May 9th, 2008

Kennedy says no to joint ticket

Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.
Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.

(CNN) – Add Obama supporter Sen. Ted Kennedy to the list of joint-ticket naysayers.

In an interview airing this weekend, the Massachusetts senator told Bloomberg’s Al Hunt that despite widespread talk of a ticket featuring both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, "I don't think it's possible."

He added that “…I would hope that he would also give consideration to somebody that has - is in tune with his appeal for the nobler aspirations of the American people. And I think if we had real leadership - as we do with Barack Obama - in the number-two spot as well, it'd be enormously helpful.”

Kennedy also said that he had not spoken with former President Bill Clinton since endorsing Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Elu

I am from California , all my relatives said if Hillary does not win the nomination they will all vote for McCain come GE....and so am I......Sorry but Obama will not get my vote at all...I am not a racist and I hate it when they accuse you of being racist just because you do not want to vote for Obama..OBAMA LIES!!!!!! GO HILLARY!!!!!

May 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. That one white person who will vote for Obama!

No HIllary for VP, Barack would have to sleep with one eye open!

May 9, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. Margaret

It appears that Kennedy is speaking for Obama. This is exactly the kind of leadership will will have with Barack. He ulimately will not be in control.

May 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Peter Damoah-Afari

Great people like Bloomberg are available to be Obama's VP. Why worry about a rival who does not want to pull out gracefully?

May 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. George

Ted you are absolutely right as bad company corrupt good mind.

May 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. NEVER QUIT

TED WHO?? Oh the senator that didn't bring New Hampshire to Obama. WORTHLESS!!!

May 9, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Peter Damoah-Afari

Ah, my heart is calm now, and my soul is pleased to hear the nice comment made by Capt. Smash. God bless you too Capt. Smash.

May 9, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. NANTABA, MA

I am a Hillary supporter and I dont like this fat old hypocrite but I have to agree with him!!! NO OBAMA/HILLARY TICKET PLLEEEAAASE!! HILLARY YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR #2

May 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Heather

If Teddy Kennedy wanted to make his bid he would have done so a long time ago, he is just speaking the truth. I would love to see a woman on Obama's ticket, but not Hillary. She has proved time and time again she is looking out for her and Bill, not the american people.

May 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Polly

Shut your BIG MOUTH,

I want vote if her name is not on the ticket

May 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. Sure

So we have 50% of the party going for Obama and 50% for Clinton. With my understanding thats 100% of the party if they do a joint ticket.

May 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. ca

Nobler aspirations? You can have him.

May 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. tidho

Hillary isn't an option for Obama. It would have been a bad fit given his platform of 'say know to old Washington' a month ago, but after she went negative its not even an option anymore.

VP: Mark Warner...I think is Obama's perfect fit.
    ...southern Democrat
    ...former Governor
    ...brings a pretty big state with him
    ...legitimate foreign policy connections
    ...not knee deep in Washington politics
    ...

May 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. Jennifer - American living in Canada

Really ....everyone is talking about Sen Obama's running mate for the General Election while Sen Clinton is still running in the Primaries. There is something wrong with this picture. Maybe we'll all wake up soon and this would be all over.

May 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Norm

Maybe Kennedy should offer Obama a ride over a bridge for a beer to give him the bad news Ombama my black friend, Your unelectable

May 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Hail President McCain

Guess the election is already over, all hail President McCain.

Did anyone really think Obama would be electable in general election? Instead of winning the election, Democrats stand to lose even more states with nominee Obama.

How sad Democrats already forgot about the lesson of George McGovern and the consequence of nominating the unelectable. It takes a blown election to remind that painful lesson once again.

I hope Democrats go through primary reform after this year's blown election. Back to "Winner takes all" formula, no more superdelegates. When Republicans keep winning elections and democrats keep losing, Democrats must learn from Republicans and adapt their way of political nomination process.

May 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. bigben

Clinton supporters time for a new party. lets leave

May 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Someone tell the Gimmick Candidate Carl Rove is on the phone, he has something to tell her.

From what I heard, the GOP dumped Hillary after Tuesday. They thanked her for her hard work and how she followed their every instruction but they declined her membership application to the GOP party, they called her a JUDAS :o

Hillary Clinton, The Gimmick candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything "08 :D

May 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. shannonL

I don't understand. You approve a comment saying that Kennedy should die, but don't post my harmless comment?

May 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. jimmy vekmen

HILLARY CLINTON WILL WIN THE POPULAR VOTE. THE BACKLASH AGAINST OBAMA HAS JUST STARTED.
    MCCAIN AND THE GOP ARE JUST STARTING THE FIRE UNDER OBAMA'S PLATFORM . THE BIGGIES WILL COME SOON AS THE PRIMARIES END.

May 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. m,aca

KENNEDY- SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HILLARY WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!

May 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Jenny, TX

Who is gonna vote for you anyway, Mr. Kennedy?????????

Hillary '08

May 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Has the Gimmick Candidate announced she just met with David Blaine and he showed her how to levitate which qualifies her to the nomination yet?

Hillary Clinton, The Gimmick candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything "08 :D

May 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. Hail President McCain

BTW, you can be sure Hillary will be back in 2012. Obama won't be.

May 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. bigben

Obama only won because the dnc didnt allow MI and FL to vote. you weak obamabots

May 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |