her his VP....

and then for the next 4-8 years need a Taster every time she offers him a cup of coffee or stick of gum!!!!

(c'mon cnn... you KNOW ITS FUNNY!!!)

post this..

May 9, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. Ada

If Barak pick Hillary as his VP, I will never blog in support of him again.

Obama/Anybody but Hillary

May 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Maria Boggiano

Ted is right on target this time. I give him kudos for standing against the Clinton political machine. I admire him more than ever. For every democrat that threatens to vote for MCain there will be an independent or republican vote switch. I just read an e-mail from a hard core republican who is voting democrat for the first time. I see many e-mails like that.
    Jim Webb, governor of VA would be an escellent VP. He was a republican once, with military service, and it would put VA into play this election. With him and Obama, they would be unstoppable.

May 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. Elisabeth

John F. Kennedy almost started a third World War.

May 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  13. franco

Obama dodged the Army! yep, a real patriot!! what a loser!

May 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Brian

Obama should be able to pick his running mate not have it forced on him!

May 9, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  15. shannonL

Is it me...or does Kennedy hate the Clintons? Maybe he hates that they took over the party that he thinks his family owns?

May 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  16. Daisy

i would like to see a woman to be in oval office.
    However, Hillary kept going negative really turned me off.
    I want to see a candidate (male or female, gay or straight, white, black or yellow) with more resilient temperament to be elected as US president.

May 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. jake

Kennedy was a "lady killer" if you get my DRIFT. He left her there in the car and covered his butt. Obama supporters or followers, are most racist bunch of people I've ever come across. If that is who his followers are, MAN GET HIM OUT OF THE OFFICE. No way do we need a racist as President. Obama's done enough damage already to this country.

May 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. Felly

The Clintons think that they are entitled to the presidency. No more Bush-Clinton dynasty, nada!

May 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. spencer

Like Kennedy even matters............

May 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Caroline

ToMaria – Obama is exactly what foreign countries and governments want . Do your homework. I can add my two cents as I have duel citizenship and spend much time in Canada and Europe.

May 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. SHIRLEY-OHIO

Obama is a very intelligent man. He is not going to ask her to be the VP. Why are people concern about a joint ticket with Hillary. This is never going the happen and it shouldn't.

May 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Baby Boomer

I agree with Ted. She is not the answer for VP. I like Ed Rendell from PA. He could deliver PA and he is a political machine. Clark would not be that bad of choice either.

May 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Ostriches burying our heads in the sand

Sen. Kennedy...let's wait till the primaries are over....BO will get to select his Veep after that...

Jim in houston...I agree with you...Wes Clark would be a good choice I think.....

May 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. Susan Missouri

Hold on.....

Obama has not won yet.

Hillary is still fighting!

Hillary 08:)

May 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. Wayne

Im with you. Jim Webb is the obvious choice for president.

Hillary was no war hero..though she did manage to catch bullets with her teeth while in Bosnia. She was the first first lady to actually catch a sniper bullet with her teeth so she knows foriegn policy.

May 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |