May 9th, 2008

Kennedy says no to joint ticket

Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.
Ted Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama last January.

(CNN) – Add Obama supporter Sen. Ted Kennedy to the list of joint-ticket naysayers.

In an interview airing this weekend, the Massachusetts senator told Bloomberg’s Al Hunt that despite widespread talk of a ticket featuring both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, "I don't think it's possible."

He added that “…I would hope that he would also give consideration to somebody that has - is in tune with his appeal for the nobler aspirations of the American people. And I think if we had real leadership - as we do with Barack Obama - in the number-two spot as well, it'd be enormously helpful.”

Kennedy also said that he had not spoken with former President Bill Clinton since endorsing Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. J.Onofre -CA

Kennedy is so smart!

May 9, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. Dan, MA

Cheers, Ted, for making the right call. Obama's the right person for the position, like I've been saying since last year. People like "silence do good" think that the state of MA is still pro-Clinton. But most of the state has changed their minds about her. After all the crap she's slung, I bet a lot of you people regret voting for her. I for one, will vote for Obama again in November because I don't want to lose the quality of health care we have now, watch the economy fall apart, or see my country embroiled in any more war.

May 9, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Terry H

Kennedy should have been in jail years ago. Why does the media even give him a platform? Even Kennedy doesn't have enough money to buy the presidency for Obama. mark my words, Obama WILL NOT win the general election. There is a vast democratic network preparing to unsurp any chance he thinks he has. Just say NO to OBAMA!

May 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. vicki

Its 2010...., The president of the USA – Barack already brought our troops from Iraq, he improved our economy, he increased our life standard and Clinton is still compaining and still making case to DNC that she is more electable.

May 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Sheryl

I was a registered Independent for 38 years. I switched to the Democratic party this year, but after all the Democratic whining about wanting Sen. Clinton to drop out of the campaign, I'll be registering as an Independent again. There has been a record turn out of voters from all states, yet the Democrats don't want to let all the voters voices to be heard. This will disenfranchise many voters. I will be voting this November by writing in Sen. Clinton's name. I hope other Clinton Supporters will join me as I will not vote for John McCain or Barack Obama

May 9, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. VoteforAmerica

Ted...you have a pal who is even more left to you. Thanks for endorsement. This is the endorsement that will turn off the moderates and independents.

May 9, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Venus The Super star

If there is not a joint ticket, he will not be able to win the general election. This guy is inexperienced enough as it is, come on!!! what are you people thinking? Your trying to put someone who has only been in the senate for 3.5 years. Is this a JOKE ? My guess obama has already promised someone else the VP seat, so now he's trying to distract people from thinking about a joint ticket with Hillary. Let's face it, the General election is Already over.

May 9, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. American Girl

I agree. I think that HIllary and Bill will undermind Barack all the way. Besides, she will bargin to pay off her debt adn tell white voters he did not want her. That way she can campaign against him and run in 2012.

I think he shoudl offer her
    1. A Supreme Court Justice position
    2. A Cabinet Position
    3. A cup of Coffee and A ride back to NY

May 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. frank

I like Hillary and have contributed to defeating Bush in the last two elections. However, if Obama wins the nomination, the party's left wing's (Ted's) Hillary bashing will just encourage me and other more moderate Democrats to sit on our hands election-time.

May 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. John

You know what, i can't stand the unfair treatments against Hillary. Obama can get the nomination the dirty way he wants with the help of the press. However, everyone from my family and I will not vote for him in the general election. We will instead vote republician. I believe many hillary supporters would do the same. I really want to see how Obama can win when half of Hillary's support vote republician. I guess at the end, justice will serve.

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Steve

I do not see Obama and Hillary on the same ticket period. He will be looing over his shoulder at Bill for the next four years! Secondly, being VP will dampen here opportunity to head a ticket in 2012. I don't think she will go for it! Besides he needs somone with executive experience and knows how to run a budget . He needs a Governor as his running mate (Richardson)???

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. oliver

No Hillary! Period!

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Tejano

Again you fail to post my positive comments on Hillary Rodham Clinton.
    Stop the Bias.

Hillary cannot and will not take second position to the Racial Candidate, Barak Hussein Obama.

She has done the Nation a favor in exposing him for what he really represents. And for that we are grateful.

Had the information on Rev. Wright been brought forward early in the primary season, before New Hampshire, She would be the only candidate available to the Democrarts.

There is no way that Obama can carry the Democratic party to victory in November without the Hillary Democrats. The majority of the vote will go to McCain.

Hispanics are already moving to the Republican column and this will accelerate the exodus. About time too.

May 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Terrence (Winston Salem,NC)

Hillary is done. I doubt that she will be back in 2012, especially if Barack loses. Her actions have burnt her in the eyes of the American people. She has become such a whiner that many will cringe if her name is mentioned in nomination of another office. The very thing that makes her admirable (being a fighter) is the very thing that did her in. She doesn't know when to concede. She's the type to go out kicking and screaming – not very presidential.

Also, let's face it, most of her base is older people. She may lose a few backers as younger people become able to vote in 2012.

I am not a Clinton basher (at least my tone on her has softened) but I think her actions now have to be seen (even by her supporters) as a little silly now.

May 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. AC 360

Yeah this is just the begining of the problem. Hillary well for the divisiveness. I pray the Domocrats find a common ground.

May 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  16. ruby

I still think Ted Kennedy is a sexist. Unfortunately he will lose a lot of people's respect. And who is he to talk. I heard/read about how he reacted when he ran for president.....

May 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. Independent

What doesn't Hillary and the DNC understand? WE DON"T WANT HILLARY, PERIOD!! sHE HAS DONE NOTHING BUT TRY TO DIVIDE THIS PARTY, AND CONINUES TO DO SO. sHE AND bILL HAVE LOST THE RESPECT THEY ONCE HAD. oBAMA IS OUR CHOICE!

May 9, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. Corey, Maryland

Obama Richardson 2008!!!!!

May 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. charles

Mr Kennedy is sooo right like all others who see Sen. Clinton as bringing so much negativity into the race that it would now be impossible to amend. There is virtually too much water under the bridge. It would be a contradiction. After all, Obama was not good enough for president and possibly not even VP. How can you pick the same viper as VP. Philadelphia will never be forgotten.

May 9, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. Beth in PA

Much as I'd love Senator Clinton to get the vice-presidency with nearly half of voting democrats supporting her, I think there's too much bad blood between the two. They wouldn't be able to cooperate effectively and convincingly as a team.
    I'm hoping Obama will choose Katherine Sebelius. She's governor of a red state, and she'll please Hillary's female constituency as well as some of the "bitter" small town voters Obama has pissed off.

May 9, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  21. Cathy

OMG Ted Kennedy knows best..give me a break.. He and Kerry just want to control Barack. I will be sitting home during the general election. So tired of the hate towards the Clintons. It's interesting, Barack talks of taking a higher road, while his campaign people and his supporters mouth hate. Sorry, but i never heard him speak out about this treatment against Hillary. Being a democrat all my life, this election really disturbs me. The caucus primaries are a joke, so unamerican. Most people had to work. If the party doesn't change this stupid process in the future, I will become an independent.

May 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. Aditi

Sounds like he is prepping himself for the position. Surely, they will take a divided democratic party to become the biggest loser. Sounds good to me. Another 100 years of war, a bankrupt nation.

May 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. Chief lagosboy, NJ

Ted, you are so right and I thank you for your honesty. You sir, are truly a great American! Hillary, is a disappointment and a disgrace to this great country. Obama, we need change! Please do not nominate her as your VP, she is no good, she is a Bigot and a Race Baiter. ”Dream Team” more like “Dumb Team”. Obama, please get a Food Taster in case you make the silly mistake and she becomes your VP, a word to the wise.
    Congratulation Obama, we are almost home!

Our President Obama 08’ & 12’

May 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. John-Douglas

Both candidates have groveled over there undying support of Israel . The whole middle east quagmire is as a result of the U.S. policy in backing the most unbending nation in the world . The treatment of the Palestinian Arabs has been nothing short of being disgraceful . As jimmy Carter replied on Larry King live ,when asked why more politician don't support his thinking in settling the Israel ,Palestinian conflict ,his simple reply was"because they would never get elected" . Can you imagine the U.S. putting up with Canada arbitrarily putting up 200 developments in the North West of thee U.S. ,grabbing the land without payment and declaring those area's under Canadian jurisdction.,and expecting a peaceful solution ,

May 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. Bayou Joe

Caroline.... Stay in Canada. Good Socialist Country. Enjoy your Medical care.

Fortunately Americans get to vote not foreign countries. The next time Europe is invaded we should all stay home. Also, Canada needs to pay for it's own defense., instead of relying on my tax dollars for their defense.

May 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |